IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 4: JumpMan Jr

Ok I've had 20 plus goes and not got anywhere with level 5 so I've found a Jumpman Jr video playthrough from Tom Votava who is clearly a Jumpman Master judging by the insane speed he is playing at :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where is the fun in making a level so difficult compared to the first 4 which are enjoyable :twisted:

• Like 1

Even after studying the video I only just scraped through to screen 6 again 12,625 !

I'd offer a hint for the 3rd level and that is if you want to stay on the purple moving platforms and not be killed by falling off the vertical lift picking you up and then you fall off etc to jump across over the lift - you jump at the same speed as the moving platform so can land back on it.

Ok I've had 20 plus goes and not got anywhere with level 5 so I've found a Jumpman Jr video playthrough from Tom Votava who is clearly a Jumpman Master judging by the insane speed he is playing at :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where is the fun in making a level so difficult compared to the first 4 which are enjoyable :twisted:

That's an impressive run. I do Figurit's Revenge a little differently. I save that killer one in the middle bottom level for last, just so I don't have to time my jump and risk dying. I've mapped out the letter locations on Spellbound in order to get the full 3K bonus. Blackout is a pain because of the random placement of bombs.

Keep at it, TRBB...the levels are fun, after Figurit's Revenge. Not easy...but fun. :)

• Like 1

First Table

Jumpman Jr (speed 3, then 2, then 1)

1st RedThunder 24,750 12pts (Speed 2 reached level 2)
2nd Deteacher 19,425 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 12,625 10pts
4th McKong 10,300 9pts
5th ballyalley 6,425 8pts
6th carlsson 6,375 7pts
7th jblenkle 4,100 6pts

Bonus

Other levels completed from the new screens see 1st post

RedThunder: some points!

Some interesting choices in the Round 5 POLL :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hooray! Another game I have on cart, so I can kick back in the game room with real hardware.

This is actually the first time I've EVER passed Figurit's Revenge, and I'm not sure I can remember how I did it. Blew most of my lives and got knocked out pretty quickly on Walls.

EDIT: This was speed 4 - sorry, I just noticed that we are playing on speed 3 and above. Will try again.

post-6856-0-48780900-1520801853_thumb.jpg

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

Hooray! Another game I have on cart, so I can kick back in the game room with real hardware.

This is actually the first time I've EVER passed Figurit's Revenge, and I'm not sure I can remember how I did it. Blew most of my lives and got knocked out pretty quickly on Walls.

EDIT: This was speed 4 - sorry, I just noticed that we are playing on speed 3 and above. Will try again.

If people want to play on speed 3 or 4 that is ok. :thumbsup:

After another bunch of goes I got to level 6 with 2 lives and had most of it cleared 13,275 :)

I'm still not convinced about the route on figurits :ponder: you can get all the jump across ones first (the ones half way up the ladder), jump to the right from the left of the platforms and keep jump held to jump off each rope. Alternatively stand under the platform and jump up to the one on the right. From here I'm not sure what is best - I've been going down to the bottom right and risk getting the two if you jump and collect with good timing to avoid the hole, then the top then back for the two bottom left. Will study matey's video again :)

• Like 1

@ttrb

This is the pattern I try to follow on Figurits Revenge. Sometimes a player kill can be fortuitous when he bounces down and collects a pill.

However, sketch attached.Might help a bit...or hinder ;)

NOTE: Just played it again..I reckon you could grab 9 ( just after 6) removes the bigger risk of a large just at the double ladders after 7)

post-48102-0-94818900-1520864993_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 2

Holy mother of pearl RT :-o ok will try this tonight session :D I'm probably slow but I have just realised you can probably jump off a single height platform to get back down 1 row (that platform under the ladder #10 on your diagram) I was then going back up the rope and right across to the far right ladders!

Most of my deaths are not from the route but from catching myself and falling off

:mad:

Some interesting choices in the Round 5 POLL :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is the pattern I try to follow on Figurits Revenge.

