IGNORED

Consolized DMG Orig Gameboy

I've been working on this for some time now, and finally completed the project. This is a consolized original DMG Gameboy. The shell is an old Pocket case. I mounted an NES port flush on the side of the system, and it has a hole that allows access to the cartridges without having to open it up, along with a power switch on the side of the system and rca out ports. It has the capacity of VGA out and has a built in upscaller. And I've even installed GB buttons on my nes pad, along with a custom made decal I designed that mimics the look of a black GBP.

So a few of you will probably asking "why?". Well outside of the fun of doing a project, there are a few advantages. First, being that it's full speed and in proper (Pocket style) black and white graphics unlike a Super Gameboy. Second, the ability to play with an NES pad. Third, up to VGA resolution with upscaler. And fourth because, it's now it's own console :).

Had a lot of fun with this. It has a power supply that kinda had to bulge out the bottom a bit, so I simply put it on risers. Otherwise, works like you'd expect it to. Love it to death, and I'm now in the process of doing the same with an old Game Gear I had laying around.

Enjoy the pics:

post-44598-0-09255800-1520842567_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-80660700-1520842587_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-29371700-1520842677_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-66761700-1520842694_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I'll try to take some video. Can I post it here? I don't have a youtube account.

The screen is in full screen, and looks razor sharp on a monitor with vga.

I was lucky enough to get a demo board of a device that had a horrifically low production run that gave me the nes controller out and vga out. It's powered by usb, which plugs into the power supply inside along with the video converter to help it produce rca signals.

That's using BennVenn's board it seems.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/porchie-the-vga-out-board-for-your-dmg

Definitely give him credit if so.

BennVenn didn't make what I'm 'taking credit for'. I already mentioned that I received the board that allowed for NES controller output and VGA output from a friend (had no idea who made the thing). I'm merely trying to show off the casing idea, mounting, power switch construction, and assembly job I did.

But for the record everyone, I didn't design this motherboard... and BennVenn likely did as it looks like the same kit.

Edited by MotoRacer

You didn't do anything wrong, it was clear you were just taking credit for the work on the body of the thing, not the board which you stated was given to you. It does look nice either way, and as I said earlier it would be nice to see what the inside looks like if that's possible anymore.

• Like 1

You didn't do anything wrong, it was clear you were just taking credit for the work on the body of the thing, not the board which you stated was given to you. It does look nice either way, and as I said earlier it would be nice to see what the inside looks like if that's possible anymore.

Oh yeah, of course! I want to show off the whole thing entirely, actually. I like the idea of a video... not sure how to post here. I guess I could do a youtube account, though I don't have one atm. I don't have a camcorder, either, but I could try with my phone.

The good thing about the casing being a carry case is that it opens naturally on it's hinge. The board, power supply, ect is all mounted properly with screws, but then I also used a special type of putty as reinforcement. Everyone uses hot glue, and that becomes a mess and it's weak. I wanted to be able to know that in addition to glue and screws, if I pushed on anything hard (nes port / cart slot) I wouldn't break anything.

Being that two things needed to be plugged in (gameboy and vga board plus the video converter) I felt my power supply idea was smart, especially given my space constraints. I used a vga gender converter inside as well. And the VGA converter I found is the smallest on the market. The work took me about 2 days of honest work. But the planning took a couple weeks of careful measuring and product research.

It is quite a nice little board, I will say. Shame he doesn't seem to make them anymore. For those not content with a Super Gameboy or Gamecube adapter (I personally loath the Gamecube adapter for MANY reasons...) it's a wonderful solution. And for the cost of free, it was worth the money I spent on the materials (about 100 bucks) to make this happen.

BennVenn didn't make what I'm 'taking credit for'. I already mentioned that I received the board that allowed for NES controller output and VGA output from a friend (had no idea who made the thing). I'm merely trying to show off the casing idea, mounting, power switch construction, and assembly job I did.

But for the record everyone, I didn't design this motherboard... and BennVenn likely did as it looks like the same kit.

Oh, I never insinuated you stole any credit! The entire point is to show your skill in utilising the board, which you have done really really well. Your work looks great.

I was just saying, any recognition BennVenn can get is worth giving. He does wonders for the GameBoy scene.

• Like 1