IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 5: Wizard of Wor

Wizard of Wor

wizard_of_wor_2.gif

Poor old Rainbow Walker, runner up again! BUT we have the awesome Wizard of Wor to play instead :D From the same guy Joe Hellensen who did Pac-Man and both Atari and Deluxe Invaders no less :thumbsup:

"Buckle up buttercup" erm just get into the maze, with a friend if you can rope one in and get blasting :)

Settings Select 7 Lives and turn the TV Volume UP! (Proper game has manual firing)

Round now ends Sunday TUESDAY 3rd April 10PM UK time

Download XEX, Atarimania Info

Bonus Pack Games

I was saving these potential gems (!) for a Berzerk round but this is close enough - we can extend the round if things kick off ;)

robot_dungeon.pngescape_from_syntron.pnggreen_goblins_unicorn_software_3.gifzurk_2.gifmaniac!.png

Robot Dungeon - homesoft disk #344 has compiled version ready to run

Escape from Syntron - looks like there are objects to collect - info in comments on atarimania

See scoring info play for "pretzels" collected my rough map here

Green Goblins - enable BASIC!

Zurk

Maniac! (they made me add this one in) Looks like has only 8? screens. The robots take an extra shot to be destroyed on each screen.

Updated: Season 15 Current Standings

Join in, Have fun, Play ATARI

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended to TUE 3rd April 10pm
  • Like 2

Haha, I see now that Wizard of Wor was on my list of suggested games for this season, yet I failed to vote for it. :-D Fortunately others did. It may have been played multiple times before in the HSC, but it is new to me as an Atari gamer. I've played the C64 & MAX versions though, which are quite different from eachother despite running on basically identical hardware.

Wizard of Wor = 2,000
Esacpe from Syntron = 3,400
Green Goblins = Didn't Work
Robot Dungeon =Can't remember how to load.
Zurk = 1,690

:thumbsup:

Updated 1st post - new link for RD (was from an Anlog mag, I couldn't get the "maker" to work (on emulation) either. GG needs BASIC.

I'll try and put a disk together for them all :)

• Like 1

Sounds fun - will try tonight!

If you want to try a really BAD Berzerk clone as a bonus game - Maniac! by Analog Computing :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-maniac_3134.html

As a child, I had this on a pirated disk and even back then, I knew it was awful. I think I only booted it up once or twice. :D

• Like 2

Wizard of Wor - 35500 pts

post-5454-0-98983100-1521495284.jpg

Bonus games:

Escape from Syntron - 4030 pts (this Shamus like game doesn't display latest or highest score, so be quick to note the score)

Green Goblins - 1720 pts (you get more points for each treasure you pick up the more lives you've lost)

Zurk - 300 pts

I spent a good while trying to create a maze for Robot Dungeon, but it wouldn't load my DUNJIN.DAT file anyhow. I'll try the new download later if it works better.

• Like 1

Great game! One of my favorites in the arcade, even though I've always sucked at it.

69,600. Made it to the Worlord level...never made it that far before.

post-9712-0-37299700-1521496926.png

Gonna try a couple of the bonus games before coming back to WOW.

Zurk: 1,060

post-9712-0-96725900-1521498772.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

If you want to try a really BAD Berzerk clone as a bonus game - Maniac! by Analog Computing :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

As a child, I had this on a pirated disk and even back then, I knew it was awful. I think I only booted it up once or twice. :D

We did check out Maniac! before as a Berzerk bonus game, it's designed to be a 2 player game, you can't get anywhere in 1 player :twisted:

I spent a good while trying to create a maze for Robot Dungeon, but it wouldn't load my DUNJIN.DAT file anyhow. I'll try the new download later if it works better.

I had a quick look at the code but failed to see what was going on - I didn't try on real hardware though. Proably could find the Analog Mag on atarimania and see all the deatils. the one I've linked now (Homesoft) has the resulting XEX file :)

Will be interesting to see if anyone can loop through all of the mazes in WOW ;)

Forgot to say the three runner up games on 5 votes will go into the week's poll!

Ok, I had a round of Robot Dungeon. It is yet another game that automatically restarts so you need to know your score. I also find it bloody hard to get past the robots, in particular the ones that are indestructable. I think I'll spend most of my time this round playing the main game.

Robot Dungeon - 420 pts.

Edited by carlsson

We did check out Maniac! before as a Berzerk bonus game, it's designed to be a 2 player game, you can't get anywhere in 1 player :twisted:

WHAT? I had no idea it was supposed to be a two player game. Well that explains a lot! :-D

First go at Wizard of Wor:

post-6856-0-32925600-1521503703_thumb.jpg

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

Well, if you are talking about this game it allows you choose 1 or 2 players. It is fully playable in 1 player mode. The second player controls one of the bad guys, and can shoot the other bad guys paving the way for player one. Actually I found this one not too shabby compared the other nominated bonus games.

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2300

Maniac! - 240 pts

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

WHAT? I had no idea it was supposed to be a two player game. Well that explains a lot! :-D

Well, if you are talking about this game it allows you choose 1 or 2 players. It is fully playable in 1 player mode. The second player controls one of the bad guys, and can shoot the other bad guys paving the way for player one. Actually I found this one not too shabby compared the other nominated bonus games.

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2300

Maniac! - 240 pts

Yes that's the one - best score last time was 470 but it's not much fun for 1 player.

timewarp trbb: "Maniac! is way too tough (for me anyway) but I think it might be good fun in 2 player as has head to head action. You can position your arm before leaving a screen, ready for the next."

There should be the Analog mag for it with the tell all somewhere.

Intereting comment on atarimania

>>> sparkle - 07/09/2015

did I type this in so long ago, it is an elementary take on Berzerk, but the enemy all look human not robots and the number of hits to kill anyone is the same as the room number. simple way to cheat is do two player mode by yourself, 2nd player always controls an enemy nearest to you and control switches as they are eliminated.<<<

• Like 1

Yes that's the one - best score last time was 470 but it's not much fun for 1 player.

timewarp trbb: "Maniac! is way too tough (for me anyway) but I think it might be good fun in 2 player as has head to head action. You can position your arm before leaving a screen, ready for the next."

There should be the Analog mag for it with the tell all somewhere.

Intereting comment on atarimania

>>> sparkle - 07/09/2015

did I type this in so long ago, it is an elementary take on Berzerk, but the enemy all look human not robots and the number of hits to kill anyone is the same as the room number. simple way to cheat is do two player mode by yourself, 2nd player always controls an enemy nearest to you and control switches as they are eliminated.<<<

Interesting! I found the game's background in Analog issue 6:

https://archive.org/stream/analog-computing-magazine-06/Analog_Computing_06_1982-05_Maniac_Pirating_djvu.txt

Search for the third instance of the name "Rick Messner".

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread with all this. :)

• Like 1

Interesting! I found the game's background in Analog issue 6:

https://archive.org/stream/analog-computing-magazine-06/Analog_Computing_06_1982-05_Maniac_Pirating_djvu.txt

Search for the third instance of the name "Rick Messner".

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread with all this. :)

@graywest

How do you get your Lostcat to run in Altirra ?

• Like 1