Thanks for that map layout; it looks very helpful. I'll be printing it out. Now I just have to pass the damn hellstones level to reach "Revenge."

Sometimes a player kill can be fortuitous when he bounces down and collects a pill.

I used to play Jumpman Junior on the Coleco Adam back in about 1984 with my friend. He was very good; I was, uh, terrible. He would help me finish levels by telling me where to jump off ledges to collect bombs when I was having a hard time finishing a level. He never lost lives and could play the game until he decided to stop. He was the person who inspired me to buy Jumpman for my Commodore 64.

Adam

• Like 1

Replies to my hints:

I'd offer a hint for the 3rd level and that is if you want to stay on the purple moving platforms and not be killed by falling off the vertical lift picking you up and then you fall off etc to jump across over the lift - you jump at the same speed as the moving platform so can land back on it.

This works nicely, I'm not losing any men now at all here.

I'm still not convinced about the route on figurits :ponder: you can get all the jump across ones first (the ones half way up the ladder), jump to the right from the left of the platforms and keep jump held to jump off each rope. Alternatively stand under the platform and jump up to the one on the right. From here I'm not sure what is best - I've been going down to the bottom right and risk getting the two if you jump and collect with good timing to avoid the hole, then the top then back for the two bottom left. Will study matey's video again :)

Leaving the bottom one that has the big gap until last is working better for me. You can jump back to the ladder stump from the one in the air under the ladder on the top section. It's much safer jumping from R to L to get the one that has the disappearing platform on the top middle as you then grab onto the rope and go back up (you can jump left from the right top ladder to the plaftorm first)

post-19705-0-60684700-1521059661.jpg

18,275 was 1 bomb from completing Spellbound :)

• Like 2

Latest Table

Jumpman Jr (speed 3, then 2, then 1)
1st Deteacher 36,325 12pts *
2nd RedThunder 24,750 11pts *

3rd therealbountybob 18,275 10pts
4th graywest 16,275 9pts
5th ballyalley 10,575 8pts
6th McKong 10,300 7pts
7th carlsson 6,375 6pts
8th jblenkle 4,100 5pts
* Speed 3 completed

Speed 2
1st RedThunder 12,250

Bonus

Other levels completed from the new screens see 1st post and RT's level on post #20

New levels created will get 2pts each

RedThunder: some points!

Still some interesting choices in the Round 5 POLL :thumbsup:

I'm going to have a peek at a couple of these before I vote :)

• Like 1

Replies to my hints:

This works nicely, I'm not losing any men now at all here.

Leaving the bottom one that has the big gap until last is working better for me. You can jump back to the ladder stump from the one in the air under the ladder on the top section. It's much safer jumping from R to L to get the one that has the disappearing platform on the top middle as you then grab onto the rope and go back up (you can jump left from the right top ladder to the plaftorm first)

attachicon.gifJJr 18275.jpg

18,275 was 1 bomb from completing Spellbound :)

You might be right. I'll revisit the Figurits and try for a video :grin:

But, 5 might become 6. Looks like there are many ways to complete this one.

• Like 1

Man! I tried speed 2...too fast for me right now. My Speed 3 score might just have to stand on it's own. We'll see, though.

We're probably getting into a bit of a mess on this round!

I suspect Speed 2 on NTSC is way faster than on PAL (depending on how it's programmed)?

(for future we could say NTSC play speeds 4 and 3 and PAL onj 2 and 3 perhaps)

For this round the table will be on Speed 3 (or 4+ if anyone finds it too hard, i'm wondering if the level time bonuses vary) - you can replay for better scores etc if you complete it.. If RT or anyone wants to continue to play speed 2 for a bonus point or two that is ok :)

p.s. RT should have added on Figurits you can fall onto the last bomb and get it (handy for that 2nd one on the bottom or under the ladder - perhaps this can be used elsewhere :ponder: . Looking forward to the optimal route video to rival that Tom guy :thumbsup: