IGNORED

Super Nt Console review

swlovinist

Gotta say, I'm really impressed! Emulation is so good, it even knows when to artificially simulate the SNES's infamous slowdown! :grin:

Joking aside, the video output looks amazing. This is the first I'm hearing of the console. Everything looks top notch, right down to the packaging.

Gotta say, I'm really impressed! Emulation is so good, it even knows when to artificially simulate the SNES's infamous slowdown! :grin:

Joking aside, the video output looks amazing. This is the first I'm hearing of the console. Everything looks top notch, right down to the packaging.

It's not emulation, it's hardware simulation.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before. This thread is all about FPGA and Kevtris.

I too would like a quality FPGA Atari console but Nintendo is where the money is. I have the AVS and that is great for NES and Famicom games. This looks like a stellar option for SNES fans.

There's probably other difficulties with doing that, the NES and SNES has a market for making controllers that work on the original NES/SNES controller bus, where as Atari and Sega does not, and 8bit do has expressed no interest in doing so.

Like, 8bitdo is very fond of the SNES style pads, and pretty much is the only thing they make, and they work on the PC and Nintendo Switch.

If Analogue decides to make a MegaNT that works with SEGA carts, it's not much of a stretch to add an Atari cart slot to the same unit and still use the same controller ports. 8bitdo or some other aftermarket accessory maker could take that up. Or maybe 8bit do could just a 9pin controller adapter for the sega connectors, and go "use the SNES style controllers"

• Like 1

The Genesis is the only console where I don't have a decent HDMI option. A Mega NT would be a no-brainer.

Yep. Plenty of working Genesis carts out there, just waiting for a Mega NT. :)

If the GBA wasn't so advanced (pun almost intended) I would also push for a GB/GBC/GBA FPGA console, with Super-NES controller ports. But then again, if I can assume that GB and GBC will eventually appear as jailbreak cores on the Super NT, I'll have exactly that with the Super Retro Advance I bought last year.

It's not emulation, it's hardware simulation.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before. This thread is all about FPGA and Kevtris.

The terminology has become reversed. Simulation traditionally refers to software as in flight simulators, weather simulators, and logic simulators. And using the term hardware emulator for fpga is not incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_emulation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_simulation

-----------

And the original Analogue NT Mini can do the Atari 2600 among other systems and has an interface that can be adapted to accept Atari controllers.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Oh I'd love for them to do a 2600. Better yet, a 7800 that plays the 2600. Too much to hope for I suppose, FPGA'ing the Nintendo consoles is where the money is.

You realize of course that Kevtris DID write a 2600 and 7800 FPGA core and gave it away for free to NT Mini owners? :)

• Like 1

I'm very tempted by this as I just would rather use my everdrive and my original games from the era I've kept, but is there some inevitability of a SNES HDMI mod much like the HiDef NES or is the hardware so more challenging that it has been skipped? I find it baffling the NES got the works, then the N64 and even the Gamecube, but the SNES has not? Why? Arguably probably the most popular of their earlier hardware given the NES did its thing on a strangehold situation.

Yep. Plenty of working Genesis carts out there, just waiting for a Mega NT. :)

If the GBA wasn't so advanced (pun almost intended) I would also push for a GB/GBC/GBA FPGA console, with Super-NES controller ports. But then again, if I can assume that GB and GBC will eventually appear as jailbreak cores on the Super NT, I'll have exactly that with the Super Retro Advance I bought last year.

Wouldn't just using a HDMI modded (internal/external) Gamecube with the GB Player suffice for that? Seems it would be a bit of a waste unless you're talking about a FPGA handheld just because GB hardware is aging.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Or one of these and just play the genesis games on the the super nt.

https://www.lukiegames.com/Genesis-RetroGen-Adapter?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MbohOqlVG6NvenldoBoG6FFMyH0725yb6rNDpowDZSnah10rJH7OJYaAslbEALw_wcB

I have the nintendo 8 bit nes version and it works pretty good.

Wow I never even realized such a thing existed.. and apparently works fine with an Everdrive as well so you can play Genesis and SMS games on a SNES. lol crazy!

Or one of these and just play the genesis games on the the super nt.

https://www.lukiegames.com/Genesis-RetroGen-Adapter?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MbohOqlVG6NvenldoBoG6FFMyH0725yb6rNDpowDZSnah10rJH7OJYaAslbEALw_wcB

I have the nintendo 8 bit nes version and it works pretty good.

They are awesome if you ever wanted to play Sonic on a SNES. ;)

But... it uses a seperate composite video cable that plugs in the cart to the TV so you won't get HDMI output, unless you use it on a RetroBit console.

• Like 1

I'm very impressed with the Super NT and the future is bright as long as we have FPGA. But did you know that there's an SNES system you can buy for $30 on ebay with RGB output?

In all seriousness, as good as this system is (the My Life In Gaming video is the review to watch), I just have a lot of aftermarket console fatigue right now with youtube and social media. It's going to get worse before it gets any better. So many options these days, though for now original hardware with an upscaler still works.

It's just a pass through and I am uncertain if that thing is even 100%, plus with it using its own A/V jack it kind of limits the value of it.

I'm very impressed with the Super NT and the future is bright as long as we have FPGA. But did you know that there's an SNES system you can buy for $30 on ebay with RGB output?

In all seriousness, as good as this system is (the My Life In Gaming video is the review to watch), I just have a lot of aftermarket console fatigue right now with youtube and social media. It's going to get worse before it gets any better. So many options these days, though for now original hardware with an upscaler still works.

About as bad as buying the SuperNT in price, but wouldn't an OSSC get you the similar output and some of the other little perks too?

Edited by Tanooki

Yeah, I think the main drawback with upscaled RGB is that you're going to analog before converting to digital. But in practice, the resulting image is fairly indiscernible. The advantage, and you and I have been over this before, is that you can use an OSSC with all your consoles for the one-time cost.

I have little doubt that if I'm 80 and I still want to play my games accurately that FPGA systems will be a godsend (if the options are still readily available by then). For now, fatigue on all this aftermarket stuff has strongly set in for me.

• Like 1

I wish there was a 4 in 1 SNES/NES/Famicom/Genesis FPGA Console

Well 6 if you include the Super Game Boy & the Power Base Converter

There will be no pleasing everyone. Cartridge slots are more fragile than just stuffing a SD2SNES in the cart slot and leaving it there. If the Super NT never gets a JB firmware, you can be sure people will find a way to create a "Super Gameboy"-like device using the SD2SNES or it's successor to allow the Super NT to play anything that fits in the 256x224 resolution like the PCE and NES.

OSSC 1080P 5X is only going to work on certain displays. The SuperNT will work on anything.