IGNORED

PSG2BAS utility to convert music/sounds

nanochess

I just downloaded the intro.rom as attached to your post above. Indeed it is the Inty-B intro by Tarzilla. You must have mixed up files when you reattached updated versions.

I think the register dump from PT3 offers quite much faster updating of the AY chip than any tracker music routine with lots of tables to look up will be. Arnauld's routine is great for its use (and I would love to figure out how to incorporate it with IntyBASIC though it would eat a fair chunk of usable variable space) but not quite as fast from what I can judge comparing songs.

Edited by carlsson

Register dump takes a lot of rom but it is CPU inexpensive and needs a couple of ram pointers/counters.

What I was trying to do is to find a way to exploit repetitive patterns in frequency and on volumes in order to increase the packing of the data without impairment on performance.

Bingo, now you have uploaded the intended file. It reminds me of multispeed SID music, like those which are updated 4-16 times per frame or something similar. Normally a music player is updated once per frame, which limits what you can do with the sound but saves CPU.

Edit: I think I have spotted the problem that both me and DZ-Jay were bitten by. Both of us likely are using the IntyBASIC SDK and jzintv with the ROM path supplied by the SDK. If there is a ROM file in the /sdk/bin/roms map matching the name of the file you intend to load, it will be executed instead of the one in the current path, even if you specify ./intro.rom with leading dot.

In my case:

Search path:
  d:\retro\intellivision\sdk\bin\roms
  d:\emu\jzintv\rom
  d:\retro\intellivision\sdk\bin\..\rom
Edited by carlsson

I just downloaded the intro.rom as attached to your post above. Indeed it is the Inty-B intro by Tarzilla. You must have mixed up files when you reattached updated versions.

I think the register dump from PT3 offers quite much faster updating of the AY chip than any tracker music routine with lots of tables to look up will be. Arnauld's routine is great for its use (and I would love to figure out how to incorporate it with IntyBASIC though it would eat a fair chunk of usable variable space) but not quite as fast from what I can judge comparing songs.

Register dump takes a lot of rom but it is CPU inexpensive and needs a couple of ram pointers/counters.

What I was trying to do is to find a way to exploit repetitive patterns in frequency and on volumes in order to increase the packing of the data without impairment on performance.

It is indeed faster to use a register dump, but in my opinion, the music tracker is not really the bottleneck of engines in most IntyBASIC games. Now, it does take an extensive amount of ROM, which although cheap, has a practical limit in larger games.

Edit: I think I have spotted the problem that both me and DZ-Jay were bitten by. Both of us likely are using the IntyBASIC SDK and jzintv with the ROM path supplied by the SDK. If there is a ROM file in the /sdk/bin/roms map matching the name of the file you intend to load, it will be executed instead of the one in the current path, even if you specify ./intro.rom with leading dot.

In my case:

Search path:
  d:\retro\intellivision\sdk\bin\roms
  d:\emu\jzintv\rom
  d:\retro\intellivision\sdk\bin\..\rom

Oh dear! That is true. Oops sorry! Thanks.

-dZ.

Pt3 by Shiru Otaku - Angel 2 (not a true pt3 player, it is more a log player )

[edit] Now with a small fix in the noise data

Hmmm... now it reduced one of my favourite effects: the filter sweep on the bass. I guess that is done with noise modulation on the tone and reducing the noise lessened the effect. I like that effect because it sounds a lot like the old analog TB-303 bass with a sweeping cut-off on the resonance, like in Acid House music. Good times! :)

-dZ.