IGNORED

XEGS Questions

arcade124

I've recently decided to pick up an XEGS, and have one secured. I was wondering, though, I won't be getting the keyboard, are there any 400/800/XL games that would require it to start? I know there's a start button, and that advertising compatibility with these games even on the basic set would've been somewhat of a lie if one couldn't start them with only it, but wanted to check. In particular, the games I plan on getting are Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, Moon Patrol, for now.

Also, does it work with standard 2600 controllers? Like the keyboard, just wanted to check.

It works with std 2600 controllers no pb.

Wrt to the keyboard you're gonna end up wanting it ... if you just think of adding a U1MB to it or a Side2 or even a MyIDE ][ they all work much much better with a keyboard (as a whole lot of new options open up and you need a keyboard to access them).

As for games the one you are listing do not seem to require it as far as memory serves.

If I remember correctly, none of the games you mention require a keyboard. The only exception is the pause feature: you'll need a spacebar to pause these games (pressing the Start button on the console during a game would restart it, not pause it). Fortunately, loose XEGS keyboards are relatively cheap; B&C has several of them on eBay ...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1308875127541?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

... and if needed, you can extend the short cable with a DB15 extension cord like this one (not mine) ...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1622278784301?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

And yes, standard 2600 joysticks and paddles are also compatible with the XEGS.

I did remember one other question: what compatibility does the 5200-style port for the keyboard have with 5200, Famicom, and/or Neo Geo controllers?

None.

Well well now .... none is the right answer with the exception of the NeoGeo controller extension cords, those can safely be used to use the keyboard comfortably at more than the 1 feet the std XEGS keyboard cord allows (yeah it is that short, little helps comes from the fact that the cable is helicoidal/helical and extends some under tension unless you like the keep the tension while typing that is, then it can be a good wrist and forearm exercise)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, was looking into the list of 400/800 games that aren't compatible, but this page: http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-run-only-on-the-400-and-800-models-and-why_68.html mentions a translator with the original OS can fix that. Two questions:

1. How would I go about getting a translator and applying it?

2. Is the Atarimax Maxflash compatible with the XEGS?

Alright, was looking into the list of 400/800 games that aren't compatible, but this page: http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-run-only-on-the-400-and-800-models-and-why_68.html mentions a translator with the original OS can fix that. Two questions:

1. How would I go about getting a translator and applying it?

2. Is the Atarimax Maxflash compatible with the XEGS?

The Translator works, but I have not been able to get it to work with carts. I have the Video 61 Cartridge version of the translator and if you follow his (Lance's) instructions closely, you can trick you machine into playing Demon Attack. Really though, there are very few games that won't work There are a lot of other devices that let you load a different OS and add extra memory. You'll have fun with it. I use an unmodified XEGS as my main Atari 8bit gaming system. I do have an Ultimate cart, that translator cart, an SIOtoSD to use also. You'll the system. Plus, I have a 130XE set up next to it to play Bosconian and Crownland.

Most of the games which require OS-B have been patched to work with later models of Atari computers, including the XEGS. For example, if you want to play Demon Attack, download this version and boot it from disk instead. Fandal's website is a great resource for XL/XE-patched games, and just about everything else for the Atari computers.

• Like 1

The Translator works, but I have not been able to get it to work with carts. I have the Video 61 Cartridge version of the translator and if you follow his (Lance's) instructions closely, you can trick you machine into playing Demon Attack. Really though, there are very few games that won't work There are a lot of other devices that let you load a different OS and add extra memory. You'll have fun with it. I use an unmodified XEGS as my main Atari 8bit gaming system. I do have an Ultimate cart, that translator cart, an SIOtoSD to use also. You'll the system. Plus, I have a 130XE set up next to it to play Bosconian and Crownland.

I know there were two versions of the homebrew Bosconian, since I would want to have it on a flashcart there's the smaller version that'll work on an XEGS, right?

Most of the games which require OS-B have been patched to work with later models of Atari computers, including the XEGS. For example, if you want to play Demon Attack, download this version and boot it from disk instead. Fandal's website is a great resource for XL/XE-patched games, and just about everything else for the Atari computers.

Would I be able to download XEGS versions of Mario Bros. (5200 version that was unofficially ported), Ms. Pac-Man, and the Pac-Man Jr. and Super Pac-Man protos and play them on a flashcart? (namely the Maxflash)