IGNORED

Favorite plug and plays

maxdrive

I was wondering what are some of your favorite plug and play systems that you own. I know the NES and SNES classics will be on a lot of lists what others do you find your self playing two of mine I love is the Commodore 64 plug and play from mammoth games. And my Atari 2600 paddle one just wish mine was the two player one.

I got a used C64DTV for $10 at a neighbor's yard sale! My son likes it but he's upset he can't play as many games as the old C64/1541. I may have to get another and mod it to attach the (1541 III) SD card.

We also have Atari Flashback Portal 2017 which is really cool. I highly recommend it for anyone who appreciates the style of the Atari 2600.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I got a used C64DTV for $10 at a neighbor's yard sale! My son likes it but he's upset he can't play as many games as the old C64/1541. I may have to get another and mod it to attach the (1541 III) SD card.

We also have Atari Flashback Portal 2017 which is really cool. I highly recommend it for anyone who appreciates the style of the Atari 2600.

Heck if you got the skill the best part of the c64 is unlike other plug and plays it's not nes on a chip it is for all purposes a Commodore 64 you can even put in a keyboard disk drive and cassette drive I think even the printer.

Heck if you got the skill the best part of the c64 is unlike other plug and plays it's not nes on a chip it is for all purposes a Commodore 64 you can even put in a keyboard disk drive and cassette drive I think even the printer.

Hehe already have 2 full working C64 from the 80's. I just like having the C64DTV in the living room. My wife would never let me drag in a real C64 and real a real 1541 into the living room.

I have a Namco Ms. Pac-Man plug and play that I particularly enjoy. Great joystick and construction, great game line up. Has my favorite version of Pole Position to play because of the twist top joystick that makes controlling it fantastic. Also a great unit to play the underappreciated Mappy on.

There are two versions of this plug and play, one has game key compatibility the other (which I have) does not.

I find that Jakks/Namco kind of learned lessons over time because for the last few years now they've not updated but maintained selling that oversized 8bit looking blocky Pac-Man head shape controller thing and it's fantastic. The games all appear and sound right, solid selection, back pops off to store A/V cable so no mess, plus the system saves high scores.

Another if it counts, being that it's actually a handheld but has with it an mono to A/V cable on it because they equally intended TV use the Blaze/ATGames(I know) Sega Game Gear/SMS handheld closed system called the Arcade Gamer Portable. Unlike their 16bit decade long run of travesties, that system which runs on a couple AAAs is fantastic. Clean clear screen, decent view angle, good enough speaker on it, solid audio jack, controls, visuals, even the audio are correct to the old hardware so that it's fun, and not offensive fun around problems.

This sega retro site wiki layout is a fantastic basic break down on it and the fantastic list of 30 titles it has: https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable

Ooh, that's a cool idea. The C64DTV came out before flash cards were everywhere. Do you know of a how-to for this?

I find that Jakks/Namco kind of learned lessons over time because for the last few years now they've not updated but maintained selling that oversized 8bit looking blocky Pac-Man head shape controller thing and it's fantastic. The games all appear and sound right, solid selection, back pops off to store A/V cable so no mess, plus the system saves high scores.

I liked the blue one that was shaped like a Ms. Pac-Man arcade machine, with the twisty stick for Pole Position. Is the Pac-Man controller as difficult/uncomfortable to hold as it looks?

I liked the blue one that was shaped like a Ms. Pac-Man arcade machine, with the twisty stick for Pole Position. Is the Pac-Man controller as difficult/uncomfortable to hold as it looks?

Never gave me a problem. I don't really try and hold it like a controller though. I just set it in my lap or something and it responds and feels much like some original arcade stick and buttons enough. The Ms Pac Man I have one, well had, just sold it on ebay and it's paid for.

• Like 1

I have a Namco Ms. Pac-Man plug and play that I particularly enjoy. Great joystick and construction, great game line up. Has my favorite version of Pole Position to play because of the twist top joystick that makes controlling it fantastic. Also a great unit to play the underappreciated Mappy on.

There are two versions of this plug and play, one has game key compatibility the other (which I have) does not.

