IGNORED

Super Nt Console review

swlovinist

I also have a HDMI modded top loader coming back shortly too so I'm RCA free outside of N64 and PC Engine for old consoles, plus the random plug n play. I have another switcher box coming in as I'm overloaded, had to pull the Gamecube temporarily to use it.

I now have access to seven generations of Nintendo hardware over hdmi.

AVS and Super NT for nes/snes. Ultrahdmi modded n64, and the modfree hdmi gamecube adapter. And of course Super Gameboy and Game Boy Player still work. Wii-U for playing Wii games, and Switch is natively HDMI only.

My tcl hdtv does an excellent job on 240p composite with extremely low lag, but still no substitute for a crt. I still need solutions for Atari 2600/7800, Sega Genesis (Mega NT in the future???), and Turbografx as you said. I have a nice 3d printed composite adapter on my Turbografx. Though the 16-bit trifecta snes/genesis/tg-16 all have native rgb capabilities, I own no displays capable of utilizing them.

We're about even, I just haven't bothered doing the N64 since i use it so rarely and the kit costs a stupid amount of money to me. Kevtris HDMI NES, Super NT, Gamecube (GC2HDMI v3 external adapter), and within those the SuperGB on the NT covers 8bit B&W gb, and the GBPlayer covers anything GB to GBA branded entirely all in beautiful HDMI and it's very nice. Then there's the Switch I have too, nothing Wii based in these walls anymore.

• Like 1

I also sold most of my 8-bit xmas collection for $300 (5 years ranging from 2011 to 2015, kept only the 2016 pinball themed one and the 2017 multicart) to secure the funding for my n64 ultrahdmi mod. To me, it was worth it. And yeah, rarely touch my wii-u anymore, and the system gets less and less desirable as timd goes on as more and more exclusives get ported to switch. If they make a Switch reboot of the Mario Galaxy series, I'd honestly be tempted to sell... :P

There is a Switch port of them, technically, in China with their Nintendo/Nvidia partnered special version of the Shield tablet overseas. I would really not be surprised if this was some Nintendo test bed for a later virtual console or some sort of service, if not just a straight up e-shop or physical purchase they can milk for profit. Wind Waker and I think Twilight Princess were thrown on there too if I remember right.

I never knew they did a pinball of those goofy carts, watched a video a moment ago and that appears to be the most interesting/fun one they made.

• Like 1

I agree, the Shield and Switch are technically similar and it's just a business decision whether or when they do it for us. https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/05/nintendo-wii-gamecube-nvidia-shield-china/

I wouldn't mind replaying Mario Galaxy 1+2 remastered for 720/1080p, with a real button assigned instead of "waggle" for the spin jump move. Right stick on Joycon / Pro Controller could control the Starbit cursor, along with optional gyro for finer precision. Kinda like how aiming the bow and arrow works in Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Give the Galaxy games the same Twilight Princess / Windwaker Treatment like Wii-U got.

There is a Switch port of them, technically, in China with their Nintendo/Nvidia partnered special version of the Shield tablet overseas. I would really not be surprised if this was some Nintendo test bed for a later virtual console or some sort of service, if not just a straight up e-shop or physical purchase they can milk for profit. Wind Waker and I think Twilight Princess were thrown on there too if I remember right.

I never knew they did a pinball of those goofy carts, watched a video a moment ago and that appears to be the most interesting/fun one they made.

Yeah, and the poster/card was awesome too. I still have the Xmas Pinball poster on my wall. Sadly I think the house keeper may have inadvertently threw away the card when I left it sitting out after opening the Christmas stuff, and just days after I sold the others... :_(

Too bad if that happened if it means that much to keep it.

I got my Hi-Def NES kit modded top loader back today in the mail, and same day the very nice hdmi switch appears too. Now both them, the HDMi GC and the Switch are on the same selector. :D I put time on both the NES/SNES today for a few hours and it was nice. After seeing how the NES was setup with the scanlines in a more natural way I went to tinkering a bit on the SNT and figured out with it down at 720p from 1080 and using the hybrid lines mode with gamma it looks like the NES does. And to me that's like the best flat panel CRT I had which was a nice big Sony WEGA about 15 years ago. Very clear, sharp, clean, and good scanline array -- not too fat, not too slim either, no bleed on the colors, just good quality. I still hate the things on a PC, but somehow on the TV using those kits it looks fantastic.

• Like 1

I should've added yes, MSU1 with a SD2SNES just like you would on a regular SNES. But you also have to enable Cartridge Audio same as you would when playing the Super Gameboy / Super Gameboy 2 else you'll hear silence.

You can't play them with the jailbreak itself... as in using the jailbreak functionality to load it from the Super NT's SD card.

• Like 1

I should've added yes, MSU1 with a SD2SNES just like you would on a regular SNES. But you also have to enable Cartridge Audio same as you would when playing the Super Gameboy / Super Gameboy 2 else you'll hear silence.

