IGNORED

Another sad passing... Paul Woakes back in July 15, 2017

kiwilove

This is mentioned in the Ray Kassar passing topic.

Doing a quick Goggle search - it seems it was at age 64 - and he was born in December 1953.

He did brilliant work - particularly in his Encounter game. While at the Sol III Star Trek Convention in Birmingham - I did drop in at the Silica Shop there - and was fortunate to see Paul Woakes demoing his Encounter game there. With my poor memory I can't recall details about Paul Woakes - as I was stunned by his Encounter game running.

Something I wondered about - did he have anything to do with a quick tape loading method for the C-64? Was it Novaload? Maybe this is not connected with Paul Woakes at all?

Harvey

• Like 1

Sad to read the creator of Encounter has passed away. Encounter is one of my all time favorite games.

Other games by Woakes are Mercenary - Escape from Targ and Mercenary - The Second City.

http://www.atarimania.com/screenshots_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-woakes-paul_team_1436_8_G.html

Regards,

Louis BQ

• Like 4

Definitely sad news. I'm sure there's some very interesting Atari computing history that has left with him. I'm sure it could have been a great interview if it made it to the Antic Podcast... Further shows the value of that interview work being done.

Yes - Paul invented Novaload.

Other games by Woakes are Mercenary - Escape from Targ and Mercenary - The Second City.

Now I see the 'Nova' connection... Mercenary was 'Novagen' Software.

Man I spent so many hours playing Mercenary, that was an amazing open world, and an immersive story and open ended 3D world on the 8-bits! And later with the sequel Damocles on the ST also by Novagen, so I presume he was involved with that too...

Very sad news indeed, he was a really good programmer but also an intensely private person.I spent so many hours playing Encounter!, Mercenary and Second City i have lost count. I remember going out the wrong door in the Palyar Colony Craft into open space it took a long way to fall down to earth :)

How many people would out two versions of their game on tape so all Atari owners could play ???

I'm sorry to hear about Paul Woakes passing away, but I'm not certain why Encounter! is the game everyone remembers him for - for me it was his Mercenary/Damocles series of games, which blew me away with their open-world exploration and impressive 3D worlds.

I remember him for a variety of games Encounter! was a great blast and the 16-Bit version and Backlash were also great games. The Mercenary games were classics as well, both the original 8-Bit's and then the 16-Bit versions. I can remember spending hours playing Mercenary, exploring all the different structures and easter eggs. It was ahead of it's time in some gameplay elements.

He was the one person who inspired me to get into 6502 programming and although i never got anywhere near that level he inspired me to try. I never got to meet him sadly i would have loved to had spoken to him.

Looking at the picture can you imagine the game that would have come out if Paul, Jeff & Archer had worked together? it would either be a work of genius or a convoluted mess. :)

Just in case, the picture lists the people in the wrong order, I did mention it but others may just have looked at the picture, Jeff Minter is in the middle, not Paul Woakes...

And yes Mighty Sweevo, I too wondered how great or mess a game could be from all those, too many cooks I'd expect...

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about Paul Woakes passing away, but I'm not certain why Encounter! is the game everyone remembers him for - for me it was his Mercenary/Damocles series of games, which blew me away with their open-world exploration and impressive 3D worlds.

You should have a look at the release date 1983 for the Atari version. The playability is fluid, unique, great, awesome, catchy, driving .... ;)

• Like 2

Paul Woakes passing is one of the first in the Atari world that actually touched me.

Mercenary is one of the games in my top ten A8 games. It was the first game I was so involved with I actually drew a map as I explored; I didn't put that amount of effort into many games!

You can get a remake of Targ, 2nd City, Damocles and Dion Crisis from the mercenary site http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm

• Like 2

Paul was a real auteur. With the possible exception of the 16 bit versions of Encounter!, everything he did was technically dazzling and executed with real wit, flair and attention to detail. Encounter! and Mercenary in particular were games that barely seemed possible on the hardware they were running on - yet they were full of brilliant touches and surprises. The Warp Sequence in Encounter! will always be one of the seminal moments in gaming for me. Thank you Paul for all the beautiful and fun works of art!

Edited by sargie
  • Like 3

He was also an innovator in many senses. Among other things, he was one of the firsts (if not the first, at least on Atari) to release titles with "regional" protection. For instance, the Novagen version of Encounter doesn't work on NTSC computers, it's PAL only, and this is checked on purpose.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...