IGNORED

Never played a jaguar

maxdrive

Of all the cheap 80s/90s sports cars I've ever had, the one I miss the most is the Porsche 944... such a fun car to drive... I really should never have sold it.

Sweet Porsche! I noticed the Solstice in your picture... I had one of those and a 350Z at the same time. The Solstice was just a mess. Looks amazing and a fun convertible, but wow, sloppy shifting, dog engine, and 23MPG highway with a 4 cylinder. 350Z is another matter.

Back to on-topic...

Jaguar-wise, yes, if you haven't gotten into it yet, it's probably much too late. I started when I would rent one from the video store for the weekend for $15 with Tempest 2000. Then my first brand new one was $35 at a warehouse sale. Most of my carts were bought 10+ years ago, and now I just add the occasional one when I feel like spending money.

Never actually played Wolfenstein on it, because I beat it back in 1992 on a 286 Tandy. Why would I do it again with a gamepad?

Tempest 2000 was a must. And it has my favorite version of Raiden from all home systems.

Also got the Jag CD, back when it was cheap. Had some fun parties with people getting into the Vid-Grid pack in CD. Put a lot of fingerprints on the CRT though!

Edited by thanatos
  • Like 1

Never actually played Wolfenstein on it, because I beat it back in 1992 on a 286 Tandy. Why would I do it again with a gamepad?

Because it's an amazing way to relive the memories of 80286 due to the brutal framedrops on jag :)

You won't see them on YouTube as it's all interpolated after yt processing. You gotta pop the cart in and ... Well just make sure to bring towel with you, if you were drinking something at the moment :)

Nothing beats the constant WTF from them especially after decade of the 60-fps BS one kept reading on these very forums :lol:

Because it's an amazing way to relive the memories of 80286 due to the brutal framedrops on jag :)

You won't see them on YouTube as it's all interpolated after yt processing. You gotta pop the cart in and ... Well just make sure to bring towel with you, if you were drinking something at the moment :)

Nothing beats the constant WTF from them especially after decade of the 60-fps BS one kept reading on these very forums :lol:

dont-panic-towel.jpg

After all your YouTube numberwang, you then come out with this. Amazing!

Oh great, now that's ruined a perfectly good towel. I was enjoying that tea, too.

• Like 2

Sweet Porsche! I noticed the Solstice in your picture... I had one of those and a 350Z at the same time. The Solstice was just a mess. Looks amazing and a fun convertible, but wow, sloppy shifting, dog engine, and 23MPG highway with a 4 cylinder. 350Z is another matter.

Back to on-topic...

Jaguar-wise, yes, if you haven't gotten into it yet, it's probably much too late. I started when I would rent one from the video store for the weekend for $15 with Tempest 2000. Then my first brand new one was $35 at a warehouse sale. Most of my carts were bought 10+ years ago, and now I just add the occasional one when I feel like spending money.

Tempest 2000 was a must. And it has my favorite version of Raiden from all home systems.

Also got the Jag CD, back when it was cheap. Had some fun parties with people getting into the Vid-Grid pack in CD. Put a lot of fingerprints on the CRT though!

Yeah, the Solstice was a total pig when I first got it. High 15s quarter mile all day long (which isn't horrible). I replaced the catalytic converter and went with a shorty header, and a cold air intake, and it really woke the car up. I was doing high 14s in the quarter all day long, so I was pretty impressed. The exhaust (header / cat) really, really restricted the car... I mean, of anything I've ever done to a car in all my years working on cars... I've never see a change so dramatic and drastic as I did replacing the factory exhaust manifold and catalytic converter with a larger CFM cat and the mandrel bent shorty header. DRASTIC change. I typically got about 27mpg when I drove it normal. I actually really liked the shifter in that car. It was the 5-Speed from the pickup truck... (Hummer H3), so... it's not really a sports-car transmission, but ti was durable, and I could really beat on it. Shifts were fast, quick. I really did like the car, but the build quality of the interior components was crap. They had a turbo version, which was a pretty quick car.

I know what you're saying about Wolfenstein 3D... it's one of those few games where I actually feel like the console game version (Jaguar version) is better than the PC version. I think of all the Jaguar games... the Wolf 3D port was done really well.

