IGNORED

80-Column game "Texan Dealer 2"

Retrospect

Texan Dealer is an old game by now and so I thought along with the recent remake I would do an 80-column version. The game it's based on, "DrugWars" written by Richard E.Dell in 1984, actually used something like 60 or 80 columns so I adapted my format to suit.

In this zipped attachment is all you need to play, there's the T80XB file from Senior Falcon, needed to play the TEXAN80 game file.

Runs in Extended Basic. In the emulators make sure you're emulating F18A / 80 column hack they are what mine are set to and all is fine.

This is a hard game but it's made easier with the Guide option, use this to check the lowest prices and buy at a low price ,sell at a higher price when you Travel to the next day. You have 31 days to make the most profit.

You travel around the bottom coast of Texas visiting six different areas, buying and selling six different items.

To the left of the screen is the market for buying and to the right hand side of the screen is your stash, or inventory, of items and the amount you paid.

There's a View Stats option to see how well you're doing profit wise and the game keeps a high score.

This is my "beta" release, there will be updates at some other time, maybe put in a gambling game to add more to it so you can bet your money for a big win.

If you come across any errors or bugs please let me know!

Edit: Fixed an error when police arrive,apologies to person who already downloaded broken version!

texan80v2.zip << gambling mode added for Galveston location

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 5

Very cool!!! Your game design would go particularly well on the S&T BBS software (Heateave, Hidden Reef, etc.)

Your display would need to be adjusted to be comprised entirely of PRINT statements (so the text would actually scroll upwards upon refresh rather than starting at the top and building downwards). Then you would need to adjust the code to replace the print statements with the assembly equivalent subroutines contained in the S&T software.

If you fancy a go at an American baseball game, check out BASEBALL on the Heatwave BBS. Its a game I wrote and converted to run in Heatwave. Youll immediately be able to see how your game would look in that format.

Thanks for the new game!!

• Like 2

Nice job Retrospect! :thumbsup: To me one of the biggest drawbacks of the TI has always been it's limited screen width. By exploiting Senior_Falcon's awesome T80XB and overcoming the TI's inherent limitation, you've created quite an enjoyable little game here.

--- THANKS!

Sadly, my first couple of attempts ended up with scores I will not admit to in a public forum, because yes, they were that bad! I'll be playing some more when I get home later today!

• Like 3

Nice job Retrospect! :thumbsup: To me one of the biggest drawbacks of the TI has always been it's limited screen width. By exploiting Senior_Falcon's awesome T80XB and overcoming the TI's inherent limitation, you've created quite an enjoyable little game here.

--- THANKS!

Sadly, my first couple of attempts ended up with scores I will not admit to in a public forum, because yes, they were that bad! I'll be playing some more when I get home later today!

Hi Omega, thanks. Yes the key to getting any sort of score at all is to ensure you've payed the Debt off before the game ends. That debt gathers interest daily and it's only really paid off when you start dealing the big-money items. Start off with Ludes the first few days then move up to bigger ones. I'm gonna put in another option into the game, a gambling game to give players the chance to win more money as the game is quite hard. Thanks for playing

• Like 1

Very cool!!! Your game design would go particularly well on the S&T BBS software (Heateave, Hidden Reef, etc.)

Your display would need to be adjusted to be comprised entirely of PRINT statements (so the text would actually scroll upwards upon refresh rather than starting at the top and building downwards). Then you would need to adjust the code to replace the print statements with the assembly equivalent subroutines contained in the S&T software.

If you fancy a go at an American baseball game, check out BASEBALL on the Heatwave BBS. Its a game I wrote and converted to run in Heatwave. Youll immediately be able to see how your game would look in that format.

Thanks for the new game!!

post-34058-0-22013600-1518798679.png

Looks like someone did Dopewars for a BBS. I'm thinking that's how "DrugWars" started out to be honest.

