IGNORED

Apollyon - New Alien based game for the Atari 2600

MemberAtarian

I really like that the game follows the lifespan of the Alien creature. Playing as each version is a lot of fun, but is there anyway to stretch out the earlier stages of life? I can locate a human in incubate in them in just a couple of seconds. It takes a little longer to figure out how to reach adulthood, but not terribly so. Then the meat of the game is killing all humans without being killed. This part is surprisingly hard, considering how resilient the Xenomorphs are in the films. That stationary laser is instant death. I have not won the game yet, but will the game restart with increased (dare I say) difficulty?

Conceptually this is a very strong endeavor

I've been giving this some time today, and through many playthroughs, I have the following notes:

I maintain that game play as the face hugger and birthed stages is far too short. The game could really expand out during these phases to really take advantage of the concept you are working on. Maybe it is hard to find the humans to implant upon. Maybe there is something the birthed stage must do (apart from enter the tunnel) to mature. Not sure what those could be, but it's a video game, you've got some creative license here.

Once you become the adult, the game play is extremely frenetic and chaotic. Death is almost instant in any room with a laser cannon, and even encounters with the soldiers can be so blindingly fast that you don't have much time to assess the situation before you are dead. The soldier and the Adult seem to move at maximum speed at all times. That doesn't make for a very fun game, it just makes for an instant win/lose scenario. Stalking the corridors, hunting the humans, evading the hazards should all be very engaging and fun game play elements. At this stage I am not finding that to be true. So much of the Alien movie series has been rooted in being extremely atmospheric and you've certainly laid the groundwork for some amazing and intensely creepy moments in this game (taking out the generators and making things go dark), but it all goes to crap the minute there is anything hostile in the game. It immediately devolves into a split/second win/lose. I would recommend slowing down the game pacing and let the adventure unfold a bit. Is there a way to improve the combat system so it's more nuanced and complex?

The laser cannons are instant death. I think I've made it through a room with a laser cannon once. And I guess that's ok, but it's not terribly fair. Could disabling the generators some how affect the cannons to make them easier to pass? That would incentivize taking out the cannons, but would introduce some risk/reward in that you would also have to deal with the inconsistent lighting.

This is a really cool concept and has a lot of promise, but it's coming up short in the "fun" department for me.

:spidey:

Sometimes I feel that even Atari players don't have any patience. The cannons can't turn, so can be destroyed from behind with one hit. The maze and the layout is always the same, so you have to memorize the map, like in the old days, you will know where the enemies are. The enemies die by one hit and for me, the scientist is harder, the soldier rushes into you and if you attack while running it's a win for sure. The sciencetist at least tries to avoid you. :D

I have two problems I really can't handle. One is that I ran out of space. Really. The 32K ROM is full. I put the Queen at the end instead of Ripley because there was not enought space for a last fight. The same goes for the feeding, originally you would have to find cats and eat them, so you can evolve, but I had the reorganize the banks so any of them will go over 4K. The other is that if a character goes 1 pixel per drawscreen, it's the normal speed and 2 pixels are that hostile mess that you can see. Mayble I will slow down the soldier a little, but that is the only thing I can really do. Originally, I wanted to do 64 rooms and two air-ducts, but that also was too much for the ROM.

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 1

I guess I missed the part about the cannons being destroyed from behind. That is very helpful information. It would still be more fair if the Xenomorph was a little more resilient so that the laser (and soldier) weren't able to take it out in seconds. Even with the new version you posted I was still taken out by a soldier the second I entered the screen.

I was able to save the queen this time around, although I still had a 4 left in my score counter. I thought that was the counter for humans left, but should I be able to save the queen with humans left alive? I have also saved the queen after killing all humans.

Also, I know you are running up against space considerations, but right now the game is really short. Theoretically, knowing exactly where to go and what to do, the game can be beaten from start to finish in under 5 minutes. Would it be possible to slightly randomize the layout of the space station, or move around the generators so that there is more replayability? If the game could start over after each queen save with a randomized layout, that would certainly create more incentive to go again.

Final point, I sometimes have a difficult time getting the chest burster to pop out. I know you said tap the button, but is there more of a trick to it, because I tap rapidly, slowly, and sometimes it pops right away and sometimes I tap for what feels like minutes.

Not trying to be a complainer, but I think this game is really cool and I'm just trying to point out what I see as a player.

:spidey:

I guess I missed the part about the cannons being destroyed from behind. That is very helpful information. It would still be more fair if the Xenomorph was a little more resilient so that the laser (and soldier) weren't able to take it out in seconds. Even with the new version you posted I was still taken out by a soldier the second I entered the screen.

