IGNORED

Never played a jaguar

maxdrive

I disagree on Tempest and Wolfenstein. Tempest 2000 is not that expensive and is the original/best version. The Jag version of Wolfenstein is also very different and unique enough to recommend playing on the Jag.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (as am I) ... Tempest 2000 is indeed original and good, but it's 24 years old and has a ropey framerate by today's standards. Unless one already has a Jaguar in hand (in which case they probably already have Tempest 2000), it's best to wait a month or two for Tempest 4000 on modern hardware.

Wolfenstein on Jaguar has nice graphics (like the Mac and 3DO versions), but it's cut-down to only the first third or so of the game, the equivalent to the $15 shareware version on the Mac. I never finish anything, especially first-person shooters, but I finished Wolfenstein 3D on the Jaguar and was shocked to have reached the end of the game. It's not the best place to play the game (honestly, it was old when it was on Jaguar, many years ago) and it's no reason to seek out expensive old hardware.

These were fun games, but they're not system sellers anymore. :-(

• Like 1

If you get a Jaguar CD, just get Battlemorph, Protector Resurgence and Blue Lightning.

That's probably a big "if".

Then again, this is the Jaguar section.. :ponder:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (as am I) ... Tempest 2000 is indeed original and good, but it's 24 years old and has a ropey framerate by today's standards. Unless one already has a Jaguar in hand (in which case they probably already have Tempest 2000), it's best to wait a month or two for Tempest 4000 on modern hardware.

A lot of things from the '90s are "ropey" by "today's standards" (whatever that means), yet here many of us are, still finding enjoyment in them.

In regards to Tempest 2000, yes, there are more recent versions of the formula available. That said, the gameplay in 2000 still has the best balance compared to the more recent iterations (including 3000 and TxK) and features a smoother difficulty progression. The soundtrack also has a greater identity and there are other aspects to the game some might find appealing taken on their own.

Wolfenstein on Jaguar has nice graphics (like the Mac and 3DO versions), but it's cut-down to only the first third or so of the game, the equivalent to the $15 shareware version on the Mac. I never finish anything, especially first-person shooters, but I finished Wolfenstein 3D on the Jaguar and was shocked to have reached the end of the game. It's not the best place to play the game (honestly, it was old when it was on Jaguar, many years ago) and it's no reason to seek out expensive old hardware.

If you spent half as much time actually playing games as you do writing on forums, you would be surprised at how many you would actually finish. :)

As a big classic Wolfenstein (and DOOM) fan myself, I enjoy going back to the various versions with their differences. It's a part of the appeal of some of these and I know many others that feel the same way. Each provides a relatively unique experience and as a result they each stand on their own (specifically speaking, the PC original, the 3DO version, and the Jaguar version).

Perhaps for some, but for others they still are.

• Like 2

I go back to Wolfenstein, Raiden, and Tempest 2000 more than any of them. Doom is good on the console, but I prefer it on ps1 or 360 because of visuals and actual music in the game. AVP is still a decent game to go back to, but not worth the price it commands now.

Edited by madperry

Nothing will ever replace the original Tempest 2000 for me personally. I wanted to like T3K just as much... and then TxK (which is basically what T4K is going to end up being with tweaks) but it's just not going to be as solid as T2K, even with it's minor sluggishness once you reach the much later levels and things get completely out of control.

It would be nice if Minter also has an enable fat vector lines mode for T4K.

• Like 3

You people need to understand, your opinions are not acceptable. Only mine are. This is just how it must be.

Wolfenstein 3D is awesome on the Jaguar.

So is Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, I-War (don't start with me), and many other games.

If you are wealthy, Jaguar is perfect for you, and you should buy every game out there.

There is a guy who owns 2000 copies of Battlesphere Gold, he sell one every few months to fund his opulent lifestyle. He has super-secret protection by undisclosed Federal agencies to ensure his house isn't attacked by foreign insurgents to steal the Jaguar games. They may be used to help fund terrorism due to their vast resale value.

