IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

On 9/6/2022 at 4:10 PM, p1FqO3 said:

Did you bring a portable system and extra batteries to get through that Burning Man 10-hour traffic jam?

On 9/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, Cafeman said:

They are still stuck in it. 🤪

Luckily we left at just the right time to avoid the MASSIVE lineups out of there (I heard reports of 14+ hour lineup out of there) and it only took about 1hr. We had tons of offline music to listen to on the way down and back to the event to keep us occupied. 🙂 

- James

• Like 2

EVERY Atari 2600 Game released in 1984-1985!

The Atari 2600's 45th Anniversary Countdown continues tomorrow with all the classic 2600 games released to the public in 1984 and 1985 such as H.E.R.O., Star Wars: The Arcade Game, Gyruss, Taz and Mr. Do's Castle! What are your favourite games from 1984/1985? (list below)

Sat Sep 10, 2022 @ 10AM PT | 1PM ET | 5PM GMT
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

683085992_20220910-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.cf9f665bd464aa6b04c873cd2a218007.jpg

Spoiler

Extra Terrestrials
Gas Hog
Quest for Quintana Roo
Motocross Racer
Robin Hood
Sir Lancelot
Tomarc the Barbarian
Beamrider
H.E.R.O.
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
Private Eye
Millipede
Oscar's Trash Race
Out of Control
Shuttle Orbiter
Crystal Castles
Taz
Front Line
Espial
James Bond 007
River Patrol
Pengo
Roc 'N Rope
Gyruss
Star Wars: The Arcade Game
Gremlins
Stargate
Birthday Mania
Frogger II: Threeedeep!
Montezuma's Revenge: Starring Panama Joe
Mr. Do's Castle
Spy Hunter
Tapper
Up'n Down
Q*bert's Qubes
Cosmic Commuter
Ghostbusters

• Like 3

So many good games in this line up and too many to list. Some standouts are

HERO: Was unique in gameplay with great graphics

Pitfall II: Needs no introduction, solid game all round

Millipede: Better than Centipede IMO

Montezuma's Revenge: Great action platformer

Mr. Do's Castle: Really good game once you get the hang of it.

Tapper: I like beer and another decent port to the system.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew  I am still missing at least one PAL-only game: Lily Adventure. While it at first glance might look like Bobby is Going Home, the two games are completely unrelated.

Thank you for pointing that one out, It REALLY looks like 'Bobby Goes Home' but it's got a bunch of different screens.

I'll add it to the last stream for tomorrow. Looks like it came out in 1983.

- James

LAST STREAM OF THE CLASSIC GAMING COUNTDOWN!

EVERY Atari 2600 Game released in 1986-1992!

The Atari 2600's 45th Anniversary Countdown concludes tomorrow with all the classic 2600 games released to the public from 1986 until 1992 such as Rampage, Command, Dark Chambers, Double Dragon and Pete Rose Baseball! What are your favourite games from last of the classic era? (list below)

Sun Sep 11, 2022 @ 10AM PT | 1PM ET | 5PM GMT

1393333844_20220911-LetsPlay-AfterDark.thumb.jpg.78cc36f8546a491bfc3d3276a1046472.jpg

Spoiler

Challenge (Unknown Date)
Lilly Adventure (Missed from 1983)

Track & Field
Jr. Pac-Man
Midnight Magic
Solaris

Desert Falcon
RealSports Boxing
Title Match Pro Wrestling
Kung-Fu Master
Summer Games
Winter Games
Skate Boardin': A Radical Adventure
Sprint Master
Super Football
Crossbow
Commando
Super Baseball
California Games
River Raid II
Pete Rose Baseball
Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator
Universal Chaos
Rampage
Dark Chambers
Double Dunk
Double Dragon
Glacier Patrol
BMX Airmaster
Off the Wall
Radar Lock
Road Runner
Secret Quest
Fatal Run
Klax
MegaBoy
My Golf
Pick 'n Pile
Ikari Warriors
MotoRodeo
Sentinel
Xenophobe
Ghostbusters II

Acid Drop

• Like 2

Decent lineup to finalize the anniversary. Few standout for me

RealSports Boxing: Not a game for everyone however i love it. Was a pack-in game with my 2600JR and i played it alot. The game is best in two player mode because the singleplayer AI is far too easy.