I was able to save the queen this time around, although I still had a 4 left in my score counter. I thought that was the counter for humans left, but should I be able to save the queen with humans left alive? I have also saved the queen after killing all humans.

Also, I know you are running up against space considerations, but right now the game is really short. Theoretically, knowing exactly where to go and what to do, the game can be beaten from start to finish in under 5 minutes. Would it be possible to slightly randomize the layout of the space station, or move around the generators so that there is more replayability? If the game could start over after each queen save with a randomized layout, that would certainly create more incentive to go again.

Final point, I sometimes have a difficult time getting the chest burster to pop out. I know you said tap the button, but is there more of a trick to it, because I tap rapidly, slowly, and sometimes it pops right away and sometimes I tap for what feels like minutes.

Interesting, something must be wrong if you could save the game with humans around, I will have to check it. Also the popping out.
2 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
0 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
10 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
3 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
33 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
19 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
3 bytes of ROM space left in bank 7
88 bytes of ROM space left in bank 8

This is where I am right now. Every room is built up like:

pfcolors (12 lines code of color)

check if there should be something, like a soldier or dead soldier

setting position of the enemies, and room variables to zero

check to room type and gosub to the code segment of soldier or sciencetist behavior if they are in to room

setting if there are directions you can go to, so if there are walls or doors

if the playfield was not drawn, gosub to the code segment that contains the pf variations the room has,

go for sprites (that's a very complicated segment, but I don't need to talk about it here)

A room takes up at least 200 bytes even if it's empty. So the biggest free space is 88 bytes in a bank, that's circa 2 or 3 lines of more advanced code. How could I randomize? :D My other problem is that how could I randomize the layout of the map with checking if there are no dead ends and every room can be accessed? The air-duct is a pure fixed thing, there is a variable that is changed by pressing the directions and that shows the program which fixed image to draw on the screen and purely, that's all.

The only thing I could do is removing colors of the rooms or making the two enemies act the same to gain free space.

The only way to go with randomizing would be upgrading for 64K, but that size is too much for the Harmony cart for example.

Edited by MemberAtarian

Unfortunately, there is not even enough space for a reset command in the main loops (the stage and the air-duct). It would take 160-160 bytes and I have only 80-48. :/

I'm working hard on vectorizing every element to make clear elements for the visuals. :) And really thinking around how to make a strategy game for the VCS. :)

The only way to go with randomizing would be upgrading for 64K, but that size is too much for the Harmony cart for example.

It is too bad there isn't enough room for adding randomization...my suggestion would have been to make the rooms random from the beginning of the game and not only after you complete it first.

Or you can use the Right Difficulty switch so the B=non-random rooms and A=random rooms

It is a fun game even without the randomization

It is too bad there isn't enough room for adding randomization...my suggestion would have been to make the rooms random from the beginning of the game and not only after you complete it first.

Or you can use the Right Difficulty switch so the B=non-random rooms and A=random rooms

It is a fun game even without the randomization

You know, the problem is the size of the randomizing scrip itself. You have to be sure that every single room is connected, and with that, you would have to remove the air-duct part. That takes a lot of space and would be really hard to randomize.

Right Difficulty switch is used for musin on/of. I would put selection in the title instead, BB allows you that.

You know, the problem is the size of the randomizing scrip itself. You have to be sure that every single room is connected, and with that, you would have to remove the air-duct part. That takes a lot of space and would be really hard to randomize.

Right Difficulty switch is used for musin on/of. I would put selection in the title instead, BB allows you that.

Thanks for the consideration.

Please don't put too much effort into adding the randomization if it doesn't fit and you need to remove good aspects of the game.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

image.jpeg.22637afb18f7a483d880e965e0199654.jpeg

Hungarian: Motivaciom.  megdöbbenve tapasztaltam hogy az eredeti. Licenszelt Alien jatek gyakorlatilag egy Pac-Man klon.  mikozbew a franchise ennel lenyegesen tobb lehetdseget nyojt.  remelem hogy sok dromod leled ebben az apro atvezeto animaciokat is tartalamazo jatekban!

English: My motivation.  I was shocked to find that it was the original. Licensed Alien games are practically a Pac-Man clone. whereas the franchise offers significantly more opportunities. I hope that you will find a lot of fun in this game, which also contains apro guide animations!

apro guide animations - cut scenes?  For example, the baby alien transforming into the adult alien is a cut scene in the game.  The sentence would read "I hope that you will find a lot of fun in this game, which also contains cut scenes."  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

18 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

image.jpeg.22637afb18f7a483d880e965e0199654.jpeg

Hungarian: Motivaciom.  megdöbbenve tapasztaltam hogy az eredeti. Licenszelt Alien jatek gyakorlatilag egy Pac-Man klon.  mikozbew a franchise ennel lenyegesen tobb lehetdseget nyojt.  remelem hogy sok dromod leled ebben az apro atvezeto animaciokat is tartalamazo jatekban!

