IGNORED

7800 games you'd like a sequel to.

Inky

Super Mario Bros...espec bcuz In the late 90's during my 1st days of collecting & researching online, it was listed as a "NR (Never Released)" game on whatever the official 7800 rarity guide was at the time. It blew my mind to think that actually had a chance of hitting the 7800 & how it would be..OFC it was debunked later on tho lol

But more realistically, as someone else said, Joust 2 for sure...Dreamt of getting a 7800 port since I saw it in the arcade as a kid & my 7800 was a current console haha

Also Double Dragon 2 would be dope, with better controls than it's predecessor...and if I remember correct alot of the arcade version was kind of a reskin of the original anyway

• Like 1

Yep and it not only looks better on the lynx, it plays better as well.

Yeah - I really wish they'd given Scrapyard Dog a bit more runway and tuned the difficulty and slippery controls more. It's great as a proof of concept and could be a much better game with just a little more work

GOLD!

And this time how about an actual final boss..instead of a damn tile puzzle you have 0.01 chances of beating on time. As much as I love that game, that RUINED it for me. One of my biggest letdowns ever

As disappointing it was for the game to not have a true final boss (like fighting Mr. Big himself), Atari could've done worse for the finale. I remember the first time doing that puzzle. I failed miserably and raged that I got all the way there for nothing. So I decided to look up how to solve a slider puzzle to help me accomplish it. Second attempt, I did it. Since then, I can solve the slider puzzle at the end of the game every single time. It's pretty simple once you know the trick to doing it. Try googling how to solve a slider puzzle.

• Like 1

Try googling how to solve a slider puzzle.

Mind = blown. I always hated those things. How many pieces is the end of Scrapyard Dog? I want to practice the right size grid so I can go finish that one sometime. Thanks for the heads-up. Funny, I just learned how to do multiplication and division on an abacus for no good reason, now I'm going to master slider puzzles. And I complain I have no free time. :)

Edited by Atarifever

As disappointing it was for the game to not have a true final boss (like fighting Mr. Big himself), Atari could've done worse for the finale. I remember the first time doing that puzzle. I failed miserably and raged that I got all the way there for nothing. So I decided to look up how to solve a slider puzzle to help me accomplish it. Second attempt, I did it. Since then, I can solve the slider puzzle at the end of the game every single time. It's pretty simple once you know the trick to doing it. Try googling how to solve a slider puzzle.

Yea the whole idea of that as a boss was still super lame IMO

Sure there's tons of info out there on slider puzzles nowadays, but not necessarily in 1999 when I last tried to beat Scrapyard Dog. lol I distinctly remember pausing the game & running in my sisters room to get her cuz I knew she did a couple of those puzzles, but we couldn't solve it. The pressure of losing the game after all that was intense too, which sure enough happened

I think if anything I might try to get further in the Lynx version of it I picked up recently

Edited by Stevaside

Mind = blown. I always hated those things. How many pieces is the end of Scrapyard Dog? I want to practice the right size grid so I can go finish that one sometime. Thanks for the heads-up. Funny, I just learned how to do multiplication and division on an abacus for no good reason, now I'm going to master slider puzzles. And I complain I have no free time. :)

The puzzle at the end is a 4x4 image puzzle with a picture of Mr. Big's face on it. So that would be 15 pieces with empty space for you to move the pieces around.

Joust, which actually has a sequel that in theory could be ported/remixed and be quite successful (it would likely be better, assuming it used the 7800 Joust gravity/physics to build upon, which are PERFECT).

I mean....why ISN'T there a port of Joust 2? It's never been ported to a home system that I know of (outside of compilations), and there's even a second button on the 7800 for the transformation! Throwing out the vertical aspect ratio would be the biggest "sacrifice" and that would probably make the game better.

I am biased (Joust is basically my favorite game of all time) but this seems like the most logical candidate to me. There's an existing game to hack, there's a real sequel to work towards, and the game would likely be BETTER than the arcade.

Yeah Wheels! Why isn't there a port of Joust 2? Good point!

• Like 1

Yea the whole idea of that as a boss was still super lame IMO

Sure there's tons of info out there on slider puzzles nowadays, but not necessarily in 1999 when I last tried to beat Scrapyard Dog. lol I distinctly remember pausing the game & running in my sisters room to get her cuz I knew she did a couple of those puzzles, but we couldn't solve it. The pressure of losing the game after all that was intense too, which sure enough happened

That really upset me too. It pissed me off that *THAT* was the special challenge. It was nothing like the game at all, and I always hated those goddamn things as a kid. Plus. Scrapyard Dog could be hard as hell in spots, with merciless jumps you have to take in its 17 long levels. At the time, I think it was the longest 7800 game and you could be playing it for hours before reaching the end.

I was so pissed to see that and then to not be able to beat it. With no warp option to get back there

• Like 1

That really upset me too. It pissed me off that *THAT* was the special challenge. It was nothing like the game at all, and I always hated those goddamn things as a kid. Plus. Scrapyard Dog could be hard as hell in spots, with merciless jumps you have to take in its 17 long levels. At the time, I think it was the longest 7800 game and you could be playing it for hours before reaching the end.

I was so pissed to see that and then to not be able to beat it. With no warp option to get back there

Yea IDK how someone thought that'd be a good idea for a final boss. I remember putting a lot of hours & days into trying to beat Scrapyard Dog too, and if I remember correct, some of the sewer levels you had to figure out a certain sequence of pipes to enter or it would keep on going & your time ran out. I do remember making a map & writing down the correct order bcuz t was so confusing lol