IGNORED

The Oregon Trail handheld game!

Target has been carrying The Oregon Trail card game for a while, but today I was surprised when I decided to browse through the toy aisle. Right beside the card game I found that Target is now selling a full handheld version of The Oregon Trail as a Target exclusive. It's $24.99, so I guess not cheap, but it's a full color LCD game that looks kinda like something Mattel would have tired making back in the day. Chunky little handheld game indeed with nice graphics that are close to the Apple II version, but stepped up a tiny bit. This game is made by Basic Fun/The Bridge Direct, so there are some extra sound effects thrown in and some the music is different. Still, I like it and the fact you can save a game in progress on it.

post-8339-0-84819800-1520715257.jpg

post-8339-0-29637000-1520715332.jpg

post-8339-0-42736800-1520715402.jpg

I noticed Target has started to sell 'Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego?' as a card game now. Might a handheld of that be next?

• Like 2

Okay, I just busted it out, and it's incredible to play a handheld with such a big adventure in it. Heck, there's even a save feature.

Handhelds have leaned toward action games for far too long--which is the genre they're probably the least able to handle.

I hope this is just the first in a long line of advanced, but slower moving handheld games.

A retro-styled 3d dungeon rpg, or economic management sim, would be especially welcome.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I only found the thread on accident from google, I have zero use for the int thread so I forgot it was there after posting the times I did.

I see no fault in that thread being merged and moved into this one if the site can allow for it.

I've had it since people started realizing Target had them hiding in the back as I asked for one and it was brought out. Officially released on the 3rd, I got it I think on the 1st. Some are feeling it's the Apple version tweaked, others think it is DOS, maybe it's a merge of both. This is the same group that does the LCD only versions at Walmart of some of those atari etc arcade cabinets for $20ea. The device is quite well made, plays just as cruel as the original so you'll have multiple failed runs from death from dysentery, starvation or exposure. It was good of them to be wise enough to set up a chip in there to save your progress or it would be a nightmare and not worth bothering with.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed missing from this version was the grave stone you always pass in the Apple II version. Well, I found out that if you die, you get to check out your own grave stone on the next time through. Doesn't matter if you shut the game off between rounds and it seems to save the grave stone at the exact spot you died the previous time. Talk about wicked and rubbing your nose in it! :D

This is nuts. I just went to ebay. There are only a few but they are about 50 bucks each. Just went to target website and its 24.99 and 27.43 with tax. Not even oyt of stock. I clicked add to cart just to test and it added. Maybe if it was sold out like nes or snes classic but it s not. How weird.

It's becuase it got coverage 'round the net before most stores had it out to purchase. I've been eyeing out for it for a couple weeks now, even had a clerk check the back with the brickseek info- they couldn't find it. I did pick one up on Saturday (they put them in the board game section, not with the other handhelds, for some reason.) I imagine now that the stock's getting out, those Ebay prices could drop.

I also think the screen is too small, but it's quite clear & easy to read despite the size. So it's not too bad.

Okay, I just busted it out, and it's incredible to play a handheld with such a big adventure in it. Heck, there's even a save feature.

Handhelds have leaned toward action games for far too long--which is the genre they're probably the least able to handle.

I hope this is just the first in a long line of advanced, but slower moving handheld games.

A retro-styled 3d dungeon rpg, or economic management sim, would be especially welcome.

Have you tried dosbox for android. The touchscreen interface isn't good for action games but might be just fine for these types of games.

This is nuts. I just went to ebay. There are only a few but they are about 50 bucks each. Just went to target website and its 24.99 and 27.43 with tax. Not even out of stock. I clicked add to cart just to test and it added. Maybe if it was sold out like nes or snes classic but it s not. How weird.

Um, not everybody has a Target store close at hand, sometimes it is necessary (or, at least, easier) to buy stuff on the secondary market.

The nearest Target store to where I live, for example, is some 270 miles -- and an International Border -- away. Given that it is located in a rather small town, there is no guarantee that the store would even have any in stock.

Edited by jhd

Um, not everybody has a Target store close at hand, sometimes it is necessary (or, at least, easier) to buy stuff on the secondary market.

The nearest Target store to where I live, for example, is some 270 miles -- and an International Border -- away. Given that it is located in a rather small town, there is no guarantee that the store would even have any in stock.

Target has an online store and they ship internationally.
  • Like 1