IGNORED

WIP: bexagon

sh3-rg

This is slick. I love the cascading effect of the piece that disappear and reappear. Kept me on my toes just watching it.

Cheers for that. The game is played on the inner hexagon which is most noticeable itself when the inner green glow rmw object appears. While the scaled outer copies of it provide a little feeling of depth, they're just showing the outer segments of the play area repeated. When sat looking at a small screen video of the game being played they obviously don't make much sense, but when you're playing your gaze is fixed squarely in the centre of the screen, everything else is periphery, and although I can't prove it, I feel it does help give you a better sense of where future danger is approaching from. It also feels pretty cool and has depth that a single flat object doesn't provide. You really feel this sat in front of a large TV. I'm going to experiment with switching to just the massive scaled play area and see how that feels having everything very brixxely and in your face, problem being I'd have to have dummy 8-bit objects over the top to simulate the 2 existing objects that wouldn't be visible, in order to keep the load on the system even, otherwise the music would speed up quite rapidly and break all the syncing. Then again I should stop tinkering with it and just get it done!

Mmmm.... and the tasty, tasty gouraud shading. :thumbsup:

GGN calls it Gouraudoge shading, that's quite apt. I played around with depth shading using rmw objects, but the results weren't great and, as usual when treading the minefield of these things, susceptible to assploding into all kinds of fruity pinks and purples to assault the player's eyes. The shading is essentially a freebie taking advantage of how the game works by manipulating colour registers. Nothing clever or special, inkeeping with everything else, but it all comes together nicely to make something we're increasingly happy with :) It'll all be quite clear when we release a little game sometime soon.

Edited by sh3-rg

• 1 month later...

outline party version available:

http://bellogames.atari.org

4MB ROM, 60Hz only, no emulators. It'll probably play at 50Hz, but won't by synced and might well crash, was going to add a lockout, but meh no point.

Use 1 & 3 on keypad, d-pad or A&C, or a combo of those. It's hard. Not Hexagon-hard, but also not easy. Prepare to die a lot if you want to get good.

• Like 11