IGNORED

Custom CoCo joysticks

Nateo

While digging into the conundrum of CoCo game controllers and researching the joystick pinout, I stumbled upon a little doo-dad like this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NAY2Q6O/ref=pd_aw_sbs_229_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8A6N0NGPGRENY9SE56FE&dpPl=1&dpID=416aBBtAgzL)

Has anyone tried to make their own CoCo controllers? I'd be curious to see what I could get working.

• 2 weeks later...

While digging into the conundrum of CoCo game controllers and researching the joystick pinout, I stumbled upon a little doo-dad like this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NAY2Q6O/ref=pd_aw_sbs_229_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8A6N0NGPGRENY9SE56FE&dpPl=1&dpID=416aBBtAgzL)

Has anyone tried to make their own CoCo controllers? I'd be curious to see what I could get working.

I believe that's what has been used in recent Apple II homebrew controllers that are still for sale. They're a pass for me only because there are no adjustment pots/levers, which are critical on an Apple II.

Apple II joysticks work a bit differently from the CoCo though, no? From how it's been previously explained to me, the specific resistance of the potentiometers matters more with the Apple II whereas the CoCo can use a wide variety of resistances in its potentiometers.

Apple II joysticks work a bit differently from the CoCo though, no? From how it's been previously explained to me, the specific resistance of the potentiometers matters more with the Apple II whereas the CoCo can use a wide variety of resistances in its potentiometers.

Correct. I was just making the point that these are used in homebrew Apple II joysticks that I've seen, but I haven't tried one myself because I don't care for Apple II controllers that don't let you adjust x/y values (since many games require their own values).

It would probably work great on the CoCo. I already have vintage joysticks for my CoCo and Dragon systems, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have another option.

• Like 1

I'm getting some stuff to build a joystick in the mail soon... anybody have a recommendation for which kind of tact switches to use for the action buttons? I got some 12mm ones with caps, but pushing them requires more force than your average gamepad button, so I'm having second thoughts about using them.