IGNORED

Converting .cas to .wav

The Mr. Video

They do, but they give me an IO error when I try to load them and I'm wondering if I could convert the .cas files myself and try those.

Chances are it's "user error" then. I use quotes there because it's not necessarily your fault--a lot of old cassettes were just really tricky to load. Lots of trial and error getting the volume settings right, and such. The volume they were recorded at can be a factor as well, and may vary from .wav to .wav, so you may have to adjust your playback volume. Generally they're pretty close, though, or at least close enough. There are a few TRS-80 Color tape .wavs I've found that just simply, absolutely refuse to load for me, no matter what I do.

I know your struggle, though--before CCA posted .wavs of all their cassettes, I was trying to do the same thing. The bad news there is I never found a cas2wav utility for CoCo that actually worked. The good news is I was able to do it through the Xroar emulator. It's been a little while and I forget how to do it offhand, but it essentially works the same way as a cas2wav utility--load in a .cas file and output it. Just a little more roundabout.

^EDIT: You found my old thread. :P :)

Edited by BassGuitari

Update: I found this thread that has what I need.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254841-creating-wav-files-in-xroar/

Problem is, when I load a .cas file, the name of the program doesn't pop up on the screen and the emulator gets stuck of the flashing "S." Is this normal?

That's the computer Searching for file. Your playback volume is probably too low and the CoCo's not picking anything up. When it finds something, it will show "F" and the filename.

EDIT: didn't read carefully enough--I see now you're using the emulator. I think oftentimes emulators like these have "virtual tape drives" where you have to go into a menu and and "press play."

Edited by BassGuitari

EDIT: didn't read carefully enough--I see now you're using the emulator. I think oftentimes emulators like these have "virtual tape drives" where you have to go into a menu and and "press play."

I don't think there's a play button on the emulator, also when I load a .wav in Xroar, it reads through it just fine.

Edit:I should clarify that the IO error happens right after the short tone that gives the computer the name of the program it's trying to read.

Edited by The Mr. Video