You can't play them with the jailbreak itself... as in using the jailbreak functionality to load it from the Super NT's SD card.

That's clear as mud. icon_biggrin.gif icon_confused.gif

MSU1 games will run on Super NT, but only from the cartridge port. (yes/no)

Thanks, my old wanker friend. SmallWavingHappy.gif

I am MSU1-curious, but not at SD2SNES prices.

Member on the site here in the auctions area just posted one for $170 on ebay. PM them, they should be willing to at least take the 10% of the ebay fees off the price and shipping they screw you on too. Perhaps he'd take like $150+shipping. That would put it barely over what a Super Everdrive+DSP costs.

Thanks, my old wanker friend. SmallWavingHappy.gif

I am MSU1-curious, but not at SD2SNES prices.

Yeah just get an everdrive for dsp1. Tbe msu-1 games are mostly commercial hacks enhanced with cdda sound and cutscenes pulled from animated cartoon series that simply don't belong in the original snes games. The cutscenes they injected into link to the past are cringeworthy. Mostly the other chipped games like capcom, sa-1, and fx are cheap enough counting imports, except for smrpg you can play them without much reading involved. Megaman x2, x3 run on the sd2snes. Fx is buggy and requires custom firmware. Sa-1 is non existent and may never be fully supported. The others are mostly one-off chips with one or two supported games, often imported strategy/rpg games you can't play anyway without a translation patch. So for sa-1 like Kirby, smrpg, and talking parodius, you need original carts still. And get the english version smrpg unless you are fluent in japeanese, or enjoy blindly selecting options at the text promp with no earthly idea what's being said. :P

Too bad if that happened if it means that much to keep it.

I got my Hi-Def NES kit modded top loader back today in the mail, and same day the very nice hdmi switch appears too. Now both them, the HDMi GC and the Switch are on the same selector. :D I put time on both the NES/SNES today for a few hours and it was nice. After seeing how the NES was setup with the scanlines in a more natural way I went to tinkering a bit on the SNT and figured out with it down at 720p from 1080 and using the hybrid lines mode with gamma it looks like the NES does. And to me that's like the best flat panel CRT I had which was a nice big Sony WEGA about 15 years ago. Very clear, sharp, clean, and good scanline array -- not too fat, not too slim either, no bleed on the colors, just good quality. I still hate the things on a PC, but somehow on the TV using those kits it looks fantastic.

Come on dawg, you gotta mod that n64 sooner or later. Golden age of polygons, upscaled to hd. :cool:
  • Like 1

Yeah just get an everdrive for dsp1. Tbe msu-1 games are mostly commercial hacks enhanced with cdda sound and cutscenes pulled from animated cartoon series that simply don't belong in the original snes games. The cutscenes they injected into link to the past are cringeworthy. Mostly the other chipped games like capcom, sa-1, and fx are cheap enough counting imports, except for smrpg you can play them without much reading involved. Megaman x2, x3 run on the sd2snes. Fx is buggy and requires custom firmware. Sa-1 is non existent and may never be fully supported. The others are mostly one-off chips with one or two supported games, often imported strategy/rpg games you can't play anyway without a translation patch. So for sa-1 like Kirby, smrpg, and talking parodius, you need original carts still. And get the english version smrpg unless you are fluent in japeanese, or enjoy blindly selecting options at the text promp with no earthly idea what's being said. :P

The FX project only started nearly two months ago, and has made a lot of progress. Hopefully, some of the nagging bugs can be worked out, although there is always the possibility that it gets so far.

I kind of agree the MSU-1 stuff is out of place, though it is fun to mess with it.

Many reasons are given of why SA-1 support will never happen, but I don't have enough of a technical grasp to know if that is real or just a lot of doubt. I never expected FX support, yet progress is made.

Let's put it this way, I have more confidence that the major FX bugs will be worked out and someone will make some progress on SA-1 to make something like Super Mario RPG playable than I do with Atari SA making something useful or that Polymega dingus seeing the light of day.

• Like 2

I havent modded it as the price is crazy and Im not loaded. Id like to at some point as rca and crt is dead

CRT isn't dead. Still a requirement for light gun fans. And 240p RF/composite still looks 1000% better on a CRT than an HDTV. My TCL does a surprisingly good job displaying 240p over RF/composite, very low lag, but the Atari RF signal my stock 4-switch woody looks like dog doo on it, whereas my bedroom crt makes the sprites glow look like a classic arcade monitor.

CRT for normal people and normal purposes is dead, and I read a year or two back they quit manufacturing some key parts for CRTs so that's a huge death blow as well. It's dead, denial is fine, but it's dead. You can still find them here or there and enjoy them while they last but it's drying up slowly but surely. Devices like this or kits like on the NES/N64 allow the old beasts to get quite a long added lease on life and with some really beautiful visual and audio that comes with it too. I can live without light gun games, most of them aren't all that good anyway outside of a select few, a bit more with 2P same time play though (like the Sega arcade titles.)

• Like 1