IGNORED

Creating ATR files from Atari disks?

JohnW

Well I received my Atarimax and hooked up a 810 drive to my PC. I used Prosystem to convert a disk to an ATR file.

Dumb question. Is it possible to use this 810 with Altirra directly as a peripheral?

Not a dumb question. The Atarimax device will let a PC control the 1050, but sadly, not for use with emulators.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to you all !

I have an tiny problem with my lovely device called

APE ProSystem and Atarimax SIO2PC USB Interface. When I transfer from real 1050 drive into my Window 7 Folder. The image is there BUT only has short cut file. So what is the really problem ? I connected my device from keyboard's own USB port to my PC Tower.

post-29380-0-87985300-1524206195.png

Edited by Caterpiggle

Connecting a 1050 directly to the PC and copying an ATR to a disk.

I think this is possible. Haven't tried it out myself yet, but Lotharek recently created new version of SIO2PC/USB called "10502PC". This little device should do exactly what you need - plug the SIO to 1050 drive and USB cable to PC. Only read mode is possible for now, as far as i know.

Check this out: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=157

cheers,

m.

Hello to you all !

I have an tiny problem with my lovely device called

APE ProSystem and Atarimax SIO2PC USB Interface. When I transfer from real 1050 drive into my Window 7 Folder. The image is there BUT only has short cut file. So what is the really problem ? I connected my device from keyboard's own USB port to my PC Tower.

Have you tried searching for files named SAM.ATR?

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-7-Search-File-Contents

• 4 years later...

I don't know if I'm dense, I'm too old, or both, but I have yet to see clear instructions on how to do this.  I'm off and on researching this for maybe 10+ years and it still isn't clear to me.  I think it's something like this:

1) get SIO2PC (or some variant) device / cable

2) get PC software to read Atari 8-bit disks and convert to ATR (does this come with the SIO2PC or is that separate?)

3) Run on emulator and have fun

Is that correct?  Why is it so confusing to me?  I can't seem to find a very simple explanation, like I was trying to explain it to a 10-year old...can someone confirm?

You need software capable of creating an ATR image.  I would use APE or RespeQt.  Once you have created an image of the same size and density as your original disk, you can copy the disk sector by sector or make a dos disk copy as appropriate.  Don't forget that your image must be formatted.  Also, ATRs are only appropriate for disks without copy protection.

I'm assuming that you know how to use APE or RespeQt. They both have pretty intuitive user interfaces. I prefer APE, but that's just my opinion.  BTW, reading the Atari disk is normally done from an Atari drive.

44 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

I don't know if I'm dense, I'm too old, or both, but I have yet to see clear instructions on how to do this.  I'm off and on researching this for maybe 10+ years and it still isn't clear to me.  I think it's something like this:

1) get SIO2PC (or some variant) device / cable

2) get PC software to read Atari 8-bit disks and convert to ATR (does this come with the SIO2PC or is that separate?)

3) Run on emulator and have fun

Is that correct?  Why is it so confusing to me?  I can't seem to find a very simple explanation, like I was trying to explain it to a 10-year old...can someone confirm?

SIO2PC allows your Atari to use a PC as a peripheral (such as a disk drive, or printer, etc..) via a serial port or USB (SIO2PC-USB).

1050-2-PC did the opposite, it allowed a PC to read/write floppies on a 1050.

Most SIO2PC devices/cables allow BOTH modes either by a toggle switch or software control.

There are a few different manufacturers for SIO2PC cables/devices, or you can do it yourself.

On the PC side, there are several applications that support SIO2PC cables. Such as APE, or RespeQT

An emulator on the PC side doesn't really need access to your personal disks unless you want some personal documents/software that isn't already available publicly. 

ATR's are images of Atari floppy disks, similar to how an ISO is an image of a CDROM/DVD (or other things) on the PC side.  From the PC side, an ATR is just a file, from the emulator/Atari POV, an ATR is a floppy disk.  They are one in the same, basically a sector copy of all the data off a floppy tucked into a single file.

6 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

SIO2PC allows your Atari to use a PC as a peripheral (such as a disk drive, or printer, etc..) via a serial port or USB (SIO2PC-USB).

1050-2-PC did the opposite, it allowed a PC to read/write floppies on a 1050.

Most SIO2PC devices/cables allow BOTH modes either by a toggle switch or software control.

There are a few different manufacturers for SIO2PC cables/devices, or you can do it yourself.