Commando: Really nice port to the 2600 and it plays well.

Rampage: Another game you either love it or hate it. Personally i think it plays well once getting used to the controls and some practice.

Double Dragon: It's hard and takes lots of practice to work out the kinks. Could have been done better although it's playable after really sitting down studying the mechanics.

Klax: Who doesn't like Klax?! The game is done well and gameplay is addictive, especially when played in high score club.

• Like 1

IT'S OVER! HAPPY 45th BIRTHDAY ATARI 2600!

Yesterday we celebrated the 45th Anniversary by completing our 45 hour, 14 part retrospective mega-marathon playthrough stream of EVERY SINGLE one of the 448 Atari 2600 games released to the public IN ORDER from 1977 to 1992. Wow, what a playthrough!

We played each game for five minutes (to the best of our abilities) and there were definitely some great games that I never knew about, some games that need a lot more than 5 minutes and confirmation of stinkers that we already knew were stinkers! The biggest surprise was the quality of games in 1983 leading up to the crash. Considering that there were such a glut of them in 1983 I can understand the complaints about market flood during that time. Almost 43% of ALL the classic Atari 2600 games were released in 1983!

Here are my picks for games that stood out and/or I really enjoyed during the playthrough (in order of release date):

Spoiler

Flag Capture

Bowling

Boxing

Warlords

Ice Hockey

Demon Attack

Yars' Revenge

Communist Mutants from Space

Megamania

Amidar

Turmoil

Dark Cavern

Spider Fighter

Obelix

Phoenix

Demolition Herby

Stargunner

Missile Control

Tron: Deadly Discs

Ms. Pac-Man

Adventures of Tron

Frankenstein's Monster

Tac-Scan

Centipede

Spacemaster X-7

Solar Fox

Solar Storm

Mr. Do

Quick Step

Popeye

Super Cobra

Dig Dug

Moon Patrol

Mario Bros.

Subterranea

Beamrider

H.E.R.O.

Pengo

Gyruss

Montezuma's Revenge: Starring Panama Joe

Tapper

Commando

Pete Rose Baseball

Off the Wall

My Golf

As requested, I've attached the spreadsheet that was produced while doing research for the 14 day event. This spreadsheet lists the 448 games we played during the show. It was compiled from various sources and WILL contain errors so don't use it as the be-all end-all of information about these games.

It lists the 'original' name of the game, the earliest found release date of the game, the 'original' distributor of the game, cart number of that specific 'original' release, if it's a PAL only release and/or if it uses something other than joystick, the developers that contributed to the game, genre of the game, other names the game was released under and also any additional information. This spreadsheet does NOT include A LOT of other info such as the name of the other companies that released the game around the world, non-English release names, later releases/re-release dates, names of companies that developed the game, accurate genres and many other things. Again, this list was made specifically for the event and is not intended to be used for serious research into the games. The list also DOES NOT INCLUDE non-games such as test carts or compilation carts such as 32 in 1 or re-compiled double-ender carts.

Also, please note that anything that says Jan 1, 19XX means that the game was released SOMETIME during the year but a specific month could not be identified (no games were found to be released in Jan, probably because it was just after the holiday season). Also, anything labelled with MONTH 1, 19XX with a 1 for the date (and not in Jan) means that the game was released during that month but a specific date could not be identified. Most games were found to only be known to released during a specific year and rarely known which exact month they were released. Almost all the dates were compiled from Random Terrain's website below and is a fascinating read about how each date was determined, definitely check it out.

For further information about Atari 2600 releases I suggest starting with the following resources:

Thank you so much to everyone who watched this crazy undertaking!

