IGNORED

How do I check the Weather on my Atari?

Xebec

Try CTRL-J instead of Carriage Return. If prompted take a guess at city code (I used BOS for Boston). What you type won't echo. Don't forget to use CTRL-J

This works with each of my NodeMCU based wifi modems. One has Strikelink firmware and one has Zimodem firmware.

-SteveS

Sorry, I don't currently have a means to get screenshots from my real Ataris.

I was having the same issue with Bob Term and can confirm that ctrl-J works for it as well. I was able to enter a city code and get my local forecast (a bit hard to read since it clearly isn't meant for 40 column displays but works well enough). Here is a list of the 3-letter city codes: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/NWS_WFO_ID.txt

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I guess this falls under silly Atari and linux tricks.

post-9154-0-94552300-1528490017_thumb.png

I created a simple telnet server on my Raspberry Pi like this:

socat -s -v TCP-LISTEN:4444,fork exec:"curl wttr.in/Boston?0?n?q" &

"musicbox" is the hostname of my Raspberry Pi. I'm using the tiny Musicbox distro and never bothered to change the hostname.

"4444" is just an arbitrary port number.

ICE-T's EOL handling is set to "LF only". I think 8 bit charset is at "IBM PC" though some of the characters used in www.wttr.in's display aren't available on the Atari.

• Like 3

Hello Ivo

Nah. It doesn't say you have to be ON the Atari to check the weather, it says check the weather ON the Atari. Easiest way: Put the Atari outside for about minute, then take it back inside:

- If the Atari is warm, it's sunny

- If it's cold, it's cold outside

- If it's freezing cold, it''s freezing cold outside

- If it's wet it's raining

- If there's snow on it, it's freezing

- If you can't see anything, let alone the Atari, it's foggy

- If you can't find it anymore, it's fairly windy. Or you live in a neighborhood where people take stuff without asking.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

telnet://rainmaker.wunderground.com

don't know if it still works but it used to

Try CTRL-J instead of Carriage Return. If prompted take a guess at city code (I used BOS for Boston). What you type won't echo. Don't forget to use CTRL-J

Heh. Pointless fun. For what it's worth, you can set your terminal software to Local Echo: On and at least see what you type, though you still need a CTRL-J at the end of any keyboard input.

(My 1088XEL running ICE-T connected to the 'net via a vintage P:R:Connection, a CX-87 Terminal cable, a straight-through DB25 gender changer, a Lantronix MSS100 gateway box, then an Ethernet cable to a WiFi extender I've got plugged in near all my vintage stuff.

post-30400-0-00294400-1529451148_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-69174800-1529451162_thumb.jpg

So, an awful lot of work and finagling when I can just open the door and see it's pretty effing hot and uncomfortable out there. :P

• Like 3