On the PC side, there are several applications that support SIO2PC cables. Such as APE, or RespeQT

An emulator on the PC side doesn't really need access to your personal disks unless you want some personal documents/software that isn't already available publicly. 

ATR's are images of Atari floppy disks, similar to how an ISO is an image of a CDROM/DVD (or other things) on the PC side.  From the PC side, an ATR is just a file, from the emulator/Atari POV, an ATR is a floppy disk.  They are one in the same, basically a sector copy of all the data off a floppy tucked into a single file.

Right - I understand what the pieces are (e.g., an ATR file).  I don't understand the HW connections and SW required.

Here's what I want to do (not sure it's possible).  I want to connect my 810 (I don't have a 1050) to a PC, read the 5 1/4" floppy disks on the PC and create ATR files from whatever is on said disks.  I don't want to connect my A8 computer if I can avoid it.

Can that be done?  If so, what do I need to do it?

Edited by rdefabri

12 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Right - I understand what the pieces are (e.g., an ATR file).  I don't understand the HW connections and SW required.

Here's what I want to do (not sure it's possible).  I want to connect my 810 (I don't have a 1050) to a PC, read the 5 1/4" floppy disks on the PC and create ATR files from whatever is on said disks.  I don't want to connect my A8 computer if I can avoid it.

Yes, that can be done -- for non-copy protected disks.

You could buy a sio2pc-USB devices from AtariMax and their APE/PROSystem software to do the imaging.  There are probably cheaper/freer software solutions that other's can chime in with.

I don't think you can do this the way you want to do it, the nearest would be to chain on an SD-MAX or similar to the 810 and run a copy program on the Atari (I know you don't want to use the Atari, but it may be the only way..)

Copy the disk to the SD-MAX or similar and read the SD card on the PC.

13 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

I use APE on the PC for this.

Mount the ATR in APE and use your Atari to format it and copy to it.

Ahhh... you don't want to attach your A8.

Well then I would use my PRoSYS cable to attach my PC to my 1050 (or 810) and use the PRoSys system... another APE product.

• Like 2

Just now, kheller2 said:

Yes, that can be done -- for non-copy protected disks.

You could buy a sio2pc-USB devices from AtariMax and their APE/PROSystem software to do the imaging.  There are probably cheaper/freer software solutions that other's can chime in with.

Yes these would be all non-copyright protected.  As I said, I'm probably just being stupid, but I can't even figure out the Atarimax site.  I think it's the SIO2USB device, and as you said the APE/PROSystem software, but I see an item that "combines" them...but no SKU or item to order.

Just now, bf2k+ said:

I use APE on the PC for this.

Mount the ATR in APE and use your Atari to format it and copy to it.

Ahhh... you don't want to attach your A8.

Well then I would use my PRoSYS cable to attach my PC to my 1050 (or 810) and use the PRoSys system... another APE product.

If I have to connect the A8, I could do it, I just don't want to pull everything out.  Call me lazy, but I have TONS of disks, and I just want to make it simple as I can.  One drive connected directly to the PC (if possible) and that's it.

What's the ProSys cable - that on AtariMax site too?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!

Ah yes, forgot about the prosys cable, the not wanting to use the Atari makes it a bit more complicated (any reason why the not wanting to use a real Atari?)

If I remember rightly, the prosys allows you to connect a drive to APE via the PC...

Edited by Mclaneinc

2 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

If I have to connect the A8, I could do it, I just don't want to pull everything out.  Call me lazy, but I have TONS of disks, and I just want to make it simple as I can.  One drive connected directly to the PC (if possible) and that's it.

What's the ProSys cable - that on AtariMax site too?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!

https://www.atarimax.com/ape/prosys.htm

10 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

7 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

you probably want this: https://www.atarimax.com/order/order.htm USB Kit.

However, before going down that route, does anyone remember if ProSys writes ATRs? or is there a PRO to ATR converter?

If you have access to a Linux box, you can use this: https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#atarisio

If I'm reading the link @Mclaneinc sent over, ProSys writes the ATRs, but you need APE to do the (assuming disk) emulation?

Still kind of confused, although the ProSys link and I'm kind of getting it, but I need something like a BOM...I need to order "one of these" and "one of those".

I THINK I need:

1) APE (which includes ProSys.exe) - $39.99

2) ProSys cable - $59.99

Does that sound right?

