IGNORED

Favorite plug and plays

maxdrive

I remembered another solid one, if you're into golf at least, the 2nd revision (gold vs blue stickering) of Golden Tee Golf. That revised one has a few courses (not just 1), practice range, 4 players (not just one), saves scores too. The visuals are pretty low/basic like the early arcade versions but the play is solid as it has a good trackball and button setup for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Also jakks plug and plays were to the 2000s that tiger handhelds were to the 90s

And here we are in the late 2010s where kids as young as 2 are playing on tablets with games like roblox and Minecraft clones... damn weve come a long way, what will the 2020s and beyond bring?

Years from now when all these kids are grown are they going to be nostalgic for old mobile devices that still have downloads of the games they played as kids and buying them on eBay? lol... Safe to say mobile and digital gaming will be a big part of the future.

Anyways sorry for changing the subject so yeah back to plug and plays, anyone remember the TV boy, the first plug and play ?

Who knows, but the jakks inspired stuff is still out there, but they're staying on the market far longer (years instead of months) because the quality (though still RCA jacks) hit a high note where they're welcome like that 3 years now on the market Pac-Man bodied controller with a tuck away cord. Nearly 1:1 quality to the set of arcade games it has, solid menu, saves all your scores too. Great device and been new on the shelf for $20 for a long time and they move. That snowballed into the MyArcade/Bridge Direct one shot mini cabs of the last 18 months.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Agreed. The C64 PnP joystick was really slick. Also, I really like the Intellivision FB, too. Loved the fact the controllers were (more or less) spot on to the original. I wish I still had it as it was pretty cool.

The C64 is pretty special. I like the Intellivision Flashback a lot, too.

Am I missing something. Just got the Pac-Man connect and play with 12 games:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226948-ban-dai-pac-man-plug-n-play-system/

Maybe it's a repacking of the Pac-Man 256 plug and play.

Anyways, there's tons of used ones out there, so why pay full price.

I got mine for $10, in perfect condition.

I have avoided plug and play like the plague, and wouldn't be caught dead with one,

preferring the console ports and MAME.

Anyways, after watching youtube videos and reviews, i was curious about the pac-man 256

game, which puts you one screen before the killscreen.

They looked like arcade versions, so I thought why not. It's cheap.

I didn't like the way the controller looked, and the joystick is way too short.

Anyways, I LOVE IT. It is actually better than many of the actual Namco collections on every

portable and home console version.

I don't care if Ms Pac Man isn't on there, because that's a licensing issue, and is usually separate

most of the times anyway. (Jr Pac man is out, because that's a different licensing too).

It's interesting to see Pac Man Plus for the first time ever on these compilations, because its

never on the home version either.

I've noticed glitches, and small issues with almost every game on here, but i don't care,

because it's reformatting the score and men.

The gameplay is nearly 100% accurate:

===============================================

1 pac-man the patterns work, the 9th key patterns work

2 pac-man 256, the killscreen patterns work

3 galaga, the NO SHOOT BUG GLITCH WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have removed and fixed this

on every single official release they had put out for consoles.

i just hit 1,000,000 and the score flipped back to 0.

the game only shows 5 men, but it buffers when you have more men.

i don't know what will happen after level 255, but i will find out

the bonus points for the bonus waves are messed up, you can only get 2000 points max,

instead of the 3000 on the higher ones, i didn't check to see if the score sprite is

wrong, and it just adds up.

the left hand missile shot with a dual ship is messed it, it shoots slanted shot (sprite incorrect),

instead of a vertical shot, doesn't affect gameplay, but looks weird.

4 dig dug has the top cropped off, and does a micro-scroll to show almost all of the screen when playing.

it's weird to watch though.

5 all the dig dug patterns work, haven't figured out if it has the slow screens after level 131 yet,

because this is the 5 men only version. [1 extra at 20k, and 1 at 60k, so it takes awhile to get

to a million]. this is the japanese version, the american atari version defaults to extras every

40k, and doesn't have a killscreen, it just keeps getting faster.

there is glitch in the level counter, it lost track of some, and you can't see the monsters when they

are the top, and you are at the bottom

6 all the other games seem to play well, bosconian, rally-x mappy, galaxian, xevious, pac n pal etc etc

7 super pac-man, all the patterns work, timing is perfect, etc.

the joystick is very responsive, and i played with it flat on a surface, and it responds amazingly well.

i thought it would suck, but i was wrong.

i've been able to play almost as well on every single game as i could on the arcade ports.

all this on a 13 inch CRT, and it looks and sounds great, is light, portable, and has a great selection.

wow.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

-1 I think it is a repack. Pacman 256 is on the BanDai unit. But an act of dumb luck I found one in a bashed up box when they were new on the market like 3-4 years ago at a flea market for $5 and I was all over it. It's as close as you can get for arcade correctness from some over the counter big box store toy for the TV and it nicely even saves all your scoring progress too.

