IGNORED

eBay user retromachinerepair

mattsoft

Well, I've never done any business with him, but you really can't argue with that kind of feedback. Also, the link you provided throws out an error, so I manually searched for his items. It's possible that someone here has dealt with him, but if you are looking to get work done, that feedback says it all.

Wow... his HDMI Atari 2600 mod is tempting...

1267 positive feedback and no negatives over the last year? I may try it!

I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure he is just using a composite/s-vid to HDMI adapter and installing it internally into the 2600/7800 machines. So basically he does a composite mod or s-video mod if he is using UAVs or something similar and going from there. Likely feeding the power to the converter directly from the 7805 and hopefully putting in a beefier VR in the process of doing so.

• 2 years later...

Don’t mean to revive an old thread but I have an update on this:

I recently sent my Game Gear to this seller to have the McWill mod and VGA out put in. He got it this past Saturday. $245 in total as the screen was included in the price.

I sent him a message on Sunday making sure everything got to them safely.

No response.

I go to send a follow up message today only to find out that all of a sudden they are no longer a registered user and they have removed all of their items from stock.

I am about to call eBay tomorrow so I can request the seller’s phone number and see what’s going on. 

I needed this done as I’m supposed to be getting in an Everdrive GG X7 for review and now I have to scramble to find someone with a screen AND the ability to install the screen, glass lens, and the VGA out. 

If I get the refund, I would only be out $20 as the Game Gear was sold to me as parts and then shipping. 

But still. This is ridiculous. Not even a message from them or anything....

6 hours ago, TwinFami said:

But still. This is ridiculous. Not even a message from them or anything....

System repair and mod work is a race to the bottom of the barrel because there's lots of competition, with no channels for certification and definitely no entity that acts as oversight or quality control. People get in and burn out often. The expected rates are NOT adequate compensation for skilled technicians so you're only getting amateurs. These days I only take on mod jobs for friends and of course myself, you pretty much need to train yourself to get things done to your satisfaction.

Game Gears in particular are a great big bag of snakes to work on. The capacitors are notorious for being bad yes, and that's old news, but time has been really creeping up on them and the corrosion's getting really bad on the systems that haven't been replaced yet. I've run into several instances where the ASICs are straight up dead, things that a recap and screen upgrade will not fix- plus there are certain models, not even counting the Majesco variation, that tend to be uncooperative.

So you may have sent a Game Gear that was sold to you as a parts system, and it's probable that this guy found himself unable to do a thing with it. It's also possible that it's happened before, maybe even lots of times with other people sending in junk systems, which complicates the process as you have to engage the customer with alternative solutions or return what they sent and refund their money.

Certainly doesn't excuse his ghosting you without explanation, but I can sympathize a little with trying to run such an enterprise. At the least, if you paid with Paypal, especially with a credit card, you should get your money back.

About a month ago I saw a message on his eBay page that said something like "dealing with family stuff at the moment. I should be back to work early in the new year.". 

Maybe the family stuff took longer than anticipated.

He recapped a Turbo Express for me last year and it came back working perfectly.

6 hours ago, krae_man said:

About a month ago I saw a message on his eBay page that said something like "dealing with family stuff at the moment. I should be back to work early in the new year.". 

Maybe the family stuff took longer than anticipated.

He recapped a Turbo Express for me last year and it came back working perfectly.

He came back again. Kept putting it off again and again and took jobs starting on the 20th of February.

• 1 year later...