I'm picking this too... the conversions are really quite solid, and if the picture were sharper it would be a fine stand-in for a real arcade cabinet. I also had a pinball plug 'n play that was pretty entertaining.

The plug 'n plays I didn't like include the Radica Genesis (broke down quickly), the Namco arcade PnP with Bosconian on it (a four way stick? Really?), Frogger (dull, obviously running on NES hardware), and this yellow piece of crap that supposedly played 2600 games but was most likely an NES on a chip. I'd need to hack the C64 one to get any mileage out of it.

Oh yeah, we can't forget the Konami gamepad that was dependent on your computer! Konami was all like, "whoopsie, we're not supporting this anymore!" so by the time I had a computer powerful enough to use it, it was useless. Actually, you know what? That's my choice for the worst PnP... at least the other ones can still be used!

I'm picking this too... the conversions are really quite solid, and if the picture were sharper it would be a fine stand-in for a real arcade cabinet. I also had a pinball plug 'n play that was pretty entertaining.

The plug 'n plays I didn't like include the Radica Genesis (broke down quickly), the Namco arcade PnP with Bosconian on it (a four way stick? Really?), Frogger (dull, obviously running on NES hardware), and this yellow piece of crap that supposedly played 2600 games but was most likely an NES on a chip. I'd need to hack the C64 one to get any mileage out of it.

Oh yeah, we can't forget the Konami gamepad that was dependent on your computer! Konami was all like, "whoopsie, we're not supporting this anymore!" so by the time I had a computer powerful enough to use it, it was useless. Actually, you know what? That's my choice for the worst PnP... at least the other ones can still be used!

What thing did Konami put out requiring a computer? That's stupid.

That pinball unit, are you talking about the one that kind of looks like a modern controller with the little red ball pinball plunger in the center of the unit between the 2 off shoot handles for comfort holding it? I found one of those last year for like $5 at a flea market, it's surprisingly very very good. Again like Ms Pacman as you said, if the visuals were just a bit clearer, it would be a hell of a stand in. Another worth noting, and equally dumb I guess along Konami being wonky about stuff, Capcom and Jakks made a device too then ignorantly didn't sell it in the states, just in British territories/countries. It has GnG, Commando, and 1942 on it and they run in excellent form, all 3 are arcade releases, and it was made as a magi-key and Mega Man arcade was due but for all I can discover (which as it's scarce as is with the sold unit) never made it to production.

• Like 1

Ooh, that's a cool idea. The C64DTV came out before flash cards were everywhere. Do you know of a how-to for this?

This guy did the hack though he sawed off the plastic for the batteries. Not sure what I plan to do but need another in the event I mess up the mod. The Svideo mod would be nice also as the picture is well a little rough with composite.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/c64dtv.html

dtv_4684.jpg

dtv_4685.jpg

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

It's this horrid thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Konami-Live-Online-Game-Controller-Collection/dp/B000JPFNVM

From what I can tell, the system seems to use games that are very similar to the ones released for the Xbox 360 over ten years ago. Konami closed the server holding the games in the 2010s, so if you didn't get them on your computer before the purge, you won't be getting them now.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell, the system seems to use games that are very similar to the ones released for the Xbox 360 over ten years ago. Konami closed the server holding the games in the 2010s, so if you didn't get them on your computer before the purge, you won't be getting them now.

It's even worse than that... the damn thing had to check in with the servers before you could play the game. So even those of us who did download the games back then and have our old computers STILL can't play the games! What a total POS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would something with a set of built in games, but with the ability to add far more legit games from an old console work for a favorite plug n play since it came with a phone jack to a/v cord on it for TV play?

I've got that FC Mobile 88, and it has 88 truly awful experiences on it, but I leave a Super Games 500in1 cart in it and it's got a long list of FC/NES gems on it.

Really liked the Pacman and Ms Pacman ones from Jakks. The Ms Pacman had twist control for Pole Position which was icing on the cake. Battery life wasn't great though.

Also thought the Atari Paddle game unit from Jakks was great. I had the 2 player one. It's a pity they didn't make it possible to plug in 2 x 2 player units for 4 player Warlords though.

I really enjoyed them but got rid of them a while back. Kind of regret it now - esp. the paddle game unit.

Edited by davyK