IGNORED

Another unknown EPROM...

DavidMil

19 hours ago, ebiguy said:

How many ohms should the trimpot should have?

Is the trimpot the only addition to do in the 810 to be able to change the speed? (I mean that there is no trace to cut, pin to bend or anything else to do)?

I'll try to get the current measurement from the trimpot for you. Hopefully in the next couple of days.

48 minutes ago, bbking67 said:

I'm pretty sure that The Chip was developed by Mike Gustafson before he teamed up with Tom Harker and ICD, hence the name SpartaDOS.

You are correct, this is well established.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

@nezgar, It seems you have first hand experience with some original Archiver chips. I'm curious what the label over the window looked like on the originals.  My 810 from e-bay has the chip and it is just a plain white label with 1966, the open code, written on it.  I'm curious if this would be real "Chip" or a copy.

14 minutes ago, tep392 said:

@nezgar, It seems you have first hand experience with some original Archiver chips. I'm curious what the label over the window looked like on the originals.  My 810 from e-bay has the chip and it is just a plain white label with 1966, the open code, written on it.  I'm curious if this would be real "Chip" or a copy.

Hard to know nowadays what is original, since even the original 810 Archiver chips used EPROMs... But based on the drive in my possession in post #22 from this this thread, the EPROM was covered in a silver write-protect tab/label, the chip was dated 1982, and the "open" code was unique amongst known dumps encountered thus far, I am hopeful that it's an original.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/275134-another-unknown-eprom/?do=findComment&comment=4432031

I guess it would be good to corroborate observations of future Archiver/The Chip 810 finds to see if they also used a silver write-protect tab/label to cover the EPROM, and which brand/date of EPROM. (ie Intel / 82)

PS: @ebiguy This reminds me to dig out that drive again and get those pot measurements you asked for. :)

I looked at the chip.  It's a Hitachi HN462732G with date code 3E1, which I think would be May of 83.  I don't know how long these were sold for, but the chip might be too new to be original.

edit: I checked my manuals, and they are copyright 1983, so they must have been selling these in 83.