IGNORED

Free Midway emulation in-browser

JeffVav

Woah! I haven't seen you around these parts in a while!

Lost my password and had been lurking. :) Finally went through the reset process.

Impressive. Reminds me of like 15 years ago or so when Midway themselves had some old shockwave style site that had probably 10 of their old arcade games on it. I used to mess with it a bit when I was stuck somewhere with a computer to use (like work, if I had down time.)

Thanks. FWIW, the Midway Shockwave thing you're talking about was us too. :)

Nice to see Digital Eclipse/Code Mystics doing their thing!

Just to confuse matters, there is a Digital Eclipse back again, but it's not us. The name was bought by one of the former DE founders when Foundation 9 shut down, and he restarted it a year or two ago. They were more the Game Boy side of things back in the day.

• Like 3

Impressive. Reminds me of like 15 years ago or so when Midway themselves had some old shockwave style site that had probably 10 of their old arcade games on it. I used to mess with it a bit when I was stuck somewhere with a computer to use (like work, if I had down time.)

Yeah, I played that a lot in my college days. There was a contest where the highest score would win a Dreamcast with Gauntlet Legends included. I loved that game so much in the arcade that I canceled my PS2 pre-order and got a Dreamcast to play GL on it.

I found this the other day when I checked the Code Mystics site and had fun with a round of Root Beer Tapper.

Seemed to be a bit of input lag, but this PC is pretty weak these days, so the problem was probably at my end. Plus I'm not used to using a keyboard for classic arcade games, which might've contributed to the feeling. Keyboard buttons have a bit more throw to them than a button on a gamepad or arcade stick does.

I know ... just putting it out there in case "someone" is watching.

I was happy to see that Atari Hits for iOS was (eventually) updated and disappointed that Infocom Classics was (yet) not. I understand these are contract deals, and the rights holders have to care about their stuff.

Bottom line is it's their game. We just built it for them. Apple doesn't recognise us as having any authority whatsoever for the products or their updates.

• Like 1

We don't currently have any insight into what Atari might want to do with AGH in the future.

I imagine if there are any major changes they'd have to have a way of recouping the cost. With no special insight behind this thought, I'd wager the question they'd want to answer is: what can they have us do to a 7-year-old app to make it a hot seller again?

Call me a little crazy, but I'd be willing to pay up to something of the original app price (for all games) to get MFi controller support.

The alternative to legit commercial emulation is piracy. It's sad to me when rights holders (Atari, Midway) don't support their stuff as well as unpaid community volunteers. It diminishes their ability to claim the high ground or command high asking prices for their stuff.

Provenance and GBA4ios are pretty cool on iOS, and they have kept pace with changes in the developer ecosystem and fully support MFi controllers, which are not a new thing.

$10/year lets you install these apps with the Build Store's developer certificate. I'm not participating anymore out of principle and security concerns, but the option is out there: https://builds.io/apps/provenance/

It would reflect better on the rights holders to keep current, well-supported apps in the App Store. If that means they have to take a loss to engage good developers like Code Mystics to make that happen, I think they should do it.

I know I'd think more of Atari in particular if they supported their existing stuff rather than dabbling in speaker hats, crypto currency, and crowdfunded promises of new consoles.

• Like 1

Isn't this stuff available, legitimately, on other platforms. I don't think ios is a worthwile platform for them because of the interface. Very few ios users would have a game controller and the default interface doesn't give you the best experience.