IGNORED

Astro Invader coming soon for the Intellivision

retroillucid

That's right!

We're soon going to release Astro Invaders for the Intellivision

A very fun and addictive arcade game

Meanwhile, here's a quick animated gif along with the box art

Cheers :)

Impressive! Please add me to your pre-order list.

This is completely off topic, but have you checked your email recently? Ive been waiting to receive a follow up response to those new sprites I submitted a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by ColecoGamer

Awesome!!! See... Intellivision could easily have doubled what Atari did if they went the arcade game route instead of wasting money on all those sports licences.

If you're sticking with Stern games... can you do Berzerk using the Intellivoice? That would be sick... as you can see.. I'm a little biased. LOL

IMB

I gotta say it here,all those sports games were great and my friends and I played them for a couple years on end. Every one of them!!! :) I still love Baseball,Bowling Skiing etc.

If i wanted to play Arcade games in the early 80's I went to the Arcade. :thumbsup:

On the other end of it they clearly missed out on Arcade licences I do agree!

I gotta say it here,all those sports games were great and my friends and I played them for a couple years on end. Every one of them!!! :) I still love Baseball,Bowling Skiing etc.

If i wanted to play Arcade games in the early 80's I went to the Arcade. :thumbsup:

On the other end of it they clearly missed out on Arcade licences I do agree!

I think his main point might be what Mattel paid to MLB, NBA, NASL, NHL, PBA, etc. to license their logos to include on the box. The sports games themselves would still have been great. Mattel sure did waste a ton of money on licenses.

• Like 1

I think his main point might be what Mattel paid to MLB, NBA, NASL, NHL, PBA, etc. to license their logos to include on the box. The sports games themselves would still have been great. Mattel sure did waste a ton of money on licenses.

Agreed

Coleco did the very same by using licences to make most of their Colecovision games

That's also mainly why you don't see Plug n Play stuff of those consoles as much as you would see Atari2600 stuff

The best? Creating more original games!

• Like 2

Does anyone know how much Mattel paid for the sports licenses in 1979/80? Those leagues were only a fraction of the multi-billion dollar industries they are today. It's been speculated that since Mattel only paid less than $30k for the development of each of these cartridges it was unlikely they paid more than that for the sports license. Mattel did sell millions of sports cartridges making Mattel millions of dollars. Arcade licenses for popular games like Pac-man and Donkey Kong were going for millions of dollars a year or two later.

However, according to intellivisionlives.com, in 1983 Mattel paid millions for the 1984 Winter Olympic license. In 1979/80 Mattel's marketing budget for Intellivision was much, much smaller than it was in 1982/83. Mattel also lost millions in unused cartoon licenses. According to intellivisionlives.com these licenses had royalty guarantees averaging $300k per license. That was still far short of what a decent arcade license was going for at the time.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

hi there, they was (are) great and for some (me at least) the reason to decide for the inty (licensed or not, while i guess it makes a difference, certainly not for the game but to sell a game.

how much nickels i will ever have spent in arcade machines, the sports games made the difference to me, unfortunately back then i couldn't get my hands on the "super" releases to play them without a friend.

The best? Creating more original games!

in some sort of way i guess it has been digged out what's to dig out, real new ideas i can't imagine (me).

but well, original mustn't mean a complete new concept, just original.

mr_me

that was a very pointed point.

i guess yes they brought them a lot of reputation, so i also guess the sports licenses had payed off well.

"players" are idiots (pardon me), but they run for a character (or brand) they know no matter how bad the game is, it was and it's still that way.

i'm pretty sure you could sell millions of "pong" if it would be entitled "zelda".

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...