IGNORED

Multiplan Program DSK

bchamb88

• 10 months later...

One of the ‘most’ powerful production pieces but very UNDER USED pieces of software every written for the TI99/4A was Microsoft Multiplan! It could be used for creating spreadsheets for finances, mailing lists, inventory records {such as databases}, school grading records, and etc.

There have been other spreadsheet programs for the TI99/4A:

TI99/4A CALC

Freeform

SNAPCALC

Vector CALC

However not one of them could match the degree of sophistication that Microsoft Multiplan displayed. Learning to use Microsoft Multiplan was also great preparation for learning how to used the later “standard” Excel!

To learn how to create spreadsheets, I once converted most of the Scott Forsman cartridges to spreadsheets for the TI99/4A for Microsoft Multiplan program.

I then took on the task of converting the very thorough Home Budget Management cartridge to a spreadsheet for the TI99/4A with the Microsoft Multiplan program; there was just one “tiny” problem! The largest file that could be created was only around 12K and that was just enough to get three (3) months of data on the spreadsheet, so to view a full year’s budget I had to break the year into four (4) quarters. When the Myarc Geneve 9640 was introduced with its 64K of memory for those type of files when running in the TI99/4A mode, I made a full one (1) year spreadsheet for the 9640 and it can be found on the WHT Site under 9640 files.

When I switch totally to IBM PC files for my serious business purposes, I learn to create Excel spreadsheets and then made a clone of the Home Budget Management cartridge in Excel format and had it published on the https://www.vertex42.com website. That cartridge was first published in 1978 and the budget categories and tax categories lasted until 2018 when the new tax laws took place. Too bad all three (TI99/4A Cartridge, TI99/4A & Geneve 9640 spreadsheets, and the Excel spreadsheet) are now OBSOLETE pieces of software.

One of the great things about the many different commercial spreadsheet programs is that they have a file sharing format of SYLK where a spreadsheet written on one principles could be shared with another program including Microsoft Multiplan. So even today in 2018 the TI99/4A can share simple spreadsheets written on other computer types.

tutor1.pdftutor2.pdf

Here is a series of Microsoft Multiplan Templates:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_y_L9EkmQbc8FuDtdsHuvx0BElaj2k7c

Edited by ewbray
  • Like 2

Note, there were at least two other TI cartridge-based spreadsheet programs:

Console Calc (from DataBioTics, also known as TI Planner)

and TI-Calc (from TI, but only released in Europe)

I have a copy of TI Planner for Win994a; it is a 8K ROM cartridge, that I can get to load but never run, from what I have seen it appears to be another simple spreadsheet program that doesn't approach the degree of sophistication of Vector Calc and of course Microsoft Multiplan. For simple and quick calculations, its cost/benefit over Microsoft Multiplan was advantageous to the users with limited systems just like TI99/4A Calc.

Do note: TI-Calc is NOT the same as TI-99/4A CALC. The first is a sophisticated spreadsheet program released on cartridge by TI, designed to be used on unexpanded (or expanded) TI systems, unlike Multiplan which required system expansion. The second is an Extended BASIC program on cassette that has a lot of useful functions--but also all of the limitations imposed by the Extended BASIC environment. It says nothing towards which program (TI-Calc or Multiplan) is a better program, as both had very different use cases when released. I have a TI-Calc cartridge (there is one in the linked picture) on its way to me now, so I'll be doing some experimentation in the near future.

Edited by Ksarul

Do note: TI-Calc is NOT the same as TI-99/4A CALC. The first is a sophisticated spreadsheet program released on cartridge by TI, designed to be used on unexpanded (or expanded) TI systems, unlike Multiplan which required system expansion. The second is an Extended BASIC program on cassette that has a lot of useful functions--but also all of the limitations imposed by the Extended BASIC environment. It says nothing towards which program (TI-Calc or Multiplan) is a better program, as both had very different use cases when released. I have a TI-Calc cartridge (there is one in the linked picture) on its way to me now, so I'll be doing some experimentation in the near future.

The Microsoft Multiplan cartridge was released in 1981, while the TI-Calc cartridge was released in 1983.

TI-99/4A Calc {released in 1984, however the program has copyright dates of 1981, 1982, & 1983} was NOT designed to run in Extended Basic! It was written to run on very minimal systems of just a TI99/4A console (with just TI BASIC) & Cassette player/recorder (pg. 22 of Manual). TI-994A Calc.pdf

The sophistication of Microsoft Multiplan allows the creator of the spreadsheet to do advanced mathematics such as square roots, sines, cosines, logs (10), tangents, and etc. as well as simple averages of cell groups; which no other spreadsheet program (TI-99/4A Calc, TI-Calc, Vector Calc, & etc.) for the TI99/4A can even approach this degree of versatility. Microsoft Multiplan's list of functions available to the user are too numerous to list in this narrative. Microsoft Multiplan - Guide & Template.pdf

With Microsoft Multiplan's degree of sophistication and versatility makes it IDEAL for doing; Modelling and Planning, Household Finance Planning, Business Accounts and Budgeting, Invoices, Wages, Predictions / Simulations, Break even analysis, Statistical analysis, Collect data from different sources (e.g. phone number, prices.), & Explore and interpret data in order to draw conclusions for business.

In making a comparison of ALL of the spreadsheet programs for the TI99/4A; using Microsoft Multiplan is like driving a Silver Shadow Rolls Royce while using the other spreadsheet programs (TI-99/4A Calc, TI-Calc, Vector Calc, & etc.) is more like driving a Model T Ford.

Edited by ewbray

If anyone is interested, I scanned my Multiplan manual back in 2017 and made a PDF out of it since I never saw one in the wild. If you want it, it's attached below.

Also for those who want to try Multiplan out, but don't have a cartridge, you don't need one, if you have a FinalGROM.

Just click << HERE >> to get the .BIN.

TI-Microsoft Multiplan.pdf

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, gferluga said:

Do we have available the Multiplan cart on disk?

Not the original program floppy. Just the module.

To be executed from CF7+ or Nano PEB.

The same would be nice for TI-Writer.

We have many games but very few applications around.

Thanks in advance.

there is no way to do that.  both of the carts require memory expansion and are large enough to take all of it if you loaded the programs into memory.. 

as for word processing there's a package called funlweb that you will find is equivalent to ti-writer in every way.. and runs from ex basic or editor assembler carts.. 

http://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/pc99 dsk collection/WordProcessing/FUNLWEB/

if you get a finalgrom99 cart (I have them in stock in my store) you can load either/any cart pretty much into a sd card and away you go

Greg

22 minutes ago, gferluga said:

Thanks everyone for your answers.

However, my white PAL 99/4a, with blue power button, doesn't see the FinalGrom99 cart.

I can plug many TI cart, but not that one.

On screen (C) shows 1981

Any idea?

Try a different SD card. One of mine could see the finalrom sd a let me select games today. But the other finalgrom could not, and it would not show on screen. But when I used a compatible sd it would show up.