IGNORED

Super Nt Console review

swlovinist

I had no idea that progress was being made with SD2SNES GSU emulation. That's awesome!! Last I heard it was a long shot.

If by progress you mean basically playing all that there is to play with minor timing issues, then hell yes ... it's working already.

I don't think it will get to be "cycle accurate" and hopefully it won't matter, at the end of the day people seem to enjoy Doom at high speed, just saying, there's a place for "original speed" and a place for "it works and we can fix all the slowdowns".

Even the current CX4 on SD2SNES is not yet cycle accurate so if the SuperFX stays what it is now it would be already much much better than nothing at all .... and if people want to play the original at original speed they can as the carts won't suddenly disappear, if at all the prices would stabilize.

For me the fact that I could see "the other SuperFX" games and basically getting them out of my system (I wouldn't pay for any of them) was a nice relief. At the end it's StarFox and Yoshi Island (some rave about Star Fox 2, it was delayed for 30Y I can live without, some like Doom especially in fast mode but truth is that there are far better versions on other platforms so wasting time on this one is moot at best .... the sprite resolution of anything is so low you can barely tell what it is until you're face to face with it).

FX has some nice games yes. I think SA-1 has more gems though.

FX gems: Yoshi's Island.

SA-1 gems: SMRPG, both Kirbys.

Great games...

FX great games: Star Fox and Star Fox 2.

SA-1 great games: Talking Parodius (the first two are equally good, and the SA-1 is really only utilized for speech samples in this game), Bomberman Panic Bomber World.

Marvelous should be mentioned as a SA-1 game of note. I snagged a 4-1 SA1 multicart off retrocircuits and had them put Marvelous, Parodius, Super Mario RPG, and a Kirby on there. Although in retrospect I have no idea why I chose SMRPG when I friggin have 2 carts of it already. Dumb me.

There may be better versions of DOOM from the PS1 release and stuff after 2000, but for the time, despite the idiotic no saving and 1/8 monster angles present, the SNES release was the most map/secret accurate copy of the pC release. The fact that the SD2SNES can run it at a more speedy/fluid PC like speed than a stock cart is fantastic if you have the kit. DOOM is actually quite solid for what it is on the SNES. Stunt Race FX is another very good racer only marred by the slow frame rate where you need to turn like a 1/2 second in advance of attempt (and lay off early too) or steering is a nightmare which the speed boost would make it as amazing as Nintendo wished it could have been then too. Star Fox 2 I fall into the like camp, but only if someone plays it NOT on easy (normal) because it strips all the challenge out of the game and 1/2 the battles too. The other modes add more, the hardest, a nasty virus that can take your platform and turn it against the home planet. That's where the game shines as a hard title worth the effort but most play it on normal and think it's easy and boring, which at that level it's a cake walk to enjoy relaxing to, but not to play seriously.

SA1 though I agree has more out of the box fantastic stuff going for it. FX alone has Yoshi and Star Fox, maybe Doom can be forgiven as it plays fine, but that's it as the rest suffer. SA1 though you get Mario RPG, Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby Super Star for the US but throw the SFC in there you get Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimesion, Chatting Parodius, Panic Bomber World, Marvelous, Gundam, and others depending on taste/reading ability.

I've never heard of retrocircuits, but that's got me thinking as I still regret 20+ years later never playing that one Parodius game, or Panic Bomber W for that matter.

I'm highly tempted to get a SD2SNES at times, but have the Super ED+DSP as it is. I suppose I could sell it off, would cover most the cost since it has the DSP enhancement.

• Like 2

If by progress you mean basically playing all that there is to play with minor timing issues, then hell yes ... it's working already.

I don't think it will get to be "cycle accurate" and hopefully it won't matter, at the end of the day people seem to enjoy Doom at high speed, just saying, there's a place for "original speed" and a place for "it works and we can fix all the slowdowns".

