IGNORED

Atari 7800 power connector is not proprietary: found a few donors

CZroe

Just thought I’d share a few other devices that use the same connectors:

https://youtu.be/DjrHhYHZFSA

I know we have discussed the old Texas Instruments calculators that use this plug from the era when you would actually want to power off AC to save on batteries, but I’ve found a couple more to add to the list in the last year.

If you can pick up one of these for a few bucks and make a pigtail or splice it onto a junk adapter you might save some money over those $16-$25 aftermarket units. Still wish I knew what they were called so I could order a bunch!

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 5

Just thought Id share a few other devices that use the same connectors:

I know we have discussed the old Texas Instruments calculators that use this plug from the era when you would actually want to power off AC to save on batteries, but I’ve found a couple more to add to the list in the last year.

If you can pick up one of these for a few bucks and make a pigtail or splice it onto a junk adapter you might save some money over those $16-$25 aftermarket units. Still wish I knew what they were called so I could order a bunch!

Nice.

Why is your 7800 outside? [emoji4]

Some shavers use these connectors too.

It was an extra in storage in an accessory building at my mom’s place and I wasn’t going to record inside the poorly-lit storage shed on top of everything being stored there. [emoji4] It was literally right outside the front door and the lighting was MUCH better.

I did order the Brinkmann plug and it does fit. Specs don’t match so you have to splice it to something else, which I already did, since the spotlight’s batteries were ruined and there is no MFG support anymore. Should’ve shown that in the video too.

Regarding shavers: Yeah, I could have sworn that I’ve seen them on shavers too but I’ve been on the look out and haven’t been able to confirm. I’ve seen a lot of similar, but different, shaver connectors since I’ve been on the hunt. Been hunting a few years checking thrift stores and fleamarkets regularly.

Edit: just realized it was outside in the other part of the vid too. That was because I was getting ready to smash the adapter with a hammer to remove the guts when I decided to document the existence on video. [emoji4] I had the console with me so I could keep test fitting as I chopped the extra bulk that was preventing me from fully inserting it.

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 3

I just wrote the seller and mentioned they are a good fit for Atari 7800 and are hard to come by and told him I'd hate to see them recycled(well unless meaning as being used on an Atari 7800), and provided the URL for here so hopefully they don't get wasted. I told him maybe he should mention in the listing that the plug fits Atari 7800

• Like 1

$4.99 BIN and they have tons of them. I thought about keeping the link to myself but the nice guy in me prevailed. I'm gonna have to kick his ass soon enough. He's being too nice to others too often. We can't have that if I'm gonna keep up the resident asshole position.

Woah. There definitely wasn’t anything that price when I looked around last year! I didn’t look around again before tacking that old video to the end of the one about the other plug (“Shark”).

WE HAVE MORE THAN 2000 AVAILABLE, WE ARE LISTING FOR ONLY 7 DAYS, AFTER THE LISTING IS CLOSED THEY WILL BE SENT FOR RECYCLING

Uh oh. I better tell them how to market these! Atari Guide used to charge $3 back when they used to sell pigtails.

Edit: SignGuy81 beat me to it. Thanks!

Edited by CZroe

2079a81d47523052e3a4c56082f72e28.jpg

Last year I ordered this one for just under $10 and got the car/DC adapter instead so I had to return it.

9f94a8b2bf581742e1c6733b0643d1cc.jpg

I had to pay ~$3 more for this one but I got the right thing.

Wish that auction listing was going on last summer!

FYI: I don’t think these were the right specs for just connecting straight up. You’re better off asking the seller to cut the cords off and send just the cords.

Edited by CZroe

it looked like the output voltage was 15V i didn't catch the rest

Makes sense. The battery is a 12v lead acid type and the charger would need to be a little more. Polarity is also important, but when you wire the cord up to your own adapter then that’s obviously up to you. [emoji4]

I told him the plug was the right fit so I hope he didn't misunderstand me and list the adapter in whole as compatible with the 7800. So you may would still want to write too as well to provide more details in case I didn't word everything right.

Will do. Thanks! Edited by CZroe

Hi. Months ago I intended to tell Atari 7800 fans they could use these to make an adapter for their game consoles. I myself have 4 consoles & only 1 adapter. Originals are expensive & replicas are ~$20+ so people want a cheaper option that doesn’t involve hacking up the machine.

Unfortunately, it looks like I forgot to tell anyone about it until today when I shared another adapter that uses this plug. To remedy this, I uploaded a single video covering both and linked it on AtariAge. Soon, people discovered your listing. Wish you listed this last July (I spent $12.80).

Looks like I made the video just in time! I want to clarify that the adapters aren’t directly compatible. They simply have an uncommon plug/connector that fits. 7800 users will only need the cord so you can cut them off the bulky brick and recycle that. Much easier/cheaper to ship!

