IGNORED

Super Nt Console review

swlovinist

They are not grayed out now. Looks like the others are back in stock. Of course, this is after I placed an order for a black one. Only had a modest preference for the SNES style. I don't care for the transparent stuff.

Is for me on the SNES and SFC style -- grayed out box saying OUT OF STOCK (as is the ugly transparent one too.) Black shows pre-order in white.

Nope, just saying I like mine. I opted for the solid black one, I don't care for transparent or lavender plastic either.

No love for NA purple! :sad:

31643096253_675bdf19d1_h.jpg

Yes, I did a pink/purple palette swap (because they don't make light lavender buttons) from the original red/yellow/green/blue buttons I had in there. No regrets, plus it matches my Super NT! :grin:

Is for me on the SNES and SFC style -- grayed out box saying OUT OF STOCK (as is the ugly transparent one too.) Black shows pre-order in white.

Hmmm... they are grayed out again now. Either it was a mistake or they went fast.... kind of like when the Retrode 2 does when they make a batch... and sometimes... poof! All gone.

I am thinking getting one now makes the SNES Mini superfluous to me though. It is still in it's box. I might give it to my daughter for her birthday since she likes the 8bit/16bit style, and wants to give some RPGs a go rather so that is better option than selling it. There might be a few games of interest on their for her. If she doesn't like it, I can always sell it later.

For me it isn't, that thing is just special in its own way and Star Fox 2 was a big grab for me with it too along the totally compact portability of it as well.

I hope I can get one, not paying a scalper higher on ebay for it if they stop running them. I want the SNES-US style system, though I'd settle on the SFC if need be. If it won't happen, it won't, but I'm patient.

• Like 1

Not sure what to say about that.. Seems like everyone and their brother here on this site went for the Super NT and is playing it. There wasn't any like 5 minute window to snag them like you had with the NES Classic. :lol:

<edit> Hrm? Looks like there's still pre-order for the black & Transparent ones?

post-31-0-66067600-1520277076.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

By the way I'm probably totally off here.. but your experience with the 8-bit Do controller with the NT Mini being incredibly laggy, that was 100% my experience as well, for quite some time! I told Kev on IRC that they sucked, but he stated to him they worked great with barely any lag. So I took a second look and thought.. "hmmm.. could they be low on battery?".. well friggin I plugged it in to charge and went to sleep, the next day those controllers were working great :lol: Yeah for an entire week I was playing with barely charged controllers I guess. but they lit up and controlled the menus fine! Go figure.

On another note it'd probably be worth trying to update the firmware on the pad & receiver. It's worth getting it to work since you can use the extra buttons for a lot of the consoles.. e.g. the VCS console switches.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

By the way I'm probably totally off here.. but your experience with the 8-bit Do controller with the NT Mini being incredibly laggy, that was 100% my experience as well, for quite some time! I told Kev on IRC that they sucked, but he stated to him they worked great with barely any lag.

Thinking about it, maybe part of my issue has to do with it using bluetooth, and my consoles being located somewhat behind me and not really line of sight to the rx unit. (front projection setup, consoles are by the door in the vid) The amount of lag varies--for example I had a lot better time with ps3 than with ouya--but I always seem to complain about lag specifically on bluetooth controllers. I doubt I'm some kind of lag-sensing superman at my age, and since nobody else complains about bluetooth controllers, there must be something in my setup that brings out the worst in them.

It might also be 2.4g noise from a rather oversized wireless AP across the room. It doesn't seem to bother non-bluetooth 2.4g controllers, though.

Edited by Reaperman

Thinking about it, maybe part of my issue has to do with it using bluetooth, and my consoles being located somewhat behind me and not really line of sight to the rx unit. (front projection setup, consoles are by the door in the vid) The amount of lag varies--for example I had a lot better time with ps3 than with ouya--but I always seem to complain about lag specifically on bluetooth controllers. I doubt I'm some kind of lag-sensing superman at my age, and since nobody else complains about bluetooth controllers, there must be something in my setup that brings out the worst in them.

It might also be 2.4g noise from a rather oversized wireless AP across the room. It doesn't seem to bother non-bluetooth 2.4g controllers, though.

Bluetooth is FHSS, 802.11b uses DSSS, 802.11g uses OFDM, 802.11n uses MIMO-OFDM. On paper, each other sees noise. So you increase the noise floor on the 2.4G spectrum by using bluetooth devices and WiFi devices in the same space.

Like in general, the solution is really to not use WiFi, or switch everything to use the 5Ghz (802.11a/ac) band rather than the 2.4Ghz (b/g/n) band, unless you have concrete walls.

Of note, the Xbox One S controllers (2016+), Nintendo Wii, and PS3 controllers use Bluetooth, where as the WiiU's tablet uses WiFi, Xbox 360, older Xbox One controllers, and pretty much all "wireless keyboard and mouse" systems for the PC are proprietary setups that generate a lot of noise as well.

Bluetooth stuff tends to play nice with each other, but they add latency that otherwise would not be present with a direct cable signal. So AFAIK when you plug in most "wireless" controllers, they only use the cable for charging, and still communicate with the device via wireless since that's the only way to ensure uninterrupted play.