Even the current CX4 on SD2SNES is not yet cycle accurate so if the SuperFX stays what it is now it would be already much much better than nothing at all .... and if people want to play the original at original speed they can as the carts won't suddenly disappear, if at all the prices would stabilize.

For me the fact that I could see "the other SuperFX" games and basically getting them out of my system (I wouldn't pay for any of them) was a nice relief. At the end it's StarFox and Yoshi Island (some rave about Star Fox 2, it was delayed for 30Y I can live without, some like Doom especially in fast mode but truth is that there are far better versions on other platforms so wasting time on this one is moot at best .... the sprite resolution of anything is so low you can barely tell what it is until you're face to face with it).

Even running DOOM faster?? I have to try that. I can't believe I've missed all this.

There may be better versions of DOOM from the PS1 release and stuff after 2000, but for the time, despite the idiotic no saving and 1/8 monster angles present, the SNES release was the most map/secret accurate copy of the pC release. The fact that the SD2SNES can run it at a more speedy/fluid PC like speed than a stock cart is fantastic if you have the kit. DOOM is actually quite solid for what it is on the SNES. ....

Even without going all the way to PS1, Doom got "better" ports on the 32x (however incomplete), the 3DO (shrink the screen to the minimum size and it flies, and I believe it would be the same res as the SNES) and obviously the Jag.

So aside from the wow factor to play it on the SD2SNES + accelerated speed, it is not something to behold.

Stunt Race FX .... I won't lose any sleep on it, I played it once since redguy released GSU support and never again, not my cup of tea, there are way better racers.

Seriously saving the proto-3D of the superFX is the same as prasining all those Jag early 3D games .... just no, the tech wasn't ready, the platform not powerful enough for that kind of games and the games plain boring.

StarFox holds a different spot due to its history, but to be fair I get a little bored while playing, I've never got myself to finish it (on orig cart or SD2SNES all the same).

Obviously this is just my opinion, I expect many people to disagree, I still commend redguy for the incredible achievement.

• Like 2

I've never heard of retrocircuits, but that's got me thinking as I still regret 20+ years later never playing that one Parodius game, or Panic Bomber W for that matter.

You know, someone mentioned the Panic Bomberman World in this thread and I ordered a copy just last night. Had no idea this game existed. Because I can't play it on my Everdrive or jailbroken Super NT, I needs to have a physical cart. I've also got the Bomberman trilogy on PC Engine as well.

Much as I love chatting Parodius, the voice announcer and the megaphone is gibberish as I have no idea what they say, well except for the quadratic formula one. I would love for someone to transate this gem of a game, and I mean word for word literal translation even if the phrases make no sense in English. Bonus points if a sexy female does the voice work. I understand the arcade game could have two players where a female voice talked to player 2 during the game. I wish the female voice was an option to here in the Super Famicom port.

A cheap but effective option would be to have Alexa or some other dumb faux female robot shopping aid do the voiceover work so it feels like the Super Famicom is actually alive and synthesizing the speech. Then add an 80s style reverb filter to the samples in audacity prior to importing them into the game... :love:

I've known about it but originally had the PCE CD, then now I have the NeoGeo cart but it's so limiting compared to the PCE and PB World that I'm tempted to swap them out. The NG game has no modes, just a hard as nails even on lv4 (of 8) insidious AI that isn't consistent either by stage/play lacking any variables, story mode, or whatever else. it just starts and ends, not even 2 modes like Bust A Move 2 does. I'm pretty disappointed as I couldn't find any visuals of that version online and the download goes into AES mode and it and the CD version for neo-geo have added modes too. I got it low enough I can get a little ahead especially since I already had the mini marquee for it, but it bugs me wanting it so long. It would buy the lost parodius for me, and panic bomber w though...hmm. I miss my SFC library I had before the great sell off. I've been hitting a few of them on my SuperED for the last hour and a half with Popn Twinbee, Gokujyou Parodius, and more. Good (lost) times. :)