IGNORED

Montezuma's Revenge

AAA177

Since I started playing this game on the Atari 800XL, I am putting this here, even though I am now playing it on Colecovision Flashback.

I've always liked this game. It's great on all platforms, but I have to admit I am more used to the better graphics of the computer version, so I haven't really pursued it too much on the 2600 (although that version is still very, very good).

I'm sure many have played this title, so I was curious to ask -- does anyone get annoyed by the fact that falling kills the character? To me, that seems like it could be considered a design flaw. However, it occurred to me that maybe the game might be too easy if that weren't the case (probably not for me, though). I was wondering what others thought about this.

One thing maybe we can all agree on: the Coleco controller with this game is a terrible experience (yet, I still play)...

Absolutely one of my favorite games too! I play it on my 800 that is connected to my monitor with a S video cable. I still get mad when

I feel like I should have made it over a snake/skull/spider, and smack the joystick down on the table in disgust! And I'm over 65.

Sometimes it's more fun not to grow up!

DavidMil

• Like 6

If you have not played/tried playing "Bristles" - then give that a good go - and enjoy it?

You can screw up in playing this game as much as you like - as it is time based.

I think this game design - reworking the platform game, is brilliant. It does take time to get use to how the character moves and jumps - but once you get use to that - it works nicely.

I, too don't really enjoy platform games in which you make one mistake - that you lose a life and have to start all over again. Likewise for other games that follow this format - in other game genres.

Someone may have trained Montezuma's Revenge - maybe? This happens a lot for C-64 games? That someone hacks it - and then have options to turn on/off such things as collision detection, etc..

A programmer could do it - if they have the inclination to do so...

A simple hack - is to add extra lives to it. It doesn't fix the problem you have with it - but with extra lives - it's more doable to be able to get a lot further in it, than in a normal version.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 1

Absolutely one of my favorite games too! I play it on my 800 that is connected to my monitor with a S video cable. I still get mad when

I feel like I should have made it over a snake/skull/spider, and smack the joystick down on the table in disgust! And I'm over 65.

Sometimes it's more fun not to grow up!

DavidMil

And THAT is the spirit I love to see on here, age is just a number....Play in whatever form you call it keeps you thriving, you are never too old to enjoy!

Hehehe - I loved that game as a kid! I personally found the falling hilarious.

I started out with it on the PC (XT with CGA graphics and internal speaker sound). Later, I brought it to my high school girlfriend's place when they bought a new computer. (286 with EGA graphics) and the damn game ran so quickly you couldn't play it.

Memories. I bought a Video61 cart of it a few years back for the A8

If you have not played/tried playing "Bristles" - then give that a good go - and enjoy it?

You can screw up in playing this game as much as you like - as it is time based.

Harvey

Isn't that the painting game? Where you catch little lifts to go up and down between floors?

I have it here somewhere. My boys used to play it all the time. You're right, it is a cute game.

David

Yes - it is that painting game. I think it's the best game from that development group. I think it shows particularly an ingenuity in game design. I wonder if the other standard platform games can be retweaked with new levels - and maybe with a special kids (easy) version in which you can make mistakes and simply carry on playing?

I never got into Mr Robot and his robot factory? I found it too quirky with it's graphic designs and it's movement/etc...

Harvey

Yeah loved Bristles, always thought it was bugged with the odd on screen thing until I was told about the letters thing..

And for some reason after a game of Bristles I would always play Flip and Flop next...Nice times, nice memories..

Ah, Mr Robot, the music hooked me but I loved the fact it had a construction mode which I'd not seen on many titles, plus being a platformer it just HAD to be played, that and shooters.

Edited by Mclaneinc