IGNORED

Astrovisuon/astrocade black screen

Cdstahlman

Just acquired my astrocade system. It's a unit produced by astrovisuon. I've tinkered mildly with it, but all it produces so far is a black screen.

I was going to recap it, and also replace the rf modulator.

I'm new to this system, so any links to reference material or test protocols id appreciate. I'll join the yahoo group, and will also check out the ballyalley page.

Thanks,

Chris

Just a few suggestions...

If you have someone local that will assist you, it may save time and effort to swap your ICs and/or custom chips into a known working unit to make sure they are not the issue before you do the other work. It's a little daunting for some to perform this work with their precious working Astrocade (and you can't really blame them). But it sure does save time and effort if you can find a brave sole to participate. I would help you if you are in my neck of the woods.

Also, check the incoming power to make sure the supply is working correctly. Do this under load (plugged in and the unit on) but don't short anything out during your measurements. Sorry, but I don't have the numbers handy for what it should be producing. I would not leave it on too long in the state you described it to be in.

You could also carefully remove any socketed ICs, carefully clean the legs and re-seat them. This has brought several vintage systems back from death's door for me including one Astrocade and a Fairchild Channel F.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you. I'm located about a hour north of Pittsburgh, PA.

I cleaned the entire board, and pulled, cleaned, and reseated all the socketed chips. Still no luck. I'm probably going to send it out for repair. (To Ken).

I'll have to test the power supply, all I know is that it does something, as the screen goes black when powered on.

On a good note though, my channel F is working, and I just finished cleaning it up as well.

Edited by Cdstahlman

You could also carefully remove any socketed ICs, carefully clean the legs and re-seat them. This has brought several vintage systems back from death's door for me including one Astrocade and a Fairchild Channel F.

Cleaning the legs on sockets ICs has fixed a dead Astrocade for you?!? Wow! I know that it works for ROM-- but I never really gave this any thought for a regular IC. Now it seems completely obvious!

Adam

Just acquired my astrocade system. It's a unit produced by astrovisuon. I've tinkered mildly with it, but all it produces so far is a black screen.

If you have the ability to burn your own ROM images, then you can try using MCM Design/Michael Matte's SetScreen 2, an upgraded Bally Arcade/Astrocade troubleshooting utility that can be used for diagnosing an Astrocade that comes up with just a black screen.

http://www.ballyalley.com/faqs/faqs.html#SetScreen2AnAstrocadeTroubleshootingUtility

SetScreen 2 is an improved version of the original SetScreen, a machine language routine. Setscreen 2 is a visual troubleshooting tool that can be used to help diagnose a failed Astrocade motherboard producing a blank TV screen at power-up. Details are provided in Troubleshooting the Bally/Astrocade Motherboard Power-Up with SetScreen, A New Tool. SetScreen 2 now has added routines to help a troubleshooter further investigate what is or is not going on with a motherboard graphics-wise and to provide more information to diagnose and isolate a problem area. A read routine is also included for a user who can connect a homemade dual 7-segment display.

Good luck fixing your Astrocade! When you get it working, making sure to play a two-player game of The Incredible Wizard and Dogpatch! The Astrocade's game library is small, but it is made up of high quality games!

Adam

I typed the hexadecimal values from Michael Matte's SetScreen 2 into a hex editor and then ran the ROM image under MAME. The program works fine. I've attached the binary image of SetScreen 2 as "SETSCRN2.bin." Here it is:

SETSCRN2.bin

The binary file is 246 bytes long, it has not been padded-out to an even binary number (like 2048 bytes for a 2K EPROM). Again, this is just the raw version of the handwritten program; I suppose it's possible that there could be an error, but I did double-check the work and ran the program under emulation (but not on real hardware-- although, of course, Michael was running it on real hardware). Consider this program an initial release. Now that I have SetScreen 2 running, I may still try to get the source code into order for use with the ZMac assembler, but that doesn't seem as important now.

I've taken five screenshots SetScreen 2 while it is running. Remember, it's a troubleshooting utility, so it looks simple, but what it's doing would be very helpful to someone that had an Astrocade that starts with a blank screen (yes, the idea is that the program will display the initial screen even on some Astrocades that start up with a blank or black screen and don't go to the main menu). Keep in mind that the program, when it's checking pixel write routines, has a constantly changing pattern on the screen. Just by looking at the "Initial Display" screenshot and reading the program's instructions, you can get an idea of what is going on that IS working on the hardware.

1) SetScreen 2_01 (Start-Up Screen - Initial Display).gif

post-4925-0-04241800-1517336052.gif

2) SetScreen 2_02 (Pixel 0 Write Routine).gif

post-4925-0-51795100-1517336079.gif

3) SetScreen 2_03 (Pixel 1 Write Routine).gif

post-4925-0-61024900-1517336110.gif

4) SetScreen 2_04 (Pixel 2 Write Routine).gif

post-4925-0-43782100-1517336133.gif

5) SetScreen 2_05 (Pixel 3 Write Routine).gif

post-4925-0-95105800-1517336159.gif

In order to understand what SetSceen 2 is doing (and how to use it, as you give input to the program from the keypad), you need to read both of these documents:

1) Troubleshooting the Bally/Astrocade Motherboard Power-Up with SetScreen, A New Tool

http://www.ballyalley.com/faqs/faqs.html#TroubleshootingtheAstrocade

2) SetScreen 2 - An Upgraded Bally Arcade/Astrocade Troubleshooting Utility

http://www.ballyalley.com/faqs/faqs.html#SetScreen2AnAstrocadeTroubleshootingUtility

I hope others find this program useful. Thanks for writing this program, Michael!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

Cleaning the legs on sockets ICs has fixed a dead Astrocade for you?!? Wow! I know that it works for ROM-- but I never really gave this any thought for a regular IC. Now it seems completely obvious!

Adam

I don't remember which "chip" it was. :) I said "IC" but I cannot say for sure which component it was. It was socketed. Also, it may not have been the only issue. But I distinctly remember my joy when an Astrocade came to life after performing a leg cleaning of some socketed, chip-like component. Same with the Fairchild Channel F.

But, though it is expensive, takes up space, makes my wife unhappy and keeps another human from having a cool, old system, I have multiple Astrocades and multiples of almost all of my vintage systems to ensure continued functionality through component swapping, spare parts, etc. Am I a hoarder? I sure don't want to be. But where in the EXPLETIVE DELETED can a guy find spare Astrocade custom chips?!?!?!

Can't some genius make replacements using new and modern tech?

I sure don't want to be. But where in the EXPLETIVE DELETED can a guy find spare Astrocade custom chips?!?!?!

Not all of the custom chips in the Astocade are impossible to find. Two of the three were used in multiple arcade machines, so, yes, they're hard to find-- but not-quite-impossible to get a hold of in these times of Internet search engines and people selling used parts. If nothing else, they can be had by purchasing a working arcade board. The Astrocade's data chip is the only custom chip that (I don't think) was used in any other arcade system. When that one's toast, then you must get a working data chip from another Astrocade. Yeah, I can see you rolling your eyes. That ain't gonna happen, is it?

When I bought the Arcadian collection, it came with many NOS custom chips (mostly data chips). I never used them. A couple of years ago I passed them all on to Ken Lill in exchange for him fixing an Astrocade of mine. He sent the console back saying that when he got it, that it worked fine for him. When he sent it back to me it worked for me too. That's the first (and only) time that I've ever heard of the post office fixing an old game console during shipping. Thanks USPS!

Adam

• Like 2