That said, how much shipped for 3 without the bricks? How about 10? I don’t see needing that many personally but some spares can’t hurt. ;)

Sent.
  • Like 2

Another note about using other 9v PSUs with a pigtail made from these:

Try to use a regulated adapter like a modern switching PSU if you are going to use something significantly over 1A. The bulky, heavier, older types (linear transformer) could output too high a voltage when the load is too low, so try to stay around ~9v ~1A with that kind. Sega Genesis model 1 9v 1.2A is perfect (linear type).

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Would be nice if he would cut the cords and sell them in bulk to one of\many of us. He can recycle the rest as he plans.

I just contacted him and asked him for a few cut-off cables. It would probably make more sense for a US or even OKC user to try to get any unsold stock and sell it off over time or make some extra money by attaching the cables to modern transformers.

I just contacted him and asked him for a few cut-off cables. It would probably make more sense for a US or even OKC user to try to get any unsold stock and sell it off over time or make some extra money by attaching the cables to modern transformers.

The cables themselves are fine. Nobody really needs to be investing in transformers. Interested parties can do that themselves. It would be a lot harder to find someone willing to invest in both the cords and the transformers and then to also build them up for others just to make a couple bucks at best. I see this as more of a chance for people who want to do this for themselves to do so.

The cables themselves are fine. Nobody really needs to be investing in transformers. Interested parties can do that themselves. It would be a lot harder to find someone willing to invest in both the cords and the transformers and then to also build them up for others just to make a couple bucks at best. I see this as more of a chance for people who want to do this for themselves to do so.

Yeah, but a couple bucks times 2,000 is a lot. [emoji4]

That many would flood the market, of course, so it’d be a huge gamble. I’d be surprised if there are that many unmodded 7800 owners looking for an adapter but, then again, I’ve probably only seen adapters with half of the consoles I’ve ever handled.

Might make sense to offer them with these, at least:

070c21d5ee375c068ba917803a4a1e88.jpg

Edit: Wow. The price on eBay for aftermarket 7800 power supplies really has spiked. They are around $26.50 shipped from Amazon, which should be looked at as a price ceiling for anything involving these. Looks like there might be a market for $15 or $20 plugs. Anyone know if Best Electronics is out of stock?

Edited by CZroe

Edit: Wow. The price on eBay for aftermarket 7800 power supplies really has spiked. They are around $26.50 shipped from Amazon, which should be looked at as a price ceiling for anything involving these. Looks like there might be a market for $15 or $20 plugs. Anyone know if Best Electronics is out of stock?

I've fixed up some dead 7800 power supplies over the years using the cord and a compatible transformer and $15 was all I was able to get out of them and that with with a "real" blue atari end on them. Your $15 assumption is probably right. $20 might be too high to move them in any numbers.

I've fixed up some dead 7800 power supplies over the years using the cord and a compatible transformer and $15 was all I was able to get out of them and that with with a "real" blue atari end on them. Your $15 assumption is probably right. $20 might be too high to move them in any numbers.

Yeah, but I think prices have spiked in the last year or so. Cheapest one on eBay right now is $41 shipped (!) and the new after market ones are significantly higher than that ($65 shipped!). Only one under $26 in recently sold history and it was an original “untested” original sold as-is.

Searches were broad:

“Atari 7800 ac”

“Atari 7800 power”

“Atari 7800 adapter” results in too many of those RCA Cinch to coaxial F-type adapters to be useful.

Obviously, that Amazon price is the one to beat.

If Best Electronics is out of stock of his $15 or $18 originals he might want to buy a bunch of these so he can still offer something. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe

Yeah, but I think prices have spiked in the last year or so. Cheapest one on eBay right now is $41 shipped (!) and the new after market ones are significantly higher than that ($65 shipped!). Only one under $26 in recently sold history and it was an original “untested” original sold as-is.

Searches were broad:

“Atari 7800 ac”

“Atari 7800 power”

“Atari 7800 adapter” results in too many of those RCA Cinch to coaxial F-type adapters to be useful.

Obviously, that Amazon price is the one to beat.

If Best Electronics is out of stock of how $15 or $18 originals he might want to buy a bunch of these so he can still offer something. [emoji4]

Best is out of 7800 power supplies ?

Speaking of the 7800 power adapter...

I have both a 7800 and a Sega Master System. I have noticed that the two power blocks look the same, but I left it at that. The other day I looked at the specifications of the two, and lo and behold, if it weren't for the connector, they would be interchangeable. Because of this, I'm seriously contemplating replacing the power jack on my 7800 with a SMS compatible one. This way I don't have to keep swapping the adapters.