But really, it's like asking if you want a vintage mid-engine Pontiac Fiero GT. Sure, it's awesome... drives like it's on rails, has a huge following... some young Millennial hipster girls will think you're cool, and so will the ~40 something Generation-X ladies.

• Like 3

You people need to understand, your opinions are not acceptable. Only mine are. This is just how it must be.

Wolfenstein 3D is awesome on the Jaguar.

So is Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, I-War (don't start with me), and many other games.

If you are wealthy, Jaguar is perfect for you, and you should buy every game out there.

There is a guy who owns 2000 copies of Battlesphere Gold, he sell one every few months to fund his opulent lifestyle. He has super-secret protection by undisclosed Federal agencies to ensure his house isn't attacked by foreign insurgents to steal the Jaguar games. They may be used to help fund terrorism due to their vast resale value.

But really, it's like asking if you want a vintage mid-engine Pontiac Fiero GT. Sure, it's awesome... drives like it's on rails, has a huge following... some young Millennial hipster girls will think you're cool, and so will the ~40 something Generation-X ladies.

Ah man I wanted a Fieto GT as my first car. I test drove one my neighbor had that was super clean and for sale. But ended up getting a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo instead :) a hell of a car for a 16-year old!

Ah man I wanted a Fieto GT as my first car. I test drove one my neighbor had that was super clean and for sale. But ended up getting a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo instead :) a hell of a car for a 16-year old!

Hah... I had a Fiero in high school, actually still have it (it's in storage 1,400 miles away from me in Central Florida, right next to my wife's VW Bus). My buddy had a 300ZX Twin Turbo, it was given to him by a middle Eastern prince who's life he saved, really just can't make this shit up. But it was a really cool car. Mid 6-second 0-60 times, very unique styling... that was a great car. It's a shame though that the 300ZX kind of fell off the map. It wasn't until the 350Z came back that people started to really appreciate the older Datsun / Nissans. The 300ZXs ended up getting so ragged out, and most of the restored vehicles you see are 240/260 and even 280s. I even see a few 300Zs of the Fairlady chassis around.

Of all the cheap 80s/90s sports cars I've ever had, the one I miss the most is the Porsche 944... such a fun car to drive... I really should never have sold it.

tJZx4o4.jpg

Very nice sir! The 944 was always a sexy looking car as well! After the 300ZX I had an Eclipse GS-T, Toyota MR2 widebody Turbo, and then a Nissan 350z. The MR2 and 350Z were scary to drive in the wet rain they always seemed like the back end was going to slip out on me.

• Like 1

Very nice sir! The 944 was always a sexy looking car as well! After the 300ZX I had an Eclipse GS-T, Toyota MR2 widebody Turbo, and then a Nissan 350z. The MR2 and 350Z were scary to drive in the wet rain they always seemed like the back end was going to slip out on me.

It didn't just seem. It actually was in the process if slipping out, you were just close to the edge that the currently active electronics allowed.

Which means you were driving it like it was actually supposed to be driven :)

Which begs the fundamental question - exactly how on earth did you manage to hold on to your driving license without getting 12 points ? One driving incident like that is usually 4-6 points. Drive over 100 mph (which is nothing with these cars and it's jail).

I can think of only one scenario - you are the police superintendant or you hold some other high-ranking position hence the local police knows better than to give you tickets. And you obviously know better than to drive it outside of a local safe zone.

Because unlike Europe, the U.S. has a terroristic presence of police force, just about anywhere, ready to help with supplemental driving taxes forms. Even in the middle of nowhere, the local highway police - from opposing lanes none the less- will stop you for going over 5 mph on an empty highway (just happened to me - I actually saw the cop hit the gas across median, and 5 minutes later -in full force- he caught up with me - I couldn't help but laugh right in his face - thank god I speak 5 languages, so I can safely curse while talking in English here and smiling :) ).

Care to divulge your secret :) ?

Yeah, with the 350Z I'd have to guess because of the sheer width of the rear tires, and the torque. My Fiero used to be scary in the rain too... with some of the tires I'd have on it over the years. I think it's just because the car is light and... yeah... the weight is more rearward biased.