Since everybody's dropping their video reviews in here, I'll do the same.

Mine just arrived yesterday, so I'm a little late to the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikny-2WHc9c

I noticed based on the thumbnail, you paired it with the Retrobit wireless controllers. How do they compare to 8bitdo?

Like in general, the solution is really to not use WiFi, or switch everything to use the 5Ghz (802.11a/ac) band rather than the 2.4Ghz (b/g/n) band, unless you have concrete walls.

This is absolutely not an option with apartment dwellers. My fiance's apartment sees over 20 networks with varying signal strength. I had to get an external wireless n dongle for her laptop because her internal g card was bog slow from all the congestion. Playing with bluetooth controllers in such an environment is an absolute no-go. If you're lucky enough to dwell in a suburban home, the boundary between neighbors is much much greater. With one barely used wifi network in my house, I get zero interference and no lag when using bluetooth controllers.

Your mileage may vary and usage of 2.4ghz bluetooth is absolutely dependent upon the wireless network environment.

I noticed based on the thumbnail, you paired it with the Retrobit wireless controllers. How do they compare to 8bitdo?

With the retrobit, you either get a good one, or as often as not, a bad one. I have one of each. I hear the old ones are better, and that's the case in my house as well. The bad ones lose pairing for a few seconds (2-10sec) every hour or so, which is super-annoying. The good retrobit controller, however, maintains a very solid connection, and I use it for all games that don't require extreme precision (almost everything). I don't notice lag on it, no matter where I hold it. It takes aaa's so it never needs charging, and I don't have to worry about the battery bloating if I ignore it for a few years. I like it...at least I like the good one...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I snapped up one of these in black on ebay at the end of last week and 2 days later it's here, and it came with the matching retro receiver and sn30 controller too. Saved a nice bit, barely used system, and I am digging the feature set on it so far but I'd like to dig more and see how it works with games with flicker/slowdown issues like Gradius III with that sprite limit removal trick in the menu, also how the Super GB handles too. I can pretty much throw anything at it, have pretty much any chipped US game worth a damn, anything else everdrive w/dsp to cover that. :D That bluetooth controller is amazing as it's like 1:1 on the nose, not some retron slopfest lag and discomfort.

• Like 1

Got a question related to the everdrive and another on the side. I have both a SNES and GB (via Super GB) and is it me or can you not select a new game without powering down the system? The other, do you have to switch it off to change games at any time or is it safe to just remove it if you go back to the menu? The manual on this is severely lacking.

Congrats Tanooki on your new system. :D

On the Everdrive menu, you can change the option to reset to menu or game. By toggling this option will make it easy to return to the menu by pressing the reset hotkey. I used A+B+St+Se for my soft reset, just like Turbografx and Gameboy.

Edit: okay misunderstood the question. You should never remove or insert carts while the system is powered on or you might wipe your save data. Just like a real system, get up and power off before changing carts. I've never heard of actual electrical damage to hardware from hot-plugging, but beware the sram on game carts is extremely volatile...

I am going to guess that menu you speak of is for the SNES model. I hadn't tried that one yet, only Gameboy through the Super GB and it just kept rebooting the same game until powered off. It's amazingly clean though, so it was nice hearing that clear audio voice from the likes of Samurai Spirits 3 and the HELP! HELP! of Donkey Kong once more.

The default reset I only have so far is just on the SNT itself for the down-select for menu and up-select for a soft reset. I'll have to fire it up again tomorrow and try the Super ED+DSP on it and see how things go. I got those kits for when the mood strikes on an odd game, but I already even with (for many collectors about) have more than enough with 50-60 SNES titles and the good stuff too.

I also have a HDMI modded top loader coming back shortly too so I'm RCA free outside of N64 and PC Engine for old consoles, plus the random plug n play. I have another switcher box coming in as I'm overloaded, had to pull the Gamecube temporarily to use it. Turrican is something I've never been good at, but I was surprisingly getting into that game when I first started it up. It used to feel like a brainless shooter with a nasty difficulty level but this time for some reason it clicked better and I cleared enough I guess mini bosses or something to clear an entire area and then ate it in some steamy/fire pipe stage.

For Gameboy Everdrive, you have to power down the system to choose a new game. So even if it's in a Super Gameboy on the Super NT, you have to power cycle the Super NT, just as you would have to in an original Gameboy brick.

Regarding the Super ED, does it play any additional games that the SNT Jailbreak doesn't? Just curious..

• Like 1

For Gameboy Everdrive, you have to power down the system to choose a new game. ....

The EDGB x3 has a handy reset button under the hump that works as expected, the x5 apparently has an ingame menu that can be used to reset (I believe via the same button but I only have an x3).

The old EDGB (v1 if you will) is the one that needs hw reset as well as the EDGBA x5.

Now I am not telling you that it is comfortable for the x3 to go and press the button at the console as at that point it's basically as convenient as resetting the console (it does help a little when played with the GBPlayer on a Gamecube) .... makes one wonder if the EDGB x7 can do all of it via simple combo key on the pad, dunno, didn't want to shell the extra cash as my main usage is/was for a clone GBBoy Colour and there the "hump-button" works wonders, make one wish the EDGBA x5 had the same hump.