IGNORED

Apple II VGA Scaler - Two in stock right now!

eightbit

I purchased one of their IIc VGA adapters and it works great! I'm not a big Apple II user, but also have a II+ so I figured this would be great to have. I don't really like having to use the jumper clips, but I think with my II+ I only need one of those. Looking forward to checking it out.

I'm also waiting for the last run of the CFFA3000 which should be soon. Good time for the Apple II.

I use an original Apple color monitor with my IIe Platinum. About the only time I think VGA might be good is with 80 column text. Otherwise, I think I'm pretty happy with the vintage CRT look. Of course, if that monitor were to ever go, I'd definitely be looking to replace it with a modern option.

... Of course, if that monitor were to ever go, I'd definitely be looking to replace it with a modern option.

That's the reason I buy these VGA adapters. For that one day I hope doesn't come any time soon ;)

But I prefer to use a CRT if I have one available. I've been sharing my IIc green screen between the IIc and II+ for now.

I use an original Apple color monitor with my IIe Platinum. About the only time I think VGA might be good is with 80 column text. Otherwise, I think I'm pretty happy with the vintage CRT look. Of course, if that monitor were to ever go, I'd definitely be looking to replace it with a modern option.

I will be too late by then. Oh, so many times I looked at something like the Indivision ECS and though, "nah, I don't need this now, even though it's only $96." Now I need one. Or two. And none to be found unless I go second-hand for ridiculous prices.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

The real beauty of this scaler is that it adds more functionality than just the 80 column mode. Sometimes I want to see what stuff looks like in amber. At the push of a button I can change to amber. Another push, monochrome green, another black and white, another color...and then I can cycle through these modes with CRT looking scanlines. It gives the CRT look in scanline mode quite accurately (as does the Indivision ECS on the Amiga). It is giving the functionality of multiple types of displays out of one VGA display. Amazing.

I would say the only reason to keep an old CRT would be for the originality of it all...but the fact that they are all old and slowly dying (and not easy to repair or source) I see no reason to keep one with such a great option. If the VGA display dies I would just toss it and buy another one for $5 at a local goodwill or equivalent.

The display should never be a stopgap for not being able to use the computer (if it fails) in my opinion which is why it is the one thing I do not mind at all replacing on these vintage computers. I know the IIe can be used with a composite TV (which is what I was using previously) and that is cool...but the clarity is nothing compared to the scaler.

Edited by eightbit

I will be too late by then. Oh, so many times I looked at something like the Indivision ECS and though, "nah, I don't need this now, even though it's only $96." Now I need one. Or two. And none to be found unless I go second-hand for ridiculous prices.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Yeah, these were in stock on AmigaKit for the longest time. I purchased three of them over the course of the past year. Installed one into an A500 that I sold and another into an A600 that I also sold. The final one is living in my A2000 permanently. Keep checking on AmigaKit and Vesalia. I just find it crazy that iComp would not continue providing these to the stores as they obviously sell. I'll keep a lookout for you as well.

Edit: According to this note from iComp in December more are coming in a new redesign:

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/33/items/merry-christmas-from-team-icomp.html

Edited by eightbit

The real beauty of this scaler is that it adds more functionality than just the 80 column mode. Sometimes I want to see what stuff looks like in amber. At the push of a button I can change to amber. Another push, monochrome green, another black and white, another color...and then I can cycle through these modes with CRT looking scanlines. It gives the CRT look in scanline mode quite accurately (as does the Indivision ECS on the Amiga). It is giving the functionality of multiple types of displays out of one VGA display. Amazing.

Did you try yours with Flight Simulator II or Ultima IV to see if the artifacting-style display shows correctly?

Did you try yours with Flight Simulator II or Ultima IV to see if the artifacting-style display shows correctly?

Not yet. I barely get minutes an evening to try anything. The price of having kids ;) But, I will try this weekend!

He must realize there's a current want/need for these and is ramping up production. That is great! But as with all good things, I have learned over the years do not expect it to last. If you have an Apple II and want to use it with a VGA display you should pick one of these up while you can. I learned my lesson by not picking up one of those Nashida Radio adapters for the IIGS when they were available. Now there's a slim chance for that...damnit...

Edited by eightbit

Nashudawa adapters? Invaguelybremember that, vaguely enough that I don't recall if I got one or not.

Nishida Radio from Japan: http://tulip-house.ddo.jp/DIGITAL/english_old.html

I have a IIc to VGA adapter from Nishida that I was using up until I found the one from a2heaven.com and it's a great device, made with care.

I'm partial to having scan lines (if I'm not using a real CRT) so the one from a2heaven.com provides that. Plus I juggle systems around a lot due to lack of space and the Nishida version is a little more fragile in how it connects to the IIc.

There are not many options when it comes to the IIGS unfortunately. The original monitor, the Nishida radio adapter (which is not being made currently), or a VGA adapter and a 15KHz monitor. Its not like I *need* a IIGS solution as I have a perfectly functioning original Apple RGB monitor that looks great, but I know from past experience not to rely on displays and am always looking for a backup solution. This Apple II scaler is awesome and provides a means to add any VGA display (or TV equipped with VGA) and that is just great. I need that for the IIGS.

• 3 weeks later...