IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

Received my TL866, never used an EPROM programmer until yesterday. But, it was very easy. Erased the EPROM with the eraser. Identified the ERPOM, verified the EPROM reported "FF"'s for all addresses, took the TIP-dsr file and loaded it up in the MiniPro software and wrote the code to the EPROM.

Haven't popped it into the TIPI yet, I'll wait for a bigger upgrade. But, wanted to make sure I knew how to do it so I'm ready to go when it's time. I'm sure I'll be able to use it for my classic arcade games at some point.

Thanks to this thread, I'm good to go. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My TL866CS has more than paid for itself in three years of use - at last count I have about two dozen adapters I've acquired over the years.

So ..., I pried open my piggy bank to buy just the new base TL866II+ model and cables, hoping all the money I've put into collecting every CS adapter would not be wasted.

I can happily report that the Windows installer also keeps both devices in separate paths as well as distinguishing between the two different USB drivers.

It appears the II+ recognizes the several common adapters I use with my older CS unit (just grabbed a few random/workhorse ones out of my collection). I'll let you know if I find one that doesn't work.

Also very stoked with the new SPI port on the II+ too - versatility is good for future projects!

Still, I think I'll be keeping my older CS unit for those times that I need the 21 volts (vs. 18 volts max) programming ability for older chips. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Fetzner suggested that, since there is no obvious reason for the version update from 6.80 to 6.81, there might be some 'security" code in Vn 6.82. It is indeed possible since the version change occurred simultaneously with the piracy announcement. It is likely that the latest version (and subsequent versions) will include code that is either hostile or destructive to "cloned" copies of the TL866. I can't blame the manufacturer. Check the pictures to make sure you have the genuine article!

Edited by atrax27407

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got mine in the mail today and tried getting 8.02.. and winderz defender says "no"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?name=Trojan%3aScript%2fCloxer.A!cl&threatid=2147725998

Are you using the Windows 10 version, I just downloaded with Windows 7 and there was no issues. Just updated the definitions yesterday morning.