I DO wish the game had all the levels, like the full PC version did, and I also wish they had Spear of Destiny... but that'll never happen.

Don't listen to madman, he's trolling you.

Pick up Tempest 2000, Missile Command 3D, Super Burnout, Protector SE, Wolfenstein 3D and Rebooteroids. If you get a Jaguar CD, just get Battlemorph, Protector Resurgence and Blue Lightning. Don't get a Jaguar CD, it's a big waste of money.

Fixed that further for you, Bill. :)

• Like 2

I know what you're saying about Wolfenstein 3D... it's one of those few games where I actually feel like the console game version (Jaguar version) is better than the PC version. I think of all the Jaguar games... the Wolf 3D port was done really well.

I DO wish the game had all the levels, like the full PC version did, and I also wish they had Spear of Destiny... but that'll never happen.

I agree. The Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D was one of the very few games on the console I loved without qualification. If you're a fan of the game and happen to have the system, it's worth getting.

• Like 4

I sold my JagCD because there were only 3 or 4 games I really enjoyed. I used the money to buy a Skunkboard and find it is the much more versatile choice for adding games to your Jaguar library.

Very true man! I love the skunkboard. For the most part many of the roms can be played perfectly on the skunk. Only misses the save function which is fine. Of the skunk would do CD games then it would be perfect! I know the SD cart will do that but otherwise most of the games for the CD can easily be found out there and are burnable as well. I like the CD unit for the games it has, even tho there aren't many, but for those of us that live the Jaguar it is still a lot of fun to play. Hell even if the games totally suck I'm still happy to have something to play on the Jaguar and I can basically appreciate just about anything that comes out!

The Jaguar itself is ok,but most games not,cause they do not use the power of the Jaguar.And most games are overpriced...so i sold mine many years ago....The Jag CD

is totally sh....cause it is overpriced and has not many good games....

But i like BUBSY....it is technically not perfect,but i like this simple Jumpn Run

The Jaguar itself is ok,but most games not,cause they do not use the power of the Jaguar.And most games are overpriced...so i sold mine many years ago....The Jag CD

is totally sh....cause it is overpriced and has not many good games....

But i like BUBSY....it is technically not perfect,but i like this simple Jumpn Run

The bad Jaguar games aren't bad because they neglect to use "the power of the Jaguar" - they're bad games 'cause they're inherently bad. It's the same for any game on any platform.

A technically amazing and hardware-wringing bad game is still a bad game.

Look at the ST ports from the last few years. A real mixed bag. Some are great games, others less so. None of them use the "power of the Jaguar" in and of themselves, only by default in CJ & SCPCD's efforts. Good games. Bad games. They're all games and the platform doesn't make them any less or more so. The only factor that affects this is people and their expectations based on varied levels of understanding and acceptance.

As for the Bubsy comment - well this point proves that there are people who can find fun and enjoyment in any given game, even if the majority do not, technically impressive or otherwise.

• Like 1

The bad Jaguar games aren't bad because they neglect to use "the power of the Jaguar" - they're bad games 'cause they're inherently bad. It's the same for any game on any platform.

A technically amazing and hardware-wringing bad game is still a bad game.

Look at the ST ports from the last few years. A real mixed bag. Some are great games, others less so. None of them use the "power of the Jaguar" in and of themselves, only by default in CJ & SCPCD's efforts. Good games. Bad games. They're all games and the platform doesn't make them any less or more so. The only factor that affects this is people and their expectations based on varied levels of understanding and acceptance.

As for the Bubsy comment - well this point proves that there are people who can find fun and enjoyment in any given game, even if the majority do not, technically impressive or otherwise.

Yes....i agree,Bubsy is great.If someone has sprites,which i can use,i could do a BUBSY game for the 7800.

Yes....i agree,Bubsy is great.If someone has sprites,which i can use,i could do a BUBSY game for the 7800.

He specifically said that most people think Bubsy is not great.

Anyway, I bet a 7800 version would be a lot of fun if properly tuned. I'm sure you can use placeholder sprites to get the game running and then I bet a lot of artists would be all-too-happy to contribute proper sprites once you have the proof of concept done.

• Like 4