IGNORED

Major Chrome and Spacebar Issues

Ikrananka

Having some major issues with the AA site at the moment which started in the past day or two.
Chrome Sign-in and Formatting
I am unable to sign-in to AA when using Chrome. If I click on the Sign In link nothing happens, i.e. the login pop-up does not appear. Pop-ups are NOT blocked in Chrome and Chrome doesn't show that a pop-up was blocked so I'm sure the problem isn't that. It was working fine two days ago.
Also, when browsing the AA forums, the formatting of posts is messed up. I'll attach some pics to illustrate the problem.
I have tried quitting and restarting Chrome and also rebooting my PC with no success.
All other websites and forums that I frequent are working fine.
Spacebar Issues
Due to the above problems I am having to use MS Edge to login to AA and post this message. But, like user cvga, I am having spacebar issues in that when I try and type the content of a new post, the spacebar does not work. Strangely, it worked when I typed in the Topic Title but NOT in the body of the message.
Because of this I am typing this message in Notepad and copy/pasting it into AA.

I'm guessing that this is some AA issue, but any help would be appreciated.

post-5757-0-30935700-1521558500.jpg

post-5757-0-54878600-1521558506_thumb.jpg

Nothing has changed in the last few days on AtariAge as far as the forum software and HTML/CSS, so this looks like something locally on your end with regards to the Login dialog not opening as well as the formatting issues you are seeing. Chrome is my primary browser, and I'm sure many others are also using Chrome and I haven't seen any other results of this behavior.

Now, having said that, the Login dialog is probably displayed via Javascript. Do you have Javascript disabled? If so, that would probably make several things a bit wonky. Regarding the strange formatting issues, it almost looks as if various white space is being removed. I would first hit Alt-0 (or Cmd-0) to make sure the zoom level is at 100%. Then I'd erase my browser cache and try restarting the browser. I'd also make sure Chrome is up to date, which you can check by viewing the "About Chrome" page in the menus.

As for the spacebar, that is strange, and I'm not sure why the space bar would not be working in the editor. The editor is also written in Javascript, so if there's a Javascript issue on your local machine, that could certainly affect editor input. I'd have to fire up my gaming PC and try logging into the forum with Edge to see what happens, before I blame Microsoft for screwing something up.

..Al

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply Albert.

Chrome is now working. I checked that Javascript was enabled and that it was up to date and it was in both cases. I then cleared the browser cache (selecting a time range of "All time" to capture everything) and restarted Chrome and that fixed it. How bizarre!! Anyway, many thanks for helping me get this working again :)

I still have the spacebar issue in Edge, but I don't normally use Edge so personally I'm really not too bothered about that problem.

Chrome is now working. I checked that Javascript was enabled and that it was up to date and it was in both cases. I then cleared the browser cache (selecting a time range of "All time" to capture everything) and restarted Chrome and that fixed it. How bizarre!! Anyway, many thanks for helping me get this working again :)

I still have the spacebar issue in Edge, but I don't normally use Edge so personally I'm really not too bothered about that problem.

Great, glad that clearing the cache resolved the issue. :)

I will take a look at the spacebar issue. If it's affecting AtariAge in Edge, it's surely affecting other sites using this same (third-party) editor, so I can probably find some information about the problem.

..Al

FYI - I was using Edge when I had the space bar problem

The spacebar issue is happening with me again today. Getting out of Edge and getting back in isn't fixing it. I guess I'm going to use FireFox instead.

That sucks, but there is literally nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. :( No idea how long it will take Microsoft to get this fix into a public version of Edge.

..Al

That sucks, but there is literally nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. :( No idea how long it will take Microsoft to get this fix into a public version of Edge.

..Al

No worries. It takes more than a browser issue to keep me away from AtariAge :)

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly Windows 10 Sprint Creators Update (code name Redstone 4) will be rolled out during April 2018 and come with the updated Edge so with some luck you'll be able to return to your preferred web browser in a month, depending on how early you get ahold of the update and how eager you are to install it.