Edited by rdefabri

You could also buy a SIO2PC/1050-2-PC interface from Lotharek for about 20 bucks https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=157

Not sure how well the "Kafar" Windows software (for imaging ATRs from a 810/1050/XF551) works but the interface works great both in 1050-2-PC and SIO2PC mode with atarixfer/atariserver on Linux. You can also use it in SIO2PC mode with AspeQt/RespeQt (on Windows/Linux/Mac)

I recently used this interface to image a bunch of disks from my 1050 with MegaSpeedy upgrade with atarixfer, using highspeed SIO, without any issues.

so long,

Hias

25 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

If I'm reading the link @Mclaneinc sent over, ProSys writes the ATRs, but you need APE to do the (assuming disk) emulation?

Still kind of confused, although the ProSys link and I'm kind of getting it, but I need something like a BOM...I need to order "one of these" and "one of those".

I THINK I need:

1) APE (which includes ProSys.exe) - $39.99

2) ProSys cable - $59.99

Does that sound right?

The ProSys Cable is confusing me.

If you are windows user, you probably just want this kit for $105, USB version I'm assuming.

APE for Windows Complete Starter Kit (Compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8)

Kit includes everything you need to get started, with full technical support by phone and e-mail

• APE-to-Atari Interface Cable (RS232 or Native USB Interface).   [This is the SIO2PC, not sure why its called this in the description here]
  • Registered/Enhanced APE/ProSystem Software compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows. 
  • Registered Imagic Software for disk image conversion/compression. 
  • APE for Windows Software CD-ROM with over 600MB of Atari ATR Disk Images. 
  • Free upgrades to all future APE for Windows releases. 

Basically, yes the SIO2PC-USB device and APE/ProSystem software.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

If you are windows user, you probably just want this kit for $105, USB version I'm assuming.

APE for Windows Complete Starter Kit (Compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8)

Kit includes everything you need to get started, with full technical support by phone and e-mail

• APE-to-Atari Interface Cable (RS232 or Native USB Interface).   [This is the SIO2PC, not sure why its called this in the description here]
  • Registered/Enhanced APE/ProSystem Software compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows. 

Ok - that makes some sense to me (although I saw the Imagic and wasn't sure what that was).  I am a Windows user, and from perusing the site, this seems to be accurate.  Thanks for clarifying!  I read the FAQ, and I see this:

Method #2: (Using the DOS ProSystem and a real Atari disk drive)

1. Load the ProSystem program on the PC and attach your ProSystem interface. The interface should attach to the PC's serial port on one end, and an Atari disk drive on the other.
  2. Configure the Atari disk drive as drive 1, this is VERY important.
  3. Turn on the Atari disk drive and insert the disk you wish to image.
  4. To create a ATR image of an normal diskette, press 'A' on the PC. To create a PRO image of a publishers original diskette, press 'P' on the PC.
  5. Return to step 3 to image more disks.

Method #3: (Using ProSystem'98 and a real Atari disk drive)

1. Load the ProSystem program on the PC and attach your ProSystem interface. The interface should attach to the PC's serial port on one end, and an Atari disk drive on the other.
  2. With the ProSystem'98 software you may attach up to 4 disk drives at once. Each drive must have a unique drive ID, but need not start at drive 1.
  3. Turn on the Atari disk drive(s) and insert the disk(s) you wish to image. If using more than one drive, insert ALL the disks you wish to image.
  4. To create ATR images, use the 'Create ATR image(s) from Real Disks' menu option. To create PRO images from publishers original diskettes, use the 'Create PRO Image from Real Disks' menu option.
  5. Return to step 3 to image more disks.

Since I am a Windows user, I think Method #3 is what I'm looking for.  Still confusing as it says "serial" and I believe this can also be "USB" (as you noted).

Edited by rdefabri

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

This kit doesn't include the ProSys cable which is needed if you want to use the system without an Atari attached.  In the above kit, the Prosys software will work with the regular Atarimax interface but you must have the Atari connected.

2 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

This kit doesn't include the ProSys cable which is needed if you want to use the system without an Atari attached.  In the above kit, the Prosys software will work with the regular Atarimax interface but you must have the Atari connected.

Incorrect.

"

The Atarimax Universal SIO2PC/ProSystem interface is a redesign of the classic Atari SIO2PC/APE and ProSystem interfaces, combining them into a single multi-function product. 

The new design is completely auto-sensing, auto-switching and jumperless. When ProSystem style software is used, the interface switches itself automatically to ProSystem mode for controlling Atari disk drives."

I would email AtariMax just to confirm that the device that comes with the kit is the universal one.