IGNORED

Considering a Firebee

So I was involved in a bidding war on a new old stock Atari Falcon on eBay. Naturally... I lost the auction after the price shot up a ridiculous 2x within the last three seconds.

I'm willing to consider other options, and the Firebee has my attention, but I do have some considerations in order to help me greenlight a purchase.

1. Does the Firebee support legacy ST Low, Medium and High resolutions in addition to the modern high-resolution modes like 1080p?

2. Does the midi port actually work? I heard for awhile the functionality on the port was missing.

3. Additionally, can I use Cubase on here out of the box without bizarre tweaks, or is there other software I should use instead for MIDI composition?

4. Is software compatibility as a whole solid for software originally designed for the Falcon? I understand it uses a Cold Fire CPU, which offers additional instructions on top of the ones offered by the 68060.

5. Does anyone know where I can get an Atari ST style keyboard formfactor case I can install my Firebee in?

6. Is FireTOS essentially the same as regular TOS?

Thanks in advance!

1. No support for ST Low (and most ST Low software wouldn't work anyway)

3. No.

4. The Coldfire is not a superset of the 060 instructions. Software which was designed for the Falcon won't work (no DSP).

6. FireTOS is a modified version of TOS 4.x with various enhancements.

Don't think of the FireBee as a super ST or Falcon, it's more like a successor to the Milan or Medusa, i.e. a machine for GEM software.