IGNORED

Any Way for SD Signal on AES?

Thinking of buying one of those AES consoles, the nes knock offs. I like the idea that it offers hdmi, and I like the look and compatibility etc. But I just wish it also did standard def signals. Is there a reasonable way you could have it display in standard def, or at the very least do you think the guys who make it might ever consider making a version with that offered as well?

Youd have to have both the physical connection and reformat the 16:9 signal to 4:3. A lot of work and not a lot of good comes out of the conversions.

If you want SD, youre probably better off getting a Super Retro Trio or modding an original system, depending on your needs for compatibility.

• Like 1

Youd have to have both the physical connection and reformat the 16:9 signal to 4:3. A lot of work and not a lot of good comes out of the conversions.

If you want SD, youre probably better off getting a Super Retro Trio or modding an original system, depending on your needs for compatibility.

Alright, figured it would be too much of a bother. Shame. I'll just stick with the toaster. Thank you!

• Like 1

I think he means the AVS.

Sorry, I have Neo Geo on the brain as I have one coming in... yes, AVS. Sorry about that everyone. Didn't mean to confuse you guys.

+1. AFAIK you cannot get standard definition out of it. It is 720p only but it's a solid console and I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I love what it does and the price point is fair. I just want a system that also plays on my trinitron crt.

Sorry, I have Neo Geo on the brain as I have one coming in... yes, AVS. Sorry about that everyone. Didn't mean to confuse you guys.

Yeah, I love what it does and the price point is fair. I just want a system that also plays on my trinitron crt.

It's been my experience that, as clone systems get better, it's useful to divide them into "analog" and "digital" varieties, and go from there. Being able to do both is a very different animal from being able to do both WELL.

Yeah, noticing that. Again, I want it to do both, so maybe I'll get an AVS just for the living room tv and leave the toaster in the game room...

That's your best bet. I have a NES hooked up to an older CRT for that reason and I use my AVS for everything else. Although, the picture looks so good with the AVS I use that 98% of the time now.

It's just funny you should ask that because the aes is by design sd.

A bit of back story, the AVS stands for "Advance Video System" and gets it's name from an NES prototype revealed at CES (I forget what year). Nintendo was also in talks with Atari to release their Famicom equivalent in the west. Video Game history would have been very different I think if that deal had gone through. 7800 would never have seen the light of day most likely, and heaven only knows what 4th gen and beyond would have been like.

Regardless, Nintendo saw what they believed to be an unlicensed Donkey Kong port running on an 8-bit computer (or was it Coleco?) and negotiations came to an abrupt halt. Probably for the better given that Nintendo entered the mostly dead market on their own and quickly took the nation by storm. Then again their near monopoly stiffled competition by Atari and Sega.

Be that as it may, NES left a lasting impression on the hearts of young and old gamers across the globe. Brian wanted to pay homage to that era by naming his fpga console after the prototype. Does Analogue NT have a backstory like that behind their name? Lol. :P

It's just funny you should ask that because the aes is by design sd.

A bit of back story, the AVS stands for "Advance Video System" and gets it's name from an NES prototype revealed at CES (I forget what year). Nintendo was also in talks with Atari to release their Famicom equivalent in the west. Video Game history would have been very different I think if that deal had gone through. 7800 would never have seen the light of day most likely, and heaven only knows what 4th gen and beyond would have been like.

Regardless, Nintendo saw what they believed to be an unlicensed Donkey Kong port running on an 8-bit computer (or was it Coleco?) and negotiations came to an abrupt halt. Probably for the better given that Nintendo entered the mostly dead market on their own and quickly took the nation by storm. Then again their near monopoly stiffled competition by Atari and Sega.

Be that as it may, NES left a lasting impression on the hearts of young and old gamers across the globe. Brian wanted to pay homage to that era by naming his fpga console after the prototype. Does Analogue NT have a backstory like that behind their name? Lol. :P

It was Coleco. And I don't care if they named the Analogue NT after Miyamoto himself, I'd never buy the thing for that crazy price! Plus, I actually think the AVS looks nicer. Personally.

• Like 1

It was Coleco. And I don't care if they named the Analogue NT after Miyamoto himself, I'd never buy the thing for that crazy price! Plus, I actually think the AVS looks nicer. Personally.

Agreed. The Analogue NT / Mini looked like a futurist n64 console, and the milled aluminum case is excessive and unnecessary.

The Super NT, however, is the perfect spiritual successor to the AVS. ;-)

The purple accents on my super nt symbolize the snes stylings in much the same way the avs symbolizes the NES toaster's blocky style. Too bad the Super NT doesn't have a sliding power switch or functioning eject tab. The AVS usage of nos nes power /reset assemblies is effing brilliant.

• Like 1

Very very excessive and unnecessary. I was fairly interested in that device but that price and price alone made it a cosmic level joke in my book. The Super NT they learned their lesson doing dumb gimmicks to get attention and did it on raw skill and solid design instead to move things forward at a fair price.

Not sure why but I never really cared much for the AVS, seemed a little excessive too paying for 4 controller ports, 2 pin arrays, and a useless scoreboard feature as I don't need my 8bit games in a way infected by the bragging trophy system modern consoles use e-peen measuring against others. Shame there wasn't a stripped down unit that just mimicked the minimalist style of the original NES alone.

Very very excessive and unnecessary. I was fairly interested in that device but that price and price alone made it a cosmic level joke in my book. The Super NT they learned their lesson doing dumb gimmicks to get attention and did it on raw skill and solid design instead to move things forward at a fair price.

Not sure why but I never really cared much for the AVS, seemed a little excessive too paying for 4 controller ports, 2 pin arrays, and a useless scoreboard feature as I don't need my 8bit games in a way infected by the bragging trophy system modern consoles use e-peen measuring against others. Shame there wasn't a stripped down unit that just mimicked the minimalist style of the original NES alone.

I'd buy a cheapo version with the 4 controller ports, standard def out and that's it. I know it's not the original, but I dig their redesigned look, to be fair.