• Like 2

Actually, printing/scrolling is one of a few options in a BBS environment. A second option is to use ANSI sequences to position the cursor and introduce color. The DopeWars example is entirely do-able with a TI BBS, it just requires someone to take the time to write the program. ;)

How should the VDP registers be set to use the 80 column text mode when using the 9938?

Perhaps the problem is setting the most significant bit of VR1? The 9938 programmer's guide says it should be 0, but I assumed that meant it was ignored like on the F18A? On the 9918A it's the 16K bit.

• Like 1

This is what I used in my Fractals program

VREG1  DATA >0004,>0170,>0203,>0347
       DATA >0401,>0506,>0600,>0717
       DATA >0888,>0A00
       DATA >0C6A,>0E00
       DATA >0DF0
       DATA 0

First byte is the register, second byte is the value.

Also, you can easily detect the chip. The v9938 has several status registers, and status register 4 only has two values: 0xFE or 0xFF. To query SR4, you have to set VR15 to 0x04. Since the TMS9928 does not have such a register, it ignores the setting of VR15, and when you query 8802, you will get the contents of the one and only status register (SR0), which is unlikely to deliver FE or FF.

Edit:

VR0 and VR1 are relevant for turning on the TEXT2 mode. The next registers until 7 have the same role as in the TMS9928A. Register 8 turns on the mouse input (0x80) and sets the VRAM size (0x08). Register 10 contains the three high bits of the color table address (A14,A15,A16). Register 12 defines the alternate color (front=red/back=yellow), as opposed to Register 7 with the usual text color settings (front=black/back=cyan). Register 14 sets the upper three bits of the VRAM access (A14,A15,A16). Register 13 sets the blink rate (4 bits on-time, 4 bits off-time; here: always on).

Edited by mizapf

Should work as intended.

DEF  START
        REF  VWTR,VMBW

TEXT1   DATA 22
        TEXT 'VIDEO CHIP DETECTED AS'
TEXT2   DATA 8
        TEXT 'TMS9928A'
TEXT3   DATA 5
        TEXT 'V9938'

START   LIMI 0
        LI   R0,325
        LI   R1,TEXT1
        MOV  *R1+,R2
        BLWP @VMBW

LI   R0,>0F04   Set status register pointer to SR4
        BLWP @VWTR
        MOVB @>8802,R1  Read status register
        SRL  R1,9
        CI   R1,>007F   SR4 has only two values: >FE and >FF
        JEQ  V9
        LI   R1,TEXT2   but on the TMS9928A there is no SR4 at all
        JMP  COM
V9      LI   R1,TEXT3
COM     MOV  *R1+,R2
        LI   R0,>0F00
        BLWP @VWTR
        LI   R0,396
        BLWP @VMBW

LIMI 2
        JMP  $

END

How many sprites can a 9938 line up in one horizontal row? Is it more than 14? (I know the F18a should be fine?)

Just asking so I know what I'm doing with my gambling side-game activity for one of the locations you visit on the game.

thanks.

Scratch that. Just found out it's eight in a line. :|
I'll work around it.

Edited by Retrospect

One thing that helped some of my code work better with the 9938 (although it was not using enhanced modes) was to set registers 8-15 on the 9938 before registers 0-7... that way on chips that didn't have 8-15 enabled (ie:9918), the register writes would be overwritten by the correct ones. I think that would apply to the F18A doing 80 columns as well...?

If I could write in Assembly I'd do it tomorrow.

From my understanding that's not necessary... with Classic99 one can load and save everything in memory and save it as a .BIN. I know many of us have disk drive systems or devices like the NanoPEB to run disk based software from, but there are still some that only have an FR/FG-99 with 32K sidecar arrangement to run stuff. Maybe it's time for an updated hardware poll? I'm not sure how many FG/32K/F18A configurations are out there now. I'll try to work up a poll sometime in this evening or in the next day or so.

• Like 1

I don't know the details about the 80 column mode on the F18A; on the V9938, you can have one foreground color and one background color (like in Text1), plus another foreground/background for highlighted text (or blinking text). That is, you can at most see four colors at the same time.