IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

On 3/31/2021 at 1:16 PM, 5-11under said:

This was mailed out close to a week later, I think. Hopefully it arrives within the next handful of days or so.

Got mine today! I had one line of vertical pixels missing, so I took it apart to fix it. When I put it back together, the speaker stopped working. I believe one of the leads of the speaker broke off. Through trial and error I believe that I've partially fixed the speaker (it's finicky and only works when it wants to).

But the screen works perfectly!

IMG_20210401_192341706.thumb.jpg.eb5cbe7ff2d34f0c931b8518a3a693d8.jpg

Block Buster is a surprisingly fun game. I might look into getting more games for it! I'm happy that I can finally play this thing after owning it for about five or six years. I'm not going to lie, I was extremely skeptical when I saw this project a few years ago. I thought it was too good to be true and that it would never come to fruition. I'm glad I was wrong. It's awesome that we can finally fix these consoles to preserve an important piece of video game history.

• 3 weeks later...

apparently this was actually a very well known design flaw back when the original screens were mostly working-ish, all the layers are separate so the reflector corrodes and makes the screen look dead even if it isnt, its not a hard fix but its been forgotten due to the fact that its now irrelevant since that working screen is a bit of a unicorn nowadays and the new ones come with the reflector and polarizer attached which should prevent that flaw entirely

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TheDreadGazeebo said:

Thanks for taking on this project! Is it too late to get in on a couple screens? I just added a Microvision to the collection and I'd love to be able to play it!

Send me a PM, if you haven't already within the last few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, jham55 said:

Anyone get a microvision to work for repair? It beeps three times and nothing happens. Not sure what the issue is.

not entirely sure what you are describing but if it beeped then thats half the potential issues out of the way, it is booting and turning on, now you have to figure out what the specific problem is, try cleaning the contacts on the board and the rubber strips, also try putting a small amount of material on the outer edge of the screen under the shell to increase pressure on the contacts.

if that doesnt work then you might be outta luck, if a new screen didnt get it to show signs of full function and a different game doesn't work then at this point then you might have a shot screen controller which is a custom chip that cant be replaced last i checked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickle241 said:

not entirely sure what you are describing but if it beeped then that's half the potential issues out of the way, it is booting and turning on, now you have to figure out what the specific problem is, try cleaning the contacts on the board and the rubber strips, also try putting a small amount of material on the outer edge of the screen under the shell to increase pressure on the contacts.

if that doesn't work then you might be outta luck, if a new screen didn't get it to show signs of full function and a different game doesn't work then at this point then you might have a shot screen controller which is a custom chip that cant be replaced last i checked

Yes.  I have NOS LCD driver chips.  $25 each.  I would recommend sending in your MV for correct diagnosis.  It a 40 pin chip and the solder pads are heat sensitive.

https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/1979-milton-bradley-microvision-system/microvision-lcd-display/

Edited by TheVoice
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

@Spankdawg - I never heard back from 5-11under, so I presumed he was out of stock. I did manage to get a couple of screens from here: https://voiceofthemummy.com/1979-82-microvision/

I'd recommend reaching out to the owner of the site first to see if he still has any, and be forewarned that his site lists them at $45.99 each but when you click the order button the cost is $99.99... which is what I paid. It was a bit pricey, but it's not like there are other options if you're looking to preserve your Microvision.

Good Luck! :)

I do have a few left, that I saved from the first batch, in case of any issues. I'll get those counted, and added to the store, over the next couple of weeks. I'll post here when that's done. Also, maybe I need to order another batch, because I still do see occasional demand for these.

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

I do have a few left, that I saved from the first batch, in case of any issues. I'll get those counted, and added to the store, over the next couple of weeks. I'll post here when that's done. Also, maybe I need to order another batch, because I still do see occasional demand for these.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, CrashTestMonkey said:

@Spankdawg - I never heard back from 5-11under, so I presumed he was out of stock. I did manage to get a couple of screens from here: https://voiceofthemummy.com/1979-82-microvision/

I'd recommend reaching out to the owner of the site first to see if he still has any, and be forewarned that his site lists them at $45.99 each but when you click the order button the cost is $99.99... which is what I paid. It was a bit pricey, but it's not like there are other options if you're looking to preserve your Microvision.

Good Luck! :)

Thank you.

6 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Please post a link to your store.  Thanks.