IGNORED

Playground download- virus detected?

DuaneAL

So, I am running Opera, I have turned off my virus protection and firewall and shutdown Malwarebytes. I don't see any virus protection active anywhere. I'm still getting "virus detected". I'm not sure what program is throwing the message now. Windows defender is off. Any ideas?

Just tried in microsoft edge. Mcafee adviser says "woah, that download is dangerous" It says the domain aa-ti994a.oratronik.de. It gave me the option to download and I checked it with windows defender. It found no threats. i guess I'll gn on from here.

Thanks for the help!

One thing that seriously annoyed me was that Googlemail rejects my mails if they contain a JAR file. In that special case, I wanted to mail someone a new release of TIImageTool and thought that I could simply add the JAR file as an attachment. The receiver's address is under googlemail.

Shortly after sending, I got the reply that my mail was rejected due to dangerous contents. OK, the JAR file. I did not know that all JAR files are dangerous, regardless of their implementation.

Next try: Send tiimagetool.zip as attachment.

Same result. Googlemail found the tiimagetool.jar in the ZIP file and again rejected my mail. :mad: :mad:

My only chance was to upload tiimagetool.zip to my server and tell the recipient to download it.

"Annoyed" is a decent way of expressing how I feel about that.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

FYI, here is a list of what Google won't handle (which is a lot of stuff):

To protect you against potential viruses and harmful software, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:

• Certain file types (listed below), including their compressed form (like .gz or .bz2 files) or when found within archives (like .zip or .tgz files)
  • Documents with malicious macros
  • Password protected archives whose content is an archive

Note: If you try to attach a document that is too large, your message won't send. Learn more about attachments and file size limits.

File types you can't include as attachments

.ADE, .ADP, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .DLL, .DMG, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JS, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSI, .MSP, .MST, .NSH .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH

One thing that seriously annoyed me was that Googlemail rejects my mails if they contain a JAR file. In that special case, I wanted to mail someone a new release of TIImageTool and thought that I could simply add the JAR file as an attachment. The receiver's address is under googlemail.

Shortly after sending, I got the reply that my mail was rejected due to dangerous contents. OK, the JAR file. I did not know that all JAR files are dangerous, regardless of their implementation.

Next try: Send tiimagetool.zip as attachment.

Same result. Googlemail found the tiimagetool.jar in the ZIP file and again rejected my mail. :mad: :mad:

My only chance was to upload tiimagetool.zip to my server and tell the recipient to download it.

"Annoyed" is a decent way of expressing how I feel about that.

Blocking JAR files is pretty standard with all email. My job is in tech support and when trying to email them, we either have to rename the file to have a .txt extension (although some email programs can still detect that it's a jar) or simply put it on Google Drive and send a link to the file. Of course, what you did, zipping and hosting it on a website, will work too!

Most antivirus engines will alert on download attempts of software from little-used sites. And, let’s face it, our software qualifies as “little-used” by any AV metric. ;)

...lee

Thanks, Lee! You are probably right since the playground download link takes you off Atariage to a German site. I have downloaded several other things from here that haven't flagged, so I think the this domain is less "little used" than the other one! :)

we either have to rename the file to have a .txt extension (although some email programs can still detect that it's a jar) [...] Of course, what you did, zipping and hosting it on a website, will work too!

This is just what I am afraid of in future - mail services deeply analyzing the contents and deliberately blocking messages or content. You just need to unzip the JAR file to find out that it contains Java classes, and then there is not even a need to check for file name extension. My software is not pursuing any bad intentions, and yet I am blocked. Lucky me that I have an own server and Internet domain so that I can offer a download.

Although I can configure my mail server to accept every message (it does, and my spamassassin reliably filters the trash), and my web server to offer anything for download, I'm still not on the safe side. For instance, I cannot send mails to Chris (Shift838) on his AT&T address because it seemingly blocks the whole address range of my hoster, maybe because of spammers. I don't know whether this is still the case, but some years ago this used to be a problem. To be precise, 5 years ago already ...

How long will it take until we get whitelisting?