I'll confirm as far as I can get (not very in most) your observations are right as it's a really nice thing and borderline accurate as they come. I don't know if you're that good or using some weird trickery to get that deep in the game to figure out the 1M in Galaga and the rest but that is good enough to know. I've only use it on LED TV and even on there it doesn't have the usual poorer static/spotty output RCA stuff from Jakks exhibits so horribly as BanDai did a little something to clean it up (better shielding/wiring?)

-1 I think it is a repack. Pacman 256 is on the BanDai unit. But an act of dumb luck I found one in a bashed up box when they were new on the market like 3-4 years ago at a flea market for $5 and I was all over it. It's as close as you can get for arcade correctness from some over the counter big box store toy for the TV and it nicely even saves all your scoring progress too.

I'll confirm as far as I can get (not very in most) your observations are right as it's a really nice thing and borderline accurate as they come. I don't know if you're that good or using some weird trickery to get that deep in the game to figure out the 1M in Galaga and the rest but that is good enough to know. I've only use it on LED TV and even on there it doesn't have the usual poorer static/spotty output RCA stuff from Jakks exhibits so horribly as BanDai did a little something to clean it up (better shielding/wiring?)

i can killscreen pacman, get 300k on superpacman, 200k+ on pacnpal and pac man plus, get 1.7 million on galaga,

1.2 million on dig dug with 5 men, etc, etc. i'm ok at bosconian and new rally x, and xevious.

i'm terrible at mappy and galaxian.

so yeah, i've played all the arcade versions to death, and top the leaderboards on almost every game on

the xbox one leaderboards. currently working on being the first to a million on ms pac man, i'm at 340k.

i have youtube videos under negative1ne, and xbox 360 showing glitches, rollovers, and high level

play for pretty much every namco and atari game that i like out there. some are using savestates,

but most are actual gameplay.

anyone should be able to get a million on galaga, if they use the no shooting glitch.

i can play for hours if i do that. i will get to level 255 to see if it killscreens or starts over though.

later

Edited by negative1

I don't ever remember the no shooting glitch, probably should. My best is usually 170k plus slugging it out in Galaga, but this is super infrequent play. Pac-Man when I was more often using it I never could get far, I guess you have to remember how the ghosts move and my memory fails me on remembering such things so I'm lucky to roll over the food items. It's nice to know you've kept up with it over like 40 years so you can verify if these things suck or not. It is nice to know it's consistent finally in a tv-games unit.

I've been pondering my icade I ended up getting as I can't figure out if the games work right or not on that, if they don't they're fairly close as I know it's some early cannibalized mame build on a chip with emulated audio.

I don't ever remember the no shooting glitch, probably should. My best is usually 170k plus slugging it out in Galaga, but this is super infrequent play. Pac-Man when I was more often using it I never could get far, I guess you have to remember how the ghosts move and my memory fails me on remembering such things so I'm lucky to roll over the food items. It's nice to know you've kept up with it over like 40 years so you can verify if these things suck or not. It is nice to know it's consistent finally in a tv-games unit.

I've been pondering my icade I ended up getting as I can't figure out if the games work right or not on that, if they don't they're fairly close as I know it's some early cannibalized mame build on a chip with emulated audio.

in 1 week you can learn pac-man patterns, to get to the 9th key, where they repeat until level 256 killscreen.

check out youtube, if you learn the 'apple' pattern that will get you up to the 8th key, and then learn 'stacked'

for the 9th key.

apple:

stacked:

for galaga, here is the no shoot glitch:

leave the 2 left hand bee's on the first level, kill other enemies, and dodge shots (until 256 of them pass),

this should take about 10-15 minutes, and make sure they both stop firing. then learn how to dodge the enemies

because they get faster.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Thanks 1

Well if my crap short term would allow me to absorb that I'd kill at Pac-Man that's for certain, but hell I still can't get through more than probably 10-20% of Dragon's Lair still. :D Galaga though, dodging has rarely been an issue for me in that game, it's usually the convergence of annoying bullets that cause my demise once the game gets into the teens for waves and up. The amount of times I get rammed are infrequent enough I'd outpace that in extra lives.

Well if my crap short term would allow me to absorb that I'd kill at Pac-Man that's for certain, but hell I still can't get through more than probably 10-20% of Dragon's Lair still. :D Galaga though, dodging has rarely been an issue for me in that game, it's usually the convergence of annoying bullets that cause my demise once the game gets into the teens for waves and up. The amount of times I get rammed are infrequent enough I'd outpace that in extra lives.

if you're not used to the speed up after level 16 in galaga, you will get killed quickly.

remember extra men only come every 70k, so you need to get perfects on all the bonus stages,

and if you haven't seen the scorpions, satellites, galaga, green bosses, and starship enterprise bonus

levels, you won't know what to do.

its harder in our version, since we can't use the score to get lined up properly.

believe me, the bees, and butterfly speed up like crazy after 1 or 2 passes, and will be the source

of many, many deaths. they were for me.

later

Edited by negative1

This I do not doubt, my best games will get me around wave 15-21 range basically so whatever may come after that is news to me, but the speed up at 16 isn't an issue as long as someone or thing doesn't break my focus on it.

