IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

Would it be difficult to have both options at different price points?  If I HAD to choose, I'd go with backlit.  Since it's no longer going to be original, might as well make it as versatile as possible, right?  

But I'm definitely cool with either option.  Put me down for 2 screens, please.  :)

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, rwburbage@msn.com said:

ok. 

So what is you opinion on the displays?  Backlight or no backlight?

I would take both kinds. One backlit, two non-backlit. But if they can only do one or the other, I'd take 3 of each, as long as they aren't too expensive.

• Like 2

I would opt for non-backlit.  I want to play these like they are brand new...  I've seen gameboy backlights that require "biverting" (inverting) the image, which I would not like to see on the Microvision.  Better to stick with the original display and play in a well-lit room.  This isn't going to be in heavy rotation for my gaming so I don't need it to be versatile with backlight.  This will be more like, "kids, come and see my favorite old games" and immediately afterward they go back to playing on iPads, while I play on it a little while longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joefitz said:

I would opt for non-backlit.  I want to play these like they are brand new...  I've seen gameboy backlights that require "biverting" (inverting) the image, which I would not like to see on the Microvision.  Better to stick with the original display and play in a well-lit room.  This isn't going to be in heavy rotation for my gaming so I don't need it to be versatile with backlight.  This will be more like, "kids, come and see my favorite old games" and immediately afterward they go back to playing on iPads, while I play on it a little while longer.

To be fair, biverted DMGs tend to be front or side lit, and the bivert mod is for greater contrast. If an LCD is purpose made for back lighting, a bivert isn't required.

Edited by mikebola
Issue with quote bleeding into comment.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Sounds good.  I'm stilling working on getting a couple of working units to send.  I'll post something useful when I get them send over for rev eng.   Then I can get better quotes on actual quantities and costs.

I would take 2 screens, one of each. Btw- you fixed both my Seance and my Voice of the Mummy games. I am excited about this new development. You do good work.

• Thanks 1

The backlight would be so awesome, even more if that idea of using the contrast knob as the backlight brightness works out..  As a kid I used to struggle to play the Microvision in low light conditions.  If we have to choose one or the other, I vote backlight. 

Originally I needed 3 screens, now it's 4. 

• Like 1

The backlight will be a separate unit.  So, if you did not purchase the backlight at first,  it can be purchased later and wired in later.   I'll need the new displays and backlight unit first before we can determine how it's going to be hooked up.   The ideas are controlling the LCD contrast as it's originally configured.  This is the pot on the back to adjust as the 9V battery drains.  Then attaching the backlight and how it gets powered.

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,  this project is going stale.?

The big problem is, I'm sure that 5-11under had this quandary, spending ?$$$ to have all of the units made then a trickle coming back in to pay off the project. 

It's really a big unknown of how many units would sell immediately to be able to price these according to that number and get the monies back.   I'm not really interested in making money.  Some money would be great for the effort.

The obvious issue is shelling out big clams to get it started.  It's almost like a kickstarter needs to happen to get everyone in on the project.  Any ideas on that?

I've been watching the resale prices on these units and cartridges, and they are not that great.   I don't really know if replacing these screens would help sales or flood and reduce prices.  I've picked up working units for $.

On another hand, it actually might help as this would put more units in the hands or more collectors and more talk means more units circulating.  There are plenty of websites mentioning or being dedicated to this handheld gaming system. ? 

I set up an eBay item for future sales of the new LCD displays.  The idea was to see how much activity it would generate to get a better idea of how many would sell.  Also, maybe get some messaging conversations going.  I've had 2 messages, 11 watchers and 226 views so far... ?

I have 2 suppliers that are ready to have units sent to them.   They can take the unit apart and develop a build process.  The build spec has been setup for using existing Zebra connectors, exactly same size to fit and work with contrast adjuster on the back.  Plus the optional backlight unit.  The completed price is still unknown until they get the unit and reverse eng them.

Again, it would be nice if 5-11under would supply some info on the supplier as these are already prototyped.  Starting over with a supplier is wasting time.

open for ideas on how to proceed...

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
more info

To be honest I don't care who makes the thing. If you can make it happen then do pre-orders with a little overstock. I'll gladly pay up front for the screens. It appears 5-11 Under won't get it done or get it done in a timely manner. So lets stop worrying about being PC/hurt feelings about this and move forward. However, we should still give 5-11 under props for restoring interest and at least trying to bring some life back into this system. Thanks! 

@rwburbage@msn.com or @5-11under Mean Hamster Software would be willing to help fund this project. Message me at John@meanhamster.com and we can talk about a potential partnership. Perchance there may be also a way to create a new game for this system as well. (anyone here have any information on how the games work, that would be useful)

Edited by ziggystar

The games are dumped and emulated in MAME...  Someone has even created a replacement chip (FPGA I think) that can fit in a cartridge and 'emulate' the original CPU, and I believe even wrote a new (simple) game for the system.

Trying to find the links to all of that, it's been a while...

What is the initial cost for something like this?  Let's say you were going to place an order for 250 screens, what would that cost upfront to make happen?  (Just a ball-park figure, even the manufacturers should be able to at least give you a rough estimate...)

It's very underhanded to be trying to make the exact same thing as 5-11 and openly discuss taking the ball and running with it for your own ends right in the guys own thread. I mean come on, you could at least start your own thread somewhere else right? I get it you don't like that he's not produced a bunch of these yet even though he did show working protos back in 2018 but that doesn't give anyone the right to come in and say they are gonna do it instead and will sell to the same people that 5-11 had down as interested. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

It's very underhanded to be trying to make the exact same thing as 5-11 and openly discuss taking the ball and running with it for your own ends right in the guys own thread. I mean come on, you could at least start your own thread somewhere else right? I get it you don't like that he's not produced a bunch of these yet even though he did show working protos back in 2018 but that doesn't give anyone the right to come in and say they are gonna do it instead and will sell to the same people that 5-11 had down as interested. 

I just don't see any point to any of this.  How else are you going to get the message out to the very people that are interested in getting new screens that have Notify me of replies checked.