English: My motivation.  I was shocked to find that it was the original. Licensed Alien games are practically a Pac-Man clone. whereas the franchise offers significantly more opportunities. I hope that you will find a lot of fun in this game, which also contains apro guide animations!

apro guide animations - cut scenes?  For example, the baby alien transforming into the adult alien is a cut scene in the game.  The sentence would read "I hope that you will find a lot of fun in this game, which also contains cut scenes."  

https://github.com/MemberA2600/Fortari2600
I added English translation back then to the manual scripts, but since as an Eastern Europian, it's not that easy for me to release a game (it's really expensive and the market is based in the US, so there are shipment costs as well). I was tricked by a Polish publisher and dumped after three years of working with games and graphics, so I decided to make a new development framework for the VCS first, which is a going on project since 2020,takes a lot of time. :( Also I want to design an Adlib based sound card for the VCS with Input reader for peripherals, so my games would be more interesting and appealing. I got an LPT Adlib card, made a player for it on Win and also a midi converter to Adlib, so on the sw part, it's ready to go.

Some of my friends founded a retro publisher company in Hungary for many systems (mostly Hungarian ones, added the Commodore games since those are really popular in Hungary) and since they know me for a long long time, they asked me if I could redesign my Dystopia game for a release, we will see if Don Daglow or anyone owning rights would give the authority. We will see how it will go.

So my intention is going for making better, more advanced games, written in assembly / my own framework, and these bB games are free to use by anyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MemberAtarian said:

https://github.com/MemberA2600/Fortari2600
I added English translation back then to the manual scripts, but since as an Eastern Europian, it's not that easy for me to release a game (it's really expensive and the market is based in the US, so there are shipment costs as well). I was tricked by a Polish publisher and dumped after three years of working with games and graphics, so I decided to make a new development framework for the VCS first, which is a going on project since 2020,takes a lot of time. :( Also I want to design an Adlib based sound card for the VCS with Input reader for peripherals, so my games would be more interesting and appealing. I got an LPT Adlib card, made a player for it on Win and also a midi converter to Adlib, so on the sw part, it's ready to go.

Some of my friends founded a retro publisher company in Hungary for many systems (mostly Hungarian ones, added the Commodore games since those are really popular in Hungary) and since they know me for a long long time, they asked me if I could redesign my Dystopia game for a release, we will see if Don Daglow or anyone owning rights would give the authority. We will see how it will go.

So my intention is going for making better, more advanced games, written in assembly / my own framework, and these bB games are free to use by anyone.

@MemberAtarian Wow, your work sounds amazing!  You are so busy, I don't want to disturb you. 

Do you have the PDF of the final game instructions in English to share with us?  

I, personally, love this game and treasure its addition to the Atari 2600 library.  Thanks so much for making it and sharing it with us!

What a precious gem this game is!  Where does this game fit into the Atari 2600 game library?  

AFAIK it is one of four games for Atari 2600 based on the Alien (1979) series of films.  They are (in alphabetical order):

- Alien vs. Predator (homebrew)

- Alien (20th Century Fox)

- Apollyon (Zoltán)

- Xenophobe (Atari)

And AFAIK it is one of only four games for Atari 2600 where you play as an alien.  They are (in alphabetical order):

- Alien vs. Predator (homebrew)

- Alien's Return (PAL)

- Apollyon (Zoltán)

- E.T. (completely fixed v2 final)

I guess the reason that I mention this is because, although there are hundreds of games for Atari 2600, there were only three based on the Alien films and now there are four.  That's a 33% increase!  And there were only three games where you play as an alien and now there are four.  That's also a 33% increase!  So you see how important this game is for expanding our Atari 2600 game library?   So I guess I want to say thanks again to the programmer @MemberAtarian for making and sharing it.  

22 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@MemberAtarian Wow, your work sounds amazing!  You are so busy, I don't want to disturb you. 

Do you have the PDF of the final game instructions in English to share with us?  

I, personally, love this game and treasure its addition to the Atari 2600 library.  Thanks so much for making it and sharing it with us!

@MemberAtarian  I found some notes.  I think they're yours.  I added pictures.  

Apollyon info - edited.doc

Apollyon - manual.pdf