IGNORED

My Amiga 600 build . . .

c0op3r

SO I have been working on building an Amiga 600 I have collect a nice collection of parts and upgrade, but you know what is still missing from the picture? The Amiga 600!

Amiga%20600%20Parts%201.jpg

I did buy one and its on it way, but its killing me, I have so far for it:

US Power Supply

CF to IDE adapter

3.1 Install Floppies and 3.1 Kickstart Rom

New Joystick

PCMIA LED Kit

Indivision ECS Scan Doubler

GoTek Floppy Emu

Indivision RAM Expansion with RTC

PCMIA to CF adapter

PCMIA Wifi Card

ReCap Kit

Furia Accelerator

I will post more shows once I get a Machine.

• Like 1

I sold my first A600 for $100 15 or so years ago. It was so slow! Got fed up and sold it. Then I found one in Goodwill 10 years ago for $40, so I got it and kept it. Found a way to like it again. Got the ACA630 for $200 when it was released and never looked back.

BUT then the CAPS started leaking making it unstable. I was able to replace them with much effort, traces were damaged, lifted, corroded etc.

Final story, it still works.

Tip to the OP: Get A600 that was recapped before the capacitors were leaking to save you some troubles in the future, it may cost more, but it's worth it.

These do have some crappy caps. They leak and smell like fish when they do. I had a few units like that. AmigaKit will do the recapping for you, or Acill (Paul) who is stateside and a great guy. I would definitely recommend it even if you don't think you need it. Odd stuff like lower sound and other issues will occur over time even if the caps appear to look "ok".

Tip to the OP: Get A600 that was recapped before the capacitors were leaking to save you some troubles in the future, it may cost more, but it's worth it.

Yes the one I got was recapped by the seller, but I bought a recap kit. that is sitting here unused.

Also I received that 600 today and got most of the parts installed and a basic setup running:

Amiga%20600%20unmolested_640.jpg

Amiga%20600%20unmolested%20inside_640.jp

Amiga%20600%20unmolested%20revistion%201

Amiga%20600%20unmolested%20RUST_640.jpg

looks like something was spilled inside at some point.

Amiga%20600%20unmolested%20RUST%20cleane

after a good bit of cleanup

Amiga%20600%20RF%20Removed%20and%20Furia

RF Modulator Removed

Amiga%20600%20warranty%20sticker%20remov

stupid warranty sticker removed completely, why do people leaves this on they look like shit.

Amiga%20600%20Furia%20and%20Dual%20ROM%2

Accelerator, Indivision ECS Scan Doubler, Real Time Clock and Memory Expansion Installed Also switchable Kickstart Rom 1.3 and 3.1

Amiga%20600%203D%20Printed%20VGA%20Mount

3D Printed VGA cable mount installed on the board where the RF Module was before.

Amiga%20600%203D%20Printed%20VGA%20Mount

Amiga%20600%20with%20VGA%20Monitor_640.j

• Like 4

So here is the final results. the key did not come back as well as I wanted, but I was afraid to leave them in the Peroxide to much longer. The case came back nice.

Amiga%20600%20Before%20after%20Retrobrit

In this shot you can see the case came back to basically factory color, notice where the badge is/was is exactly the same color now. That was my control area.

Amiga%20600%20After%20Retrobrite.jpg

Almost all back together:

Amiga%20600%20Mostly%20back%20together.j

Notice I removed the wording 'RF Modulator' - I will create a label a little later that says 'VGA Output'

Amiga%20600%20rear%20panel%20RF%20Mod%20

Over all I am much happier the Yellow color was killing me.

• Like 3

The color will come back for sure, I learned the long and hard way, so I'm done "RetroBrite-ing".

I have had pretty good luck with it, I have done all my Apple IIs and they turned out great. I know it will come back eventually, but its nice to have a clean brite finish for now.

I have had pretty good luck with it, I have done all my Apple IIs and they turned out great. I know it will come back eventually, but its nice to have a clean brite finish for now.

I wonder if UV protection clear coating would help with that...

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/

Really, really nice job! I'd be perfectly happy with those results. Curious how you removed the badge safely that's glued to the case... without denting, chipping or scratching?

Its not hard, but takes a little patience. There is a hole through the case, so with the machine taken apart, put some Goo-Gone (not Goof-Off that stuff is nasty) in the hole and let it sit for a while. Then push on it slowly with a small blunt round tool. it will come right off.

I then clean the rest of the old glue off and use a think coat of 3M spray glue to re attach it.

• Like 1

I wonder if UV protection clear coating would help with that...

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/

It will indeed. However, the original plastic texture takes a hit. But yes, this coating will "seal the deal" so to speak on retrobright treated plastics. It might be the best idea in the long run as "re-retrobrighting" will simply weaken the plastic...each time you do it. I still prefer finding non-yellowed original goods as I can be pretty confident if they did not yellow by now there is little chance they will at least in my lifetime. Not all ABS plastics are created equal, that is for sure.

But I will say the results on that A600 are fantasic. I see you put a whole lot of love into this...not something you commonly see in someone new to the Amiga. I salute you!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Might try that next time. I removed my "Commodore 64C" badge using a heat gun and prying all around. The adhesive gives well before the plastic distorts but the metal badge is hot as a mother-*&%$#@!

Yes been there and done that, as I nothing even if you dont warp the plastic the texture changes and retrobriting does not have the same effect on that area

• 4 weeks later...