IGNORED

7800 Sound Problem?

7800 2

Hi! I have a problem with my 7800's sound.The sound seems to go softer then louder.It's almost like someones turning down the sound and then turning it up again. I've tried fiddling with the settings on my tv and found nothing that would help. I've also tried a few rca cables and it still does the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is your 7800 AV modded? If not, it is possible the audio coil might need some adjustment if you are using RF to your TV.

No my 7800 is not AV modded?I was thinking of sending it in to be though.I read a previous thread about the audio coil and there does not seem to be any effect on the problem when I adjust it.There seems to be a pattern to the volume lowering at least in Tower Toppler. It only lowers on a certain part on the title screen music and goes back to normal volume in later in the music. It repeats.

It might be the TV I had it hooked up to.It's hard to tell because the I just tested it on a bigger TV and I Can't hear the problem on it.It could still be there but I can't hear it as well.If it is the Smaller TV I didn't find anything to fix it in the TV's settings.

It might be the TV I had it hooked up to.It's hard to tell because the I just tested it on a bigger TV and I Can't hear the problem on it.It could still be there but I can't hear it as well.If it is the Smaller TV I didn't find anything to fix it in the TV's settings.

May be. Have you hooked anything else up to the TV that the 7800 was having issues with and seen if you had the same problem with other devices on the TV.

May be. Have you hooked anything else up to the TV that the 7800 was having issues with and seen if you had the same problem with other devices on the TV.

I have a 2600 Jr and an Intellivision somewhere I can try.

Edit: The 2600 Jr has the same problem.Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Edited by 7800 2

Hi! I have a problem with my 7800's sound.The sound seems to go softer then louder.It's almost like someones turning down the sound and then turning it up again. I've tried fiddling with the settings on my tv and found nothing that would help. I've also tried a few rca cables and it still does the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have a 2600 Jr and an Intellivision somewhere I can try.

Edit: The 2600 Jr has the same problem.Any suggestions on how to fix it?

The odds of both the 7800 and the 2600 Jr exhibiting the same exact issue and being a problem with the consoles are low, albeit not impossible. Nonetheless, it may be some sort of equalization, normalization, surround effect, or/and other enhancement on the TV's volume coming into play that might be overlooked.

Try to find a manual (either hardcopy or online) referencing the brand and model of the display. Look for any sort of audio/advance settings of the television and turn all those features off.

• Like 2

I can watch TV just fine.

So do you have a switchbox hooked up and are you watching analog cable TV? Reason I'm asking is because it could be with the tuner inside the TV and you may not notice any issues if you are watching TV from a device that is hooked up to your other TVs inputs. Also about the switchbox if you are using one of those it may be possible it could be picking up interference and you would be better off getting an RCA to coax adapter.

Is the volume difference occurring within the same game or only changes between different games?

If within the same game the volume remains consistent, but then you play another game and the volume is considerably louder or lower than the last one you played, there may be nothing wrong.

Some games have a much louder volume setting hard coded into the game programming (I.E. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr), as opposed to games with a more modest programmed volume setting (I.E. Food Fight, Dig Dug).

What you described in a previous post regarding Tower Toppler title screen music...

There seems to be a pattern to the volume lowering at least in Tower Toppler. It only lowers on a certain part on the title screen music and goes back to normal volume in later in the music. It repeats.

...is expected. There is a segment of the theme song that plays much lower/softer than the other portion.

Check out the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCs9bZ8VSM8

Notice:
0:01-0:26 louder
0:27-0:43 lower/softer
0:44+ louder again

That is normal and by design. ;)

• Like 1

The odds of both the 7800 and the 2600 Jr exhibiting the same exact issue and being a problem with the consoles are low, albeit not impossible. Nonetheless, it may be some sort of equalization, normalization, surround effect, or/and other enhancement on the TV's volume coming into play that might be overlooked.

Try to find a manual (either hardcopy or online) referencing the brand and model of the display. Look for any sort of audio/advance settings of the television and turn all those features off.

There was an option for multi track audio in the broadcast settings on the TV.It was set to stereo and I turned it to mono. I didn't find it before because it was not in the audio options. It seems to have fixed it.I tested it on the Jr.

• Like 1