Enjoy,

James

SPREADSHEET USED FOR COUNTDOWN:

Atari 2600 Released Games 1977-1992.ods

FULL 45 HOUR PLAYLIST:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Once again, good job on this epic task!  On the last stream there was some discussion about what the first homebrew game was (Edtris) and if it was ever "properly" released.  I was trying to remember if I bought my Edtris cart back in the day from a reference in the 2600 Connection newsletter or from a usenet post - and doing a quick google search it looks like it was posted in the usenet group rec.games.video.classic:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.video.classic/c/GCMGhoNMIuk/m/aRKD4Yixoa0J

From this article Ed Federmeyer himself said that Randy Crihfield was making them for 16 1996 dollars each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of

TUE SEP 27, 2022 @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day

On Tuesday ZeroPage Homebrew will have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of the the incredible port of 1942 for the Atari 7800! Brought to you by the astounding team of Playsoft (Scramble, AtariBlast!, Biscuits in Hell) and TIX (Prince of Persia, L'Abbeye des Morts), the jaw dropping graphics, sound and gameplay of this 1984 arcade hit port will keep you coming back again and again to play 'just one more game'! We are dedicating a full show to this astounding achievement as this is one of my favourite games of the vertical shmup genre.

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! See you on Tuesday!

Games:
  • 1942 (2022 Exclusive World Premiere | 7800) by Paul Lay @playsoft (Code), Konstantinos Giamalidis @TIX (Graphics)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 9

EXCLUSIVE FINAL VERSION PREMIERE of

BRUCE LEE: RETURN OF FURY

TUE OCT 4, 2022 @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day

On Tuesday ZeroPage Homebrew will have the EXCLUSIVE FINAL VERSION PREMIERE of Bruce Lee: Return of Fury for your Atari 8-Bit Computer! This is an incredible port by @Ute, @fantômas and @TIX of Vidar Bang's @dmx C64 extension to the classic 1984 platformer! The original Bruce Lee game is one of my favourite from the era and this version brings back all the same amazing gameplay including the Ninja and Yamo, but with all new levels to conquer! We're so very happy to have this incredibly fun game on ZPH and are really looking forward to playing through the the premiere of this final version! See you on Tuesday!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of

LODE RUNNER

SAT OCT 8, 2022 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT

This SATURDAY ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of LODE RUNNER for the Atari 2600 PLUS INTERVIEW with developer Dion Olsthoorn @Dionoid! You definitely don't want to miss this stream of the OFFICIALLY LICENSED port of this classic puzzle platformer. Dion has been able to squeeze all 150 levels and all the incredible gameplay you know and love onto a 32KB cartridge!

Join us on Saturday where you'll be able to ask questions to Dion about the development process and working with Tozai to be able to release this game to the world! See you there!

1732319014_20221005-LodeRunner.thumb.jpg.fb41b9a3b9e92b047656a48419faa358.jpg

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 6

On 10/13/2022 at 7:03 AM, Karl G said:

I don't see a time for the live stream from PRGE tomorrow. What time do you think you will start?

Unfortunately we don't know what we'll be doing at any given moment tomorrow. Just keep watching for alerts for us going live or you can catch it in the archive if you miss it.

- James

prge1.jpg.66cec7b0e399ddcb16f0fb39df6c6fca.jpg

We made it to PRGE and are looking forward to a full day tomorrow of checking out the showroom floor and talking to developers! If you see us around and you'd like to win the last 'ZeroPage Homebrew The Game' cartridge, just come up to us with the right answers to the following questions.

1) Is our cat Atari left or right handed?
2) What did we dress up as on the 2021 Halloween show?
3) What discovery/bug did Tanya find in Bruce Lee Return of Fury (A8) recently while playing?

If you see us interviewing someone, be sure to wait until we're done the interview. 😉

7 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

If you see us around and you'd like to win the last 'ZeroPage Homebrew The Game' cartridge, just come up to us with the right answers to the following questions.

1) Is our cat Atari left or right handed?
2) What did we dress up as on the 2021 Halloween show?
3) What discovery/bug did Tanya find in Bruce Lee Return of Fury (A8) recently while playing?

Those are easy ones! Unfortunately, I'm far, far away... 😂

I'll try to be alert for stream alerts...

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:05 AM, vitoco said:

Those are easy ones! Unfortunately, I'm far, far away... 😂

I'll try to be alert for stream alerts...

Sadly both the wifi and cell speed at the convention were both not adequate enough to do any streaming this year. Hopefully the HUGE number of developer interviews I did at the show will more than make up for it! 🙂 Watch for the videos to be released on YouTube soon!

- James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1