IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

EVERY Atari 2600 Game released in 1983 (Part 5)!

The Atari 2600's 45th Anniversary Countdown continues tomorrow afternoon with the FIFTH part of all the classic 2600 games released to the public in 1983 such as Battlezone, Pole Position, Popeye, Super Cobra, Frostbite and Joust! What are your favourite games from the fifth part of 1983? (list below)

Fri Aug 19, 2022 @ (LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

1369504400_20220819-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.c9329c3eff27672af4be624dca393951.jpg

Spoiler

The Activision Decathlon
Mogul Maniac
Battlezone
Pole Position
Tooth Protectors
Fathom
BurgerTime
Crash Dive
Alpha Beam with Ernie
Krull
Donkey Kong Junior
Mr. Do!
Quick Step
Kool-Aid Man
Popeye
Super Cobra
Thunderground
Ghost Manor
Spike's Peak
Frostbite
Pressure Cooker
Dig Dug
Gravitar
Joust
Moon Patrol
Swordquest: Waterworld
Time Pilot
Laser Gates
Red Sea Crossing
Fire Fly
Sorcerer
Star Fox

Oh yeah another great list!

Decathlon: Break ya joysticks trying to beat a friend, super fun though. Used to get in trouble for breaking the joysticks even though it was actually the games fault...

Battlezone: It's great and very much like robot tank in ways. Most people have a favorite of the two and Robot Tank is for me however battlezone is still a good game.

Pole Position: Well i like racing games and this was ambitious at the time. Just wish there was more tracks but Atari 2600 so understandable.

Pressure Cooker: Brilliant game and find myself playing this one for long periods of time trying to beat my PB

Dig Dug: I remember getting digdug as a kid and thought it was one the coolest games ever. Spent countless hours on this gem and everything about it is great. Graphics, music and gameplay it's all there.

• Like 1

Didn't play any of these back then, but I sure broke some joysticks with Decathlon (C64) until I bought myself a Competition Pro 5000. 

Besides that, I think Frostbite (another Activision classic), Pole Position (I am a fan of good racing games, Revs+ anyone?) and Gravitar (which shares quite some gameplay with Thrust) are my favorites from the list. Only very few stinkers this time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

...until I bought myself a Competition Pro 5000

The Competition Pro was by far the best joystick available back then. Did you know that the original models were made in The Netherlands by a company named Suzo International? Before entering the consumer market, they were already a supplier of arcade cabinet components, so they knew how to make 'unbreakable' joysticks :)

4 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

The Competition Pro was by far the best joystick available back then.

Definitely!

4 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Did you know that the original models were made in The Netherlands by a company named Suzo International? Before entering the consumer market, they were already a supplier of arcade cabinet components, so they knew how to make 'unbreakable' joysticks :)

No, it was sold in Germany by Dynamics.

15 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:
15 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Did you know that the original models were made in The Netherlands by a company named Suzo International? Before entering the consumer market, they were already a supplier of arcade cabinet components, so they knew how to make 'unbreakable' joysticks :)

No, it was sold in Germany by Dynamics.

Hmm, I might have confused the "Suzo prof competition" with the "Competition Pro"... The names sound very similar and these joysticks even look very similar :)

[Edit: There is a German wikipedia page about the Competition Pro which mentions both Suzo and Dynamics: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_Pro]

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

The Atari 2600's 45th Anniversary Countdown continues tomorrow afternoon with the FIFTH part of all the classic 2600 games released to the public in 1983 such as Battlezone, Pole Position, Popeye, Super Cobra, Frostbite and Joust! What are your favourite games from the fifth part of 1983?

I didn't like Battlezone back-in-the-day because it strayed too far from the arcade game (which is my all-time favorite). But I've come to appreciate it a lot more now (in part thanks to playing it in the High Score Club).

Pole Position was (and still is) a disappointment. At the time, I didn't understand why the cars were big orange blobs. I get it now... but I still don't like it. ;) 

Krull had some cool graphics. That must be the only reason I bought it... never saw the movie.

Super Cobra served as an inspiration for Champ Games to remake it properly, so it has that going for it. ;) (It was still impressive for its scope, but the chunky maneuvering killed it). 

I always liked the graphics in Popeye. I thought they did an amazing job of capturing the likenesses of the characters. One of Parker Bros.' best efforts.