Never seen an MR2 Widebody Turbo. Was it the Mk1 or the 2nd generation? The Eclipse GS-T, that was the little small AWD Turbo one? or the slightly newer one from like the 1990s? I always liked those... especially the smaller earlier ones, pretty cool cars.

The Porsche 944 was a love / hate relationship. I bought it for $1,600 when I was drunk. Once a year (at the NFL), during draft, our job basically ends... so we're just there for support in case they need our help with the software or anything... but the coaches and staff have been using it all year, so they don't need anything. So we just drink (shh...) and sometimes we get drunk. I made it a habit to buy a shitty car on eBay every single draft for like 5 years straight. One year, it was a Porsche 944 that said "runs."

Towed it down from Central Florida to South Florida with my Crown Victoria.

Long story just a little bit longer... I spent ~$7,000 totally renovating it, which didn't even include a paintjob (though I touched it up). Labor was all me... so that was just parts. Even though it's a 944... I have to remind myself that I'm still buying parts for a car that... in 1980s, was a 40k car (like an 80k car now). Every screw, every bolt... was like $3.50 here, $3.50 there. A single sensor might be $100 something. Crazy prices.

Then my wife was pregnant... and I had 9 cars and a golf cart, and realized I had too many toys and wanted to downsize. Sold the 73 Olds Cutlass, the 81 TransAm, the 84 Porsche 944, one of my Fieros, sold my wife's New Beetle Convertible, sold my Pontiac Solstice, got rid of some crappy Volksagen 422 or whatever it was, don't even remember.

I got an Explorer Sport, and my wife got a Jeep Patriot. We kept the Crown Victoria LX, the VW Bus, and the Pontiac Fiero. My wife still hasn't forgiven me for getting rid of the Porsche. She says I should have gotten rid of the Fiero... but it was my first car!

EDIT: Sorry Al, I didn't see this until after I posted it, had this page open and didn't see. I won't post anymore about that.

Anyway, speaking of the Jaguar... great system, just know what you're getting into. Very expensive to buy for... have to really like that era / genre of games.

Edited by 82-T/A

yep yep back on topic!

For the OP if you can get your hands on a skunkboard that is a great tool to checkout some of the sweet homebrew games that have been made after the commercial releases stopped. I have had some great experiences with a bunch of the homebrew games.

My favorite of the non-commercial thusfar has been Brett Hull Hockey. I was a huge hockey fan back in the day and the graphics are display are not that bad on this game. Definitely worth it to check out!

I don't like your tone son. *shakes fist*

For the OP if you can get your hands on a skunkboard that is a great tool to checkout some of the sweet homebrew games that have been made after the commercial releases stopped. I have had some great experiences with a bunch of the homebrew games.

With SainT's cart, the Skunkboard will be made redundant.

No one knows when that will finally come out. The skunkboard is fairly inexpensive in the meantime. I've enjoyed it!

SainT's thread shows that progress is being made at a rapid rate. The Skunkboard will run someone at least $150 (if you can find one) and it can only hold a single game or two at a time. Installing the drivers and having to have it tethered to a computer to transfer games is annoying. It was a meaningful solution at one point in time, but it's going to be a redundant one shortly. Recommending it is effectively telling someone to throw their money away.

SainT's thread shows that progress is being made at a rapid rate. The Skunkboard will run someone at least $150 (if you can find one) and it can only hold a single game or two at a time. Installing the drivers and having to have it tethered to a computer to transfer games is annoying. It was a meaningful solution at one point in time, but it's going to be a redundant one shortly. Recommending it is effectively telling someone to throw their money away.

Sure thing thanks for the info. I enjoy the skunk thusfar.

Unless used for development.

If you can afford Towers II and dig old school dungeon crawlers, pick it up! Also, not a lot of people bring up Hover Strike or I-War, but i think they are pretty good over looked games on the Jag

x2 on I-War and Hover Strike. Two of my favorite games on the Jag.

• Like 2

Had an 85 Fiero GT which I drove for about 18 years. Miss that car and wish I never got rid it.