IGNORED

The Rings of Atari

JohnW

Hey guys. I have a challenge for you. I just released my game of The Rings of Atari. This little program is based on an old Chinese ring puzzle. First one to post a picture with all the lights off wins.

A little background on this program. Back in 1972 one of my high school teachers was really into science fairs. We all has an assignment to enter one in the school science fair. So being a nerd before the word was invented and playing around with the new digital world of electrons at home I I decided to do the Chinese ring puzzle with digital circuits. I learned a lot like how contact bounce was a plague of the digital world back then and it forced me to research the Schmitt Trigger. I also designed acrylic backlit numbers that were high on the back of my display so people standing around could see what was going on when someone was trying to solve it. Oh yea it was a working display (we were not allowed to use any AC power so I used a small motorcycle battery to power it all).

Well I won the science fair and my teacher decided to enter me into the Detroit Metropolitan Science Fair. I came in first place. The following year the school had another science fair so again studying digital designs I decided to expand what I had. With so many people failing to solve the puzzle I decided to create a punch tape system that could be used to solve the puzzle in real time. The paper tape reader was all custom built with cheap office supplies and some light activated SCR's. The tape was 4 inches wide and I used a paper hold punch for all 178 holes in the proper sequence. The tape was driven with a small motor and rubber wheel from an old phonograph. I won the school and came in second place downtown.

So one day I decided to duplicate the digital circuit using Atari Basic. Again it taught be a lot of programming logic which actually came in handy in my career as an Computer Application Engineer for data acquisition and control down the road. I always wanted to do a Labview version but never got around to it.

So there is the back ground of this little app. See if you can solve it (without cheating on Google). Again the first one to post a screen shot win.

26998639938_44b0f05b1f_z.jpg

26998639898_4a9e79a029_z.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding, but don't we need to run this program in order to play? If so, a down loadable file would go a long way to kicking things off...

Maybe the real challenge is to first create the program ourselves based on the minimal information that was given ;) .

Hi!

So there is the back ground of this little app. See if you can solve it (without cheating on Google). Again the first one to post a screen shot win.

26998639938_44b0f05b1f_z.jpg

26998639898_4a9e79a029_z.jpg

post-18634-0-92002900-1521378408_thumb.png

Solved in my tablet, using Collen emulator.

Nice puzzle, you could write it as a tenliner!