IGNORED

The Raspberry Pi and Retropie discussion thread

toptenmaterial

1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

Retropie 4.8 released a few days ago. First major update in a long time. I will be trying this one out this weekend on a spare 3B+ board I have.

- Retroarch updates

- EmulationStation updates

- Bluetooth improvements

- Updated modules like lr-stella and DOSBox

and support for the newer Pi4B boards and the new Pi0-2-W model.

i think this is what really pushed the update to be released because there are Pi models being sold that couldn't even use Retropie. 

they are currently working on support for the current Bullseye OS, so rather than a longer delay they did a good thing and pushed out this long awaited for release :) 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, fdr4prez said:

they are currently working on support for the current Bullseye OS

I remember the headaches from updating to Buster. It was just easier to do a fresh install.

I plan on going that route with one or two builds but my PiCade and probably the Retroflag SNESpi will stay the way they are. Everything works well. The NESpi and the Super Kintaro pi can be the testing playgrounds. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a RPi 4 kit from microcenter and was looking for any information i could find. I have never set one up myself before.

is there a atari themed project or something for these. the last kit came set up already.

Micro Center Atari Retro Gaming Accessory Kit for Raspberry Pi 4; Wireless RF Gamepad; USB C Power Supply w/Power Switch; 6' - Micro Center

Capture.PNG

23 hours ago, Slikatel said:

I recently picked up a RPi 4 kit from microcenter and was looking for any information i could find. I have never set one up myself before.

Retropie is the place to start.

My own $0.02 - don't buy a pre-made image from eBay or any other 3rd party site. The devs don't get a cent of any money charged and they will not support anything except a built from scratch image from their site. Once you walk through the guide listed it should be pretty easy to get running. I remember I had massive headaches getting this up and running but it turned out to be a cheap fake SD card. Once I fixed that it was very easy.

There's also a great support forum there if you get stuck.

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

TL;DR - new Pi setup in the house. :)

Added a new member to the Pi family last week. I just "finished" the build.

Why? - I needed a portable LCD for PC repairs when I go to a person's house. It helps a lot more than you'd think. I wanted a small HDMI solution that had built in speakers and would also run on battery if needed. I really wanted a Sunfounder 10.1" LCD and kept an eye on eBay for a cheap used one. They usually hit $80-$100 either way. Well I picked one up that had a Pi4 2GB installed with a 32gb sd card for $100 ($120 shipped). Great deal! It runs on the same battery pack I use for my PiCade and I already had a bunch of 128gb cards and an XBox One controller lying around. All I needed was a $9 DC jack to USB cable. So not only do I get to use this for work but I now have my 2nd portable Pi.

How's it work? - I put it through a series of tests last night. I ran the battery down 50% before I shut down for the night. In that 50% I got 4+ hours of use running an overclocked Pi 4 at 1.9GHz and a 10" LCD with sound. Transferred and scraped a bunch of new files. I played a lot of games while running Putty to get temperature checks every 10 seconds. It never went above 50°C. I also didn't see any screen tearing or blurry images.

So what? - Well this is a Pi discussion thread and it's a Pi! Plus I'm happy about it. :) It still amazes me how much simpler it is to set up RetroPie from scratch now than when I started doing this. They have made this OS as user friendly as Linux can get (IMO).

image0.jpeg

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, ts-x said:

If anyone uses a RetroPie theme that supports video snaps and has an interest in Intellivision games, please check out this thread over in the RetroPie forums.  I just uploaded an archive of 156 high quality game play video snaps (recorded by me in jzIntv 🙂).

These are so much better than the snaps that have been around forever. Thank you for these!

I wish I knew how to do this. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

These are so much better than the snaps that have been around forever. Thank you for these!

I wish I knew how to do this. :)

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! The recording process is not too bad once you get the software configured (after setting up an “AVI” hotkey in jzIntv), but editing and capturing the appropriate gameplay does take take some time.

Let me drop one more thing here for Intellivision players… a little while back I uploaded a large collection of preconfigured keyboard hack files for an Xbox 360 controller to my GitHub page as well. Here’s the link to the RetroPie forum post related to that. That GitHub also includes some other miscellaneous jzIntv stuff - custom palettes, launch scripts that help resolve joystick drift, cfgs, etc.

Edited by ts-x
  • Like 1