IGNORED

Atari Flashback® 8 Gold Activision Edition Genesis Controller Issue

Hello All,

Santa brought me an Atari FB 8 Gold Activision edition this past Christmas. I've been thoroughly enjoying it. I decided to hook up one of my old wired aftermarket Genesis controllers to play with as my hands were getting tired using one of the the included wireless joysticks. The flashback seems to recognize it, but only up and down seem to be working on the Gamepad. If I press up or down on the directional pad, It moves up and down in the menu or a selected game, but If I press left or right on the D-pad, it goes up and down, not left or right. Also, no fire buttons work. I have tried with the slow motion switch on the back of the controller set to off and then tried with it set to on. I don't have access to my original Sega branded 3 button or 6 button Genesis controllers right now nor do I have a wired Atari Joystick currently to try out. I'm wondering if anyone has an aftermarket Champ JS-303 model Genesis Controller and can attempt to duplicate the above issue. I have 2 of these Champ controllers and they both work fine on My Sega Genesis but both display the above issue when used on the Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition.

I'll be able to grab my Sega Branded 3 button and 6 button controllers next month. I'm just hoping this is a compatibility issue with the aftermarket gamepads and not a defective Flashback itself.

Edit: I forgot to mention the above behavior occurs on both controllers ports with both identical controllers.

Thanks for any advice!

XT

Edited by XT

Thanks MrBeefy. Do you think an original Atari joystick controller from a VCS/2600 would work, or maybe it would it have to be an AtGames repro 2600 Controller like the ones that come with the wired flashback 8?

I tested 2 original Sega branded controllers with my Activision Edition Flashback today (a 3-button and a 6-button), and neither of them worked. I was kinda surprised that even the 3-button doesn't work but oh well. My 7800 converted NES pad works fine and I like the wireless controllers in this past year's release. The 2.4ghz wireless function is legit.

KevinMos3,

Thanks for trying that out! Much appreciated. So, it looks like it's official.. No Sega branded 3 button or 6 button Genesis controllers and the Champ aftermarket Genesis controllers will not work on the wireless Flashback 8 Activision Edition. I wonder if they would work on the Wired non Activision edition..

If you have a moment and you own one or both, would you please try out an original Atari branded CX-10 and/or CX-40 controller(s) and see if they work?

Thanks!

...I wonder if they would work on the Wired non Activision edition..

If you have a moment and you own one or both, would you please try out an original Atari branded CX-10 and/or CX-40 controller(s) and see if they work?

No, there's no real difference between the standard Gold and the Activision Edition. The only difference is that the Activision one has more of the Activision games. The games that are Gold exclusives are actually on the Activision Edition, but omitted from the gamelist that the menu application uses. It's also missing the Frogger and Space Invaders apps from the system folders, although the folders are there. (These 2 games are actually Android apps of the arcade games). :)

As for Atari joysticks, yes, any Atari joysticks should work with the Atari Flashbacks. All that I've tried have worked, including 7800 controllers.

No, there's no real difference between the standard Gold and the Activision Edition. The only difference is that the Activision one has more of the Activision games. The games that are Gold exclusives are actually on the Activision Edition, but omitted from the gamelist that the menu application uses. It's also missing the Frogger and Space Invaders apps from the system folders, although the folders are there. (These 2 games are actually Android apps of the arcade games). :)

As for Atari joysticks, yes, any Atari joysticks should work with the Atari Flashbacks. All that I've tried have worked, including 7800 controllers.

After all the "exclusive" versions the stores wanted, each missing some of the games another one had, I find it strange I've gone into Target or Walmart or Walgreens since the release dates and all they have on the shelves are the cheapest version of anything, no deluxe portables, no activision editions. You had to order them online.

• 4 months later...

Was hoping I could use wired Genesis controllers with my Atari Flashback, since the wireless ones don't work. Guess that ain't happening, though!

So was I! :(

I'm on the lookout for an Atari 7800 Gamepad. I also wouldn't mind converting one of my old NES controllers into a compatible gamepad if need be.

This thing, man. It won't use ANY game controller that deviates from the standard Atari input of four directions and one button. In desperation I tried a ColecoVision Super Controller, and it wouldn't work with that, either. I've just about had it with this system!

Whatever. I just said "to hell with it" and put an Atari emulator on my hacked Genesis Flashback instead. I'd like to know if you could just take the software from the Atari Flashback and put it on the Genesis system, or if they're designed to be mutually exclusive.

On a lark I tested the Atari Flashback's joystick port by touching together pins with a wire. That port DOES work, but only with the simplest input! I could probably cobble together a makeshift 2600 joystick if I had a small wooden box- I've got all the other parts- but what really tweaks me is that I have Atari joysticks back in Michigan. Plenty there, absolutely none here. Didn't single button joysticks used to be all over the place? They were debris as early as fifteen years ago, but now, what was being tossed out in yard sales for a buck or less are now unexpectedly hard to find. It would certainly help if I had a chance to hit a few Goodwills in Sierra Vista or Tucson, but alas...

Also, that USB trick? It worked intermittently for a little while (just long enough to grab some APK files from the system), but suddenly stopped. It can't draw power or take input from the cable I soldered into it. It's not the cable's fault, either... I tested every wire with a voltmeter for continuity. What this thing is testing is my patience. I ask again... in a properly working Atari Flashback, will installing a USB port let you use USB controllers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...