I can't perfect the challenge stages anymore, that lv 21 I did the other week on the 2in1 arcade cab I did it on just one. I'm thinking the iCade emulates it off or doesn't pick up every button fire as I can't score for crap on it on my cocktail which gets me angry, that or the 2in1 Namco made was made easier or set easy at the fun park it sits at for the little kids to play.

I thought the Jakks/HotGen plug and plays were pretty good, starting with Ms. Pac-Man. The one before that with the four way joystick kind of sucked, though, especially since it had Bosconian as one of the available games. No diagonal movement, no "blasst awlf" at the start of each stage... I suspect it was an NES on a chip, as many of those early PnPs tended to be. My point is, all the ones AFTER that one were pretty good.

I was put off by the design of Bandai's Pac-Man plug 'n play. Looks like those edges of that pixelated Pac-Man would do a number on a man's hands. Still, if it's as good as you say it is, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. It is by Namco's parent company, after all.

I thought the Jakks/HotGen plug and plays were pretty good, starting with Ms. Pac-Man. The one before that with the four way joystick kind of sucked, though, especially since it had Bosconian as one of the available games. No diagonal movement, no "blasst awlf" at the start of each stage... I suspect it was an NES on a chip, as many of those early PnPs tended to be. My point is, all the ones AFTER that one were pretty good.

I was put off by the design of Bandai's Pac-Man plug 'n play. Looks like those edges of that pixelated Pac-Man would do a number on a man's hands. Still, if it's as good as you say it is, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. It is by Namco's parent company, after all.

i played the bandai plug n play for 3 hours+ straight yesterday.

by the way, the galaga crash reboot looked exactly like this:

our version does a full reset though.

1st hour, put controller flat, 2nd hour and 3rd hour, held it on lap. i used my left hand to

stabilize it, and right hand to fire. no cramps, no discomfort at all.

it looked like it was going to be terrible, but as long as you don't apply too much pressure,

this is one of the most comfortable non-arcade joysticks i've ever used.

even the fire buttons with the indented a-b, have low travel and a satisfying soft click.

i'm in shock at how well this unit plays, and the quality of the games. all for $10,

best retro gaming investment i've ever made. will look into some kind of permanent power,

or just use rechargeable batteries for marathon sessions.

will try to get to the slow levels in dig dug, that might take awhile, i'm rusty.

they should start at level 136:

and part 2:

later

Edited by negative1

• 2 months later...

On the Pac Man Connect and Play, does anyone notice some games, like Rally-X, don't allow you to put your initials in for the high scores? On my unit, the high scores are recorded, but you can't put your name in. Other games like Dig Dug allow you to.

That's because you couldn't on the original arcade versions. Most early arcade games were like that until 1980, though Namco was a little late and didn't really start allowing initials and more than one top score for many of their games until 81.

BTW, apparently some of the units have a four-way blocker and a more robust "clicky" joystick for better (pretty much every game...) or for worse (...except Bosconian and Xevious). Does anyone know anything about those and if you can tell which are which? I got one when they first came out and never knew they changed it.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone in here ever owned that non-US released (or limited?) Jakks Capcom tv game thing?  It appears to use emulation or simulation of the few arcade titles it has on there and I'm curious about the quality of it.  Truth be told the one thing on there that really only gets my attention is Ghosts n Goblins.  I guess I could deal with crappy MAME again but I've avoided it for like nearly 20 years as I got fed up with their endless bullshit of renaming and renaming folders of rom sets by the release, and then the epic bloat of the total rom archive downloads too.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2018 at 4:27 PM, davyK said:

Really liked the Pacman and Ms Pacman ones from Jakks. The Ms Pacman had twist control for Pole Position which was icing on the cake. Battery life wasn't great though.

Is the the 12-1, i just got it for $15.

The versions are decent. but i can't play most of the games with the buttons on the left side.

battery life on mine is fine, just played galaga for 3+ hours to get to the killscreen.

also:

----------------

Dig dug - runs slow, and color pallette is purple for most of the fruits

galaga - has killscreen, which resets the machine, and no shoot bug options

pac-man - messed up timing, patterns don't work

pac-man plus - messed up timing, patterns don't work

buttons and joystick are rock solid, near arcade quality.

if i really wanted to, unplug an resolder the connections, i could flip the controller around,

and play properly.

later