IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

3 hours ago, tajvdz said:

Is it possible to connect it to that one without having to solder first? Putting the wires in the holes for the screen maybe?

I use a universal prototyping board and wires with pins, connecting everything without soldering to see if it works:

image.thumb.jpeg.8de519ced385fd3b3779a165da9f7588.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madness77 said:

I use a universal prototyping board and wires with pins, connecting everything without soldering to see if it works:

image.thumb.jpeg.8de519ced385fd3b3779a165da9f7588.jpeg

Ok but with this you can't put the screen on. With screen it is possible to load a game to check the activity led.

1 minute ago, tajvdz said:

Ok but with this you can't put the screen on. With screen it is possible to load a game to check the activity led.

Of course I can, just put the pins in the holes and not on the rail and put on the LCD display:

image.thumb.jpeg.0074dd4642d0bad1baf01bbb48e9bd01.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, madness77 said:

Of course I can, just put the pins in the holes and not on the rail and put on the LCD display:

image.thumb.jpeg.0074dd4642d0bad1baf01bbb48e9bd01.jpeg

Ok I see. The way I did it it isn't possible. Or maybe twist the 3 wires on the pins of the screen that go into 5v, gnd and rx? I think that you don't have to push the screen all the way down?

It works like on the picture. If I make sure the wire stays away from other pins I can try. But on the other hand I'm not that keen to experiment with my working sdrive.

20240414_191540.jpg

46 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Ok I see. The way I did it it isn't possible. Or maybe twist the 3 wires on the pins of the screen that go into 5v, gnd and rx? I think that you don't have to push the screen all the way down?

It does not have to be pressed. You can wrap the wires around the pins.

46 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

It works like on the picture. If I make sure the wire stays away from other pins I can try. But on the other hand I'm not that keen to experiment with my working sdrive.

If you insulate the connections well, so that there is no risk of accidental short-circuiting, nothing bad can happen.

At worst, at most you'll blow up a $5 Arduino board ;-) But I can tell you from experience that Atmega controllers are pretty damn robust, I once burnt a Raspberry Pi board by accidentally short-circuiting 3.3V to ground, but I've yet to kill an Arduino. :D

Edited by madness77

20 minutes ago, madness77 said:

It does not have to be pressed. You can wrap the wires around the pins.

If you insulate the connections well, so that there is no risk of accidental short-circuiting, nothing bad can happen.

At worst, at most you'll blow up a $5 Arduino board ;-) But I can tell you from experience that Atmega controllers are pretty damn robust, I once burnt a Raspberry Pi board by accidentally short-circuiting 3.3V to ground, but I've yet to kill an Arduino. :D

Well I destroyed an Arduino. And I want to keep the other one working. I will try it later with safe wires.

I had a busy week but today I finally had time to make a new set of wires. I twisted the wires on the pins of the screen. I think it works like it should. I use external power. When I put power on the sdrive max both leds go on. When I put power on my Atari the green led goes off. When i load a game it starts blinking. When loading finishes the led goes off. The last part is normal i guess. But is it also normal that the green / activity leds is on When only the sdrive has power?

20240419_200531.jpg

Who can tell if this is normal behaviour? If so I can finally finish my sdrive max.

By the way on my other arduino print the text next to the hole I should use for 5v says something different than 5v. If I use it it works and makes no difference to the other 5v hole. 

Who can tell if this is normal behaviour

No, the LED should be off

By the way on my other arduino print the text next to the hole I should use for 5v says something different than 5v

Use the hole that is labeled 5V, show photo

Edited by madness77

On 4/23/2024 at 3:03 PM, madness77 said:

No, the LED should be off

Use the hole that is labeled 5V, show photo

Well the green / activity led is off when there is power on the Atari. When only the Sdrive has power the green led is on. If this is ok and can't do any harm it is no problem for me. It does blink on activity / loading a game.

Here is a photo of both Arduinos. The one on the left is the working one and the one on the right is the one I tested on earlier. Both boards seems identical but only the text next to the second and third hole from top on the left are different. I tried both IOREF and 5v and they both act the same. I marked the 3 holes I used and which are the same in the instruction video. What is wise to do on the left Arduino?

20240424_160302.jpg

3 hours ago, tajvdz said:

What is wise to do on the left Arduino?

Arduino_UNO_pinout.thumb.png.18ecd33f4dae55f56b56dd68fe33a9aa.png

"This provides a logic reference voltage for shields that use it. It is connected to the 5V bus."

You can use it, but IMHO better to use 5V pin, electrically irrelevant (they are interconnected), it's just a matter of convention.

Edited by madness77

7 hours ago, madness77 said:

Arduino_UNO_pinout.thumb.png.18ecd33f4dae55f56b56dd68fe33a9aa.png

"This provides a logic reference voltage for shields that use it. It is connected to the 5V bus."

You can use it, but IMHO better to use 5V pin, electrically irrelevant (they are interconnected), it's just a matter of convention.

Ok, I see what is most convenient with soldering which hole I use.

Only thing that is kind of bothering me is that the activity / green led is on while the Atari is off. This obviously has something to do with the sio connection. I use external power. If you have it sio powered there is no possibility to have power on the sdrive only. So maybe this is normal like it is? Like I said earlier I can't remember what the activity led did on the arduino with uno2sio board that had the leds connected on that, the one I had from Gavin.

I'm afraid I need some advise again. Besides the leds I want to add there was another thing I wanted to change on my sdrive max. The sio cable of the sdrive I use now was a bit too long. Before I wanted to finish the leds I wanted to shorten the cable. I had to do that on the side of the connector. I ordered some molex connectors and decided to give it a go. Before I started I wrote down the colors. But for some strange reason the pins ended up mirrored. When I was finished I connected the sdrive to the Atari and I got ready instead of the sdrive menu. I then found out that I made a mistake. When that was corrected I got the sdrive menu and I thought thank god I didn't destroy this one as well. I didn't put the arduino in the case while testing so I put everything together first and after that I wanted to load a game. That didn't work. I got the sdrive menu but the game didn't load. The sdrive was acting very strange. It took longer than usual before the menu loaded and scrolling was acting different, slower and with noise most of the time. So Loading games didn't work at first. Finally I thought it was working again because it loaded a game but it was not. I found out the touch screen wasn't responding when I wanted to empty the disk slot. After taking the power of the sdrive menu didn't boot and I got ready again. I tried another screen. Then it worked again. The second game gave boot error. I tried another sd card. It loaded a game. I have a switch on the power lead. All of the sudden I realised that it worked once after I disconnected everything including the sio cable. I don't know why but at that point I thought there was a connection with the external power. So I put the switch inside the sdrive max to sio power. And guess what? All the problems were gone and the sdrive was acting like it should be. Can someone explain why external power isn't working anymore? Was having the pins in the sio connector on the wrong place the reason or is it something else? And if something got destroyed is it the drive or the Atari? I hope not the Atari. But on the other hand it is working with Sio power now. So I really hope there is a logical explanation for this. And If something got damaged please let it be the sdrive.

Edited by tajvdz
Corrected mistakes.

It is still working but I'm not possible to load a game now that was working yesterday after I got the trouble. This in fact is making me a bit nervous. I have 2 sd cards and the game isn't working on both. Other games work just fine. What can be the reason of this?

The game I was talking about was Goonies. I have 5 different atx files on the sd card. Finally one was loading. The others stop loading in the beginning. But not always at the same point. What can be the reason?

I don't know how to test the Atari but I did the rom / ram memory test in self test and that one was ok. 

Because most games load I don't think there is something wrong with the Atari itself?

Edited by tajvdz

Well the file is working now. My main concern is why is the sdrive giving ptoblems with external power and not with sio power? Is this caused by a problem in the atari or in the Sdrive? If it is the Atari it can cause problems with all devices I connect to the sio that has external power. By the way i just tested with another adapter and that gave the same problem. 

I want to test with another sdrive max from a friend but he thinks connecting his sdrive to my Atari can damage his. I think not but I'm not a technician and he is. 

17 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

[...] My main concern is why is the sdrive giving ptoblems with external power and not with sio power? Is this caused by a problem in the atari or in the Sdrive? If it is the Atari it can cause problems with all devices I connect to the sio that has external power. By the way i just tested with another adapter and that gave the same problem. 

- so you connected an external power supply as the switch (or jumper) was set to supply via SIO? Well...  I may not have good news...
- have you tried powering the Arduino from USB? E.g. from a normal phone charger or from a computer/laptop? Only with the switch set to "external", of course.

No I didn't use external power with switch on sio. 

What I did was alter the length of the sio cable because it was too long. I had to do that on the side of the connector. I cut off a bit and put the connector back on. I only put the pins on the wrong place in the connector. I wrote down the colours from top but I put them in upside down. So on the row with 6 pins those 2 were switched. I saw that it was 5v and gnd. I booted the Atari twice with those 2 switched. So 5v was on gnd and gnd was on 5v. The Atari didn't boot from the sdrive and I got the ready prompt. After I corrected it it seemed to work but with external power that I always used it didn't work like it should be. When I put the sio switch to sio powered and took the external power supply off the problems were gone. So either Sdrive or Atari got damaged. I just tried another adapter and that gave the same problems.. So I really hope the problems are in the Sdrive. How can I test this? 

Edited by tajvdz

You have shorted 5V to ground through the power loop of supplies, damage may have happened to both the computer and the SDRIVE. You will have to thoroughly go through each. You have indicated you are not a technician and in so doing I would suggest it be taken to an experienced tech who can verify all functions including scope reading to verify timing edges/voltage/rise/fall/and frequencies. A visual look over the most direct power pathways to and from the SIO port and power supplies of both devices are in order. You may have damaged some capacitors and what not. So give all components a look for leaks, bulges, distortions, or burns on all such components.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You have shorted 5V to ground through the power loop of supplies, damage may have happened to both the computer and the SDRIVE. You will have to thoroughly go through each. You have indicated you are not a technician and in so doing I would suggest it be taken to an experienced tech who can verify all functions including scope reading to verify timing edges/voltage/rise/fall/and frequencies. A visual look over the most direct power pathways to and from the SIO port and power supplies of both devices are in order. You may have damaged some capacitors and what not. So give all components a look for leaks, bulges, distortions, or burns on all such components.

Well this doesn't make me happy. Is it safe to use another sdrive on my Atari with external power? If it works then there can't be much or not any damage to the Atari at all? Like I also said is using the sdrive with sio power not giving problems. Is that a good sign?

I would still look at everything, I would verify voltages under load, whatever power supply used to power the machines at the time of the mishap may have over current damage because power was put to them in reverse by-bassing their in built protections