Thunderground was (I think?) another Columbia Video Game Club purchase. Either that, or something I got post-crash. It's pretty good though: Dig Dug with tanks.

I bought Gravitar through the Atari Age Magazine, and managed to earn a patch for sending in a score. I played that a lot using a custom five-button controller I'd built for the 2600 version of Asteroids. I can't imagine trying to play Gravitar with a joystick. Fun game, but brutally hard.

Laser Gates was pretty disappointing - I think it was one of Imagic's last games. I don't recall exactly what I disliked about it, except I seem to recall the collision detection was merciless.

Of this lot, I'd say my favorites are Joust and Moon Patrol. Both are really excellent arcade ports, have great graphics and controls, and are a lot of fun. They really capture the feel of the arcade games. It's just a shame Atari was getting so good at making games... right before they were doomed.

I always preferred Battlezone over Robot Tank.  Robot Tank I think may have looked better, but was too repetitive for me.  Battlezone had a nice variety of enemies, you had two enemies at once, and you actually had to worry about them when they weren't on the screen in front of you.

Moon Patrol is another favorite.  I think it kinda gets lost in the shuffle among the other excellent arcade ports from around this time, but I think it's one of the best.  I like that you can turn the BGM on or off with the difficulty switch.

Other favorites are Pressure Cooker, Frostbite, Dig Dug, and Joust.  Quick Step is a fun 2 player game and a bit of a hidden gem.  

Decathlon is the only game I ever gave away for free.  I had it, broke a few joysticks, and decided it was just costing me too much money in repairs so I gave it away.

Regarding the Mythicons: You played the wrong variation. The smiley indicates the practice mode. Other variations have score and even a two player option. Not that this makes the games that much better...

image.thumb.png.73487ae9780dba6959c7967df205bfd5.png

BTW: All games calculate and verify a checksum at the very beginning. They do not continue if the check fails. QC?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Regarding the Mythicons: You played the wrong variation. The smiley indicates the practice mode. Other variations have score and even a two player option. Not that this makes the games that much better...

Thanks for the heads up on this, I replayed FireFly and the score and lives are there now, and you're right the gameplay was not improved even the slightest bit. ;-)

- James

On 8/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: All games calculate and verify a checksum at the very beginning. They do not continue if the check fails. QC?

That's very interesting! Are you aware of any other 2600 games that implemented something like that?

Could it be for possible (very weak) piracy protection?

- James

Yes, I remember that there were other games, just don't their name. Probably I posted them here on AA.

I don't think this is a piracy protection. Except for very bad graphics-only hackers, everybody could easily remove it. I think its meant for easy quality control. Which is pretty funny considering the "quality" of the games. :) 

EDIT: Found the old thread and another one. Maybe it is a piracy protection? The Mythicon code is slightly more advanced, but still...

I compared the three codes. Video Gems and Mystique are very similar, they must have the same origin.

Spoiler
; Sorcerer (Mythicon)
    lda     #$f0                    ;2
    sta     ram_95                  ;3
    lda     #$01                    ;2
    sta     ram_94                  ;3
    ldx     #$00                    ;2
    stx     ram_96                  ;3
    stx     ram_97                  ;3   =  20
Lf011
    inc     ram_94                  ;5
    beq     Lf02e                   ;2/3 =   7
Lf015
    lda     (ram_94,x)              ;6
    tay                             ;2
    eor     ram_96                  ;3
    lsr                             ;2
    bcc     Lf01f                   ;2/3
    eor     #$95                    ;2   =  17
Lf01f
    sta     ram_96                  ;3
    tya                             ;2
    eor     ram_97                  ;3
    asl                             ;2
    bcc     Lf029                   ;2/3
    eor     #$65                    ;2   =  14
Lf029
    sta     ram_97                  ;3
    jmp     Lf011                   ;3   =   6

Lf02e
    inc     ram_95                  ;5
    bne     Lf015                   ;2/3
    lda     Lf000                   ;4
    cmp     ram_96                  ;3   =  14
Lf037
    bne     Lf037                   ;2/3
    lda     Lf001                   ;4
    cmp     ram_97                  ;3   =   9
Lf03e
    bne     Lf03e                   ;2/3

; Missile Control (Video Gems)
L3c58
    lda     #$30                    ;2
    sta     ram_9A                  ;3   =   5
L3c5c
    ldy     #$00                    ;2
    lda     (ram_99),y              ;5
    clc                             ;2
    adc     ram_9B                  ;3
    sta     ram_9B                  ;3
    inc     ram_99                  ;5
    bne     L3c5c                   ;2/3
    inc     ram_9A                  ;5
    lda     ram_9A                  ;3
    cmp     #$40                    ;2
    bne     L3c5c                   ;2/3
    lda     L3ff0                   ;4
    cmp     ram_9B                  ;3
    bne     L3c79                   ;2/3
    rts                             ;6   =  49

L3c79
    lda     #$09                    ;2
    sta     AUDC0                   ;3
    sta     AUDF0                   ;3
    sta     AUDV0                   ;3
    jmp     L3c79                   ;3   =  14

; Bachelor Party (Playaround, Mystique)
    lda     #$30                    ;2
    sta     ram_E1                  ;3   =   5
L3fbf
    ldy     #$00                    ;2
    lda     (ram_E0),y              ;5
    clc                             ;2
    adc     ram_E2                  ;3
    sta     ram_E2                  ;3
    inc     ram_E0                  ;5
    bne     L3fbf                   ;2/3
    sec                             ;2
    lda     #$00                    ;2
    adc     ram_E1                  ;3
    sta     ram_E1                  ;3
    cmp     #$40                    ;2
    bne     L3fbf                   ;2/3
    lda     L3f5a                   ;4
    cmp     ram_E2                  ;3
    bne     L3fdf                   ;2/3
    rts                             ;6   =  51

L3fdf
    lda     #$09                    ;2
    sta     AUDC0                   ;3
    sta     AUDF0                   ;3
    sta     AUDV0                   ;3
    jmp     (L3ffe)                 ;5

• Like 1

EVERY Atari 2600 Game released in 1983 (Part 6)!

The Atari 2600's 45th Anniversary Countdown continues tonight with the SIXTH AND LAST part of all the classic 2600 games released to the public in 1983 such as Mario Bros., Bump 'n Jump, Congo Bongo, Pigs in Space and Buck Rogers! What are your favourite games from the sixth part of 1983? (list below)

Tue Aug 23, 2022 @ (LIVE @ 7PM PT | 10PM ET | 2AM GMT+1Day)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

644146396_20220823-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.8523ddb7c66f78c8339e794d37460e2f.jpg

Spoiler

Star Wars Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
Glib
Chase the Chuck Wagon
Party Mix
Springer
Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space
Big Bird's Egg Catch
Cookie Monster Munch
Pigs in Space
Snoopy and the Red Baron
The Smurfs Save the Day
Boing!
Bump 'n' Jump
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
Survival Island
Sword of Saros
Artillery Duel
Chuck Norris Superkicks
Mario Bros.
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Mountain King
Omega Race
Tunnel Runner
Subterranea
Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man
Congo Bongo
Miner 2049er II

• Like 1

Mountain King is definitely on my list of good 2600 games. Glitch world is always fun when needing a break for trying to beat your PB.

Mario Bros is the only other standout title for me on this list. Not a bad port for the 2600 and plays well.

Probably some others im overlooking but i haven't had my morning coffee yet lol

• Like 1

@ZeroPage Homebrew

Actually you can play Smurf Saves The Day, but it looks like I forgot to give you the trick. You should give it a 2nd second chance next show.

There is an undocumented feature that allows you to play without the Kid Vid Voice Module. To activate it, start the game with the TV Type switch to Color, push Down on the left joystick, move the TV Type switch to B&W, hold down Select and push Up. The difficulty switch settings determine which game appears:

• Greedy Smurf – Both on B;
  • Harmony Smurf – Left on A, Right on B;
  • Handy Smurf – Left on B, Right on A.
  • Having both switches on A allows you to reset the game.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By memory Space Shuttle game mode 1 is an autopilot demo from launch to landing. IRCC you can make subtle inputs however it will still guide the player. Think other modes are full manual control and alot harder. It's been a few years since playing it so im not exactly sure

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:03 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew

Actually you can play Smurf Saves The Day, but it looks like I forgot to give you the trick. You should give it a 2nd second chance next show.

Thanks for the tip, we'll have to give it another go on the next one!

- James

• 2 weeks later...