IGNORED

Super Carger Cassette Player Compatibility

Galactus

A few years ago a bought a new RCA cassette player to use with my supercharger, but it didn't work. Apparently they have to be older to work. :) I have a nice old Walkman that works, but I want something I can plug in and don't have to keep burning batteries on. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks much.

Anything like this will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-General-Electric-Computer-Program-Data-Recorder-Cassette-Deck-3-5158B/382375730467?epid=1111878236&hash=item59075e9d23:g:C4sAAOSw~uJaUtdj

Notice it has the all important tone control and AC in. Just be sure to clean the heads, capstan and pinch roller from time to time and you should be good. Maybe even demagnetize the heads every great now and again. :)

• Like 1

What about an old radio with a cassette player built into it? I always thought that any audiocassette player would work as long as the headphone jack is there. I have a Supercharger, and sometimes use it. But, I also have a copy of "Stella Gets a New Brain," which is a Supercharger CD. With that, I use a CD player. I do not know where you can find the ISO for that, but if you can, it is worth your while to burn it to a CD-R. It has all the Supercharger games ever made on it, and works on a CD player the same way as the Supercharger connects to a tape player. But, for tape players, my recommendation is to go to a local thrift store, like a Goodwill, to find one. They get that stuff all the time, and cheap. Heck, a Sony Walkman tape player could probably do it.

I will do my research and see what I can do to find an ISO image of it. It has got to be out there, and the CD would be more durable than the actual cassettes. Thanks for letting me share. :)

Edited by jericho_21

Hi, there,

I couldn't find the "Stella Gets a New Brain" CD yet, but this might help, if you ever want to burn a CD and use a CD player:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/125293-worship-the-woodgrain-in-mp3-format-4-disks-2pg-track-list/

There you go. Thanks. :)

Edited by jericho_21

I just read on the WtW (Worship the Woodgrain) information, and I would not bother with that. Sorry. You would have to modify the Supercharger to play MP3s. Too much effort for that. Best bet: get a older tape player like that one save2600 found on eBay. Again, my apologies. Just trying to help. Thanks :)

Ok, I'll try that one, save. I checked and the RCA doesn't have any tone control. Maybe that's the problem. Jericho, I have a Harmony Cart, and while I haven't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure all the Starpath games are on that card. I just like playing stuff on original hardware for nostalgic reasons and to make sure everything still works. If you don't have a Harmony Cart though, you should try to get one. I wish I would have gotten one a lot sooner. I tried finding that CD years ago but I think It's done. Thanks much. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

+1 for wanting to use real and original media. Things like cassette tapes absolutely NEED to be used once in a while. Even if you just pop it in to fast forward or rewind in order to keep the tape taut and the hubs loose. In other words, fast forward a side, rewind a side - whatever. Play and usage also helps to prevent audible bleed-through between tracks. Periodic playing of the machine is also great for belts and idler tires. Like the human body, gotta keep these things in semi-perpetual motion for longer life. :)

Barely got through this response before remembering I have this NOS beauty all boxed up:

post-13896-0-15170300-1518911687.jpg post-13896-0-45748500-1518911712.jpg

post-13896-0-58386400-1518911722.jpg post-13896-0-44280900-1518911732.jpg

…need to put her to use and soon! Could be for sale, but will want decent bucks for her as she's minty and complete. :love:

Sound recording cartridge tape! Earbud, mic, stand and genuine pleather… might be real leather actually - will have to look. All I know is it still smells new. lol

• Like 3

Ok, I'll try that one, save. I checked and the RCA doesn't have any tone control. Maybe that's the problem. Jericho, I have a Harmony Cart, and while I haven't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure all the Starpath games are on that card. I just like playing stuff on original hardware for nostalgic reasons and to make sure everything still works. If you don't have a Harmony Cart though, you should try to get one. I wish I would have gotten one a lot sooner. I tried finding that CD years ago but I think It's done. Thanks much. I appreciate it.

Yeah, they might be. I will think about that. Thanks. :)

+1 for wanting to use real and original media. Things like cassette tapes absolutely NEED to be used once in a while. Even if you just pop it in to fast forward or rewind in order to keep the tape taut and the hubs loose. In other words, fast forward a side, rewind a side - whatever. Play and usage also helps to prevent audible bleed-through between tracks. Periodic playing of the machine is also great for belts and idler tires. Like the human body, gotta keep these things in semi-perpetual motion for longer life. :)

Barely got through this response before remembering I have this NOS beauty all boxed up:

attachicon.gif_IGP7941.jpg attachicon.gif_IGP7942.jpg

attachicon.gif_IGP7943.jpg attachicon.gif_IGP7946.jpg

…need to put her to use and soon! Could be for sale, but will want decent bucks for her as she's minty and complete. :love:

Sound recording cartridge tape! Earbud, mic, stand and genuine pleather… might be real leather actually - will have to look. All I know is it still smells new. lol

True. I also have "Phaser Patrol" for my Supercharger. Of course, that came with the cartridge. Fun game. Reminds me of "Star Raiders." :)

A few years ago a bought a new RCA cassette player to use with my supercharger, but it didn't work. Apparently they have to be older to work. :) I have a nice old Walkman that works, but I want something I can plug in and don't have to keep burning batteries on. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks much.

Make a timing tape and adjust your player, many of the new ones are a little too fast or slow. The SuperCharger needs the timing to be close to spot on to stay in synch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AHtB_Mf48I

The supercharger actually isn't to picky about speed, more consistency. The original tapes actually have two speeds on tape in case your player couldn't handle one. The Stella gets a new brain CD has the games far faster, shocked me the first time I loaded one.

The problem is likely the mono plug the supercharger uses doesn't quiet match up with modern stereo plugs most players have. I had that problem, I'd plug it in and pull it out ever so slightly to get it lined up. Most audio kits (if they still make them) include 1/8-1/4 type adapters also have stereo splitters as well as stereo to mono plugs. I use one of those.