IGNORED

Wii U Gamepad OEM High Capacity battery is sold out

Rick Dangerous

I checked the Nintendo store and the OEM high capacity battery is sold out. They probably won't bother to make more.

Prices have already spiked on ebay into the hundreds. Do we have the next Gamecube component cable here?

Luckily there are a few 3rd party options on Amazon, one as high as 3600 Mha, but being 3rd party who knows what the durability is on those..

Prices have already spiked on ebay into the hundreds. Do we have the next Gamecube component cable here?

In the short term, maybe. But batteries die whether or not they're actually used. Someday in the not too distant future there will not be a single one of those OEM high capacity batteries that still works.

I worry more that at some point in the future, Wii U's will just be completely useless because there will be no batteries for them that still work.

Probably no big loss with the Switch seemingly getting most of what was good on the Wii U, but just for historical reasons I hate the idea of a console that just physically can no longer be used. Because of its design, the Wii U might be the first console like that.

SpaceCadet: I'm not totally convinced of this. Chinese companies continue to make batteries for outdated technology... I bought a battery for my Nook ereader about two months ago, and that model hasn't been manufactured in years.

Even if that specific battery isn't being built, hackers could probably piece together a replacement with existing parts. When there's a will, there's a way. The real question is, will the Wii U be popular enough in ten years to justify it? The machine was just discontinued and I'm already eager to put it behind me.

Oh yeah, I got one of the original prototype Nyko high capacity batteries, which they never sold but sent to people who pre-paid for it. There are probably only a few hundred in existence. That thing is solidly dead.

Luckily there are some good third party options on Amazon and I think there will be for some time--ie decades. Worst case scenario you can plug the gamepad in with a cable, so I don't think the Wii U will become unusable anytime soon.

• Like 1

SpaceCadet: I'm not totally convinced of this. Chinese companies continue to make batteries for outdated technology... I bought a battery for my Nook ereader about two months ago, and that model hasn't been manufactured in years.

Yeah but I guarantee that Nook sold more units than the Wii U :)

One dumb mistake that I made, though, is that I didn't even realize you could play with the gamepad plugged in. I've never tried it, and didn't know you could do it. (I use the Nintendo dock, so my pad is always charged.) So I guess as long as the pad will work without a battery installed (you wouldn't want to keep a dead battery in there), then it doesn't really matter if there are batteries available or not. You'd just lose the wireless capability.

Edited by spacecadet

I always wanted one of these, but never got around to it. Perhaps it's just as well, since my average session with a game is usually less than an hour and I don't think I've ever gotten the low battery warning unless I left it off the charging dock the last time I used it. I liked the concept of an extended life battery more than actually needing one.

My 3DS XL on the other hand sure could use one of these if such a thing existed. In less than three years, my battery life seems to have degraded so badly that I can play a game for an hour on a full charge and have to plug the charging cable in the very next time I play a game (And I don't even have the screen brightness maximized or utilize the 3D feature). Guess I should head over to Nintendo's store and see if they sell the right battery for it.

My original DS from the system's launch on the other hand still gets a lot of use, and only has to be charged two or three times a year (Although the last time I did, the charging light never turned off; So I have a feeling it's starting to feel its age :(). Wish all these systems with rechargeable batteries had such good battery life and longevity.

Edited by Atariboy

I never even knew these were a thing.. got a link to the ebay ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3600mAh-for-Wii-U-Gamepad-Internal-Expended-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-Tool/142476080505?hash=item212c3c7579:g:FLcAAOSw-e1ZkaGE

Once you use a high capacity battery in the gamepad you will NEVER want to go back to the stock one....lol. Have a Nintendo OEM high capacity battery in my black Wii U, so curious to see how this supposedly even higher capacity 3rd party battery stacks up and lasts.

It's ticks me off you can't adjust your gamepad to charge to only 80% in settings, 100% charge every time is a surefire way to kill your battery quicker!

Edited by travistouchdown

Here is the 3rd party high capacity battery being installed and in comparison to the stock battery. It's about the same size as the OEM high capacity battery, but supposedly 600mAh more at 3600mAh total. Given that it was half the cost I assume it won't last as long, but for $13 and with some good reviews on Amazon I took a chance.

I do have the OEM high capacity battery in my black Wii U so I will have to do a time comparison soon...

post-38373-0-90579100-1520819045_thumb.jpg