IGNORED

Not my Atari VCS (that console formerly known as Ataribox)

Tidus79001

Reuse of the name Atari VCS for the upcoming console formerly know at Ataribox  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Reusing the name Atari VCS is a misappropriation of the name & leagacy of the original conosle

2. 2. The name Atari VCS for the new console formely known as Ataribox is an appropriate tribute honoring the lagacy of the original console

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You'll also see the term "VCS" used in technical documentation, like the 2600 Field Service Manual:

http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/computers/manuals/atari2600_fsm.pdf

(This might be considered "internal," although it was distributed and used outside the company. It also indicates that Atari did indeed trademark "Video Computer System," for which "VCS" is just an abbreviation.)

Abbreviation are not legal names. The term "VCS" was never trademark by Atari back in the day. It may have been used internally because it was easier to say, but that doesn't mean the CX2600 was ever officially called the "VCS".

VCS was the first name. Said so on the unit and on the box and their early catalogs. It it trademarked also. The 2600 name came later, especially when they needed differentiation from the 5200 and 7800. And when they were changing style and getting into numbers for names for their consoles.

post-4806-0-88424400-1521839307_thumb.jpg

post-4806-0-98529400-1521839413_thumb.jpgpost-4806-0-32052900-1521839412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Abbreviation are not legal names. The VCS was never trademark by Atari back in the day. It may have been used internally because it was easier to say, but that doesn't mean the CX2600 was ever officially called the "VCS".

Doesn't matter if it's official or not.

When you say Atari VCS to people of a certain age, they will think of the 1977 console from their childhood. If they see a product marked "Atari VCS" today, they will think it's a way overpriced flashback unit.

That's why it's a dumb name

It's like "Wii U" dumb

• Like 2

Here you go.

Thank you.

At this point I don't really see a trademark for the term "VCS". The copyright on those mags are for "The Atari VCS Owners Club Bulletin" not "Atari VCS"

Look, I really don't care about Ataribox at this point. I just thought I would point out that the term "Atari VCS" was never the official name of the original CX2600. I realize that people have a strong attachment to that name, but people are throwing the term around as if it was an OFFICIAL Term. It wasn't. That is why current Atari (I'm guessing) feels they can use the name "ATARI VCS".

Doesn't matter if it's official or not.

When you say Atari VCS to people of a certain age, they will think of the 1977 console from their childhood. If they see a product marked "Atari VCS" today, they will think it's a way overpriced flashback unit.

That's why it's a dumb name

It's like "Wii U" dumb

I dunno it was always just atari until the 5200 came out then there was a reason to distinguish it, the stupid box it comes in says VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM by ATARI, or later on ATARI VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM, there's not even an attempt to make an acronym out of it

its not like people say Sega Genesis High Definition Graphics or Sega Genesis HDG, nor does it really matter if you called your SNES Betsy.

edit

also if you do a search for its real name notice you do not see the atarwhee bawx anywhere

Edited by Osgeld

VCS was the first name. Said so on the unit and on the box and their early catalogs. It it trademarked also. The 2600 name came later, especially when they needed differentiation from the 5200 and 7800. And when they were changing style and getting into numbers for names for their consoles.

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_1.jpg

attachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_2.jpgattachicon.gifAtari_CO12737-02_3.jpg

Thanks for the images but, again I don't see the term "ATARI VCS" anywhere in those images. I see "Atari Video Computer System" on those images (legally a big difference). I know what "VCS" stands for, but it don't think it ever was an official name for the original CX2600.

I agree it is very confusing for new Atari to use the name "VCS", but from what I see that actual term (VCS) for a console has never been used officially.

• Like 1

Closest thing I can find that VCS was trademarked is Atari Video Computer System (VCS)TM in this catalog.

attachicon.gifAtari_1982-Poster_4.jpg

That might count!

Then again, the term VCS is in ( ). Don't know if it really matters. Again, I really don't care one way or another because at this point I can't see the Ataco Box really happening anyway.

• Like 1

So, yes, officially on paper:

Atari Video Computer System

Atari 2600

Atari 2600 Video Computer System

Atari VCS

VCS

Atari 2600 VCS

2600 Video Computer System

..are all Atari generated and legally recognized names. Take your pick!

... and you've already put more time and effort into researching the name than anyone at today's "Atari" seems to have put into market research for "That Ataribox?"!

• Like 5

I just did a quick search (so take that for what it's worth) but I don't believe "Atari VCS" was ever officially used back in the day. I was looking at CX2600 system manuals from before 1982 and they always spell out "Atari Video Computer System" and not "VCS". "VCS" looks to be an unofficial nick name of the original console. If that is the case them calling the new console "Atari VCS" technically isn't reusing an old name. Admittedly I could have missed something. Does anyone have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

The very first version of the console, and all revisions including the rebranded Atari 2600 console (the one without the wood grain) had the name "Video Computer System" above the cartridge slot as well as Atari 2600 on the black name plate that replaced the wood grain. It wasn't until late in the life of the console that Atari dropped "Video Computer System" as part of the official name for the CX2600. The Atari 2600 name is much more widely known by most people, and has been accepted as the proper name for the console. It doesn't get much more official than that, that at one point "Video Computer System" was the name for the CX2600 console as the product even carried that name on the physical product itself. None of the third party versions of the console such as the Sears Tele-Games version of the console uses "Video Computer System" as this name was the official Atari name for the CX2600, and not just some nickname to describe the console. I wouldn't be surprised if on the original patents for the the CX2600 if "Video Computer System" isn't also on those documents.

sys_AtariVCS.jpg

sys_AtariVCSC.jpg

sys_Atari2600.jpg

sys_Atari2600Jr.jpg

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 2

https://www.androidcentral.com/theory-new-atari-console-going-be-awesome

VCS stands for Video Computer System, and when I asked why that name was chosen over more iconic options like Jaguar or 2600, the response was simply "we called it a Video Computer System because that's what it is."

no one knows what the fuck a VCS is, outside of nerds on dedicated forums

I mean, you moaners didn't have a problem with NES mini or SNES mini, so what's the problem with Atari VCS? You're just a bunch of moaners.

And no, before you guys trying to defend this Nintendo shit, it is TOTALLY the same.

I'm not defending Nintendo at all. But it isn't the same at all. The NES Classic and SNES Classic are are machines designed to play games of the machines they are named after. The Ataribox is supposed to be a modern system so naming it the Atari VCS wouldn't be the same as the NES Classic or SNES Classic. If Atgames called the Atari Flashback the VCS Classic then that would be the same.

EDIT:

Honestly though I couldn't care less what they call it.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 1

I mean, you moaners didn't have a problem with NES mini or SNES mini, so what's the problem with Atari VCS? You're just a bunch of moaners.

The NES mini and SNES mini are products that actually exist. Plus, the names accurately represent what they are.

The new "Atari VCS" is nothing. An empty plastic box with a couple of LEDs in it. No hardware. No software. No purpose. It is nothing. It does nothing.

If anything might be named the Atari VCS (or more to the point - the VCS mini), It